Good Android tablet under $200?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Good Android tabler under $200?

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I've been thinking about it myself; it's definitely not top-of-the-line hardware, but it looks like it might be the best overall value in an Android tablet right now, and it's apparently pretty easy to root it. Do you know whether the one you used was overclocked and/or whether it was running from microSD? I was looking at it and noticed that it's "only" a Cortex-A8 CPU running at 800MHz, but it seems like that should be enough for a fairly smooth experience unless Android is chunkier than I thought (the emulator sucked, but that's to be expected). The experience with microSD supposedly depends on what speed of microSD card you get.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I still quite like the Galaxy Tab. If only it had better specs - though I suppose a 1 GigaBertz is no slouch for a mobile device. I know you said under $200, but I'm willing to bet we see a massive price drop when the Galaxy Tab refresh comes out.

The market is totally over-saturated with second rate Android tablet hardware. Lots of deals to be had, but I just don't have enough knowledge about most of the manufacturers to trust their build quality.

That said, Archos tablets run Android, or at least the new ones do. Now mind you, they are stuck on 2.1 and ATM don't have access to the Android Market, but I'm willing to bet there is a solution for this somewhere on the big, bright web.

I can vouch for Archos quality.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

There is also a tablet called the Augen Touch. Resistive screen and low spec, but can be had for around $100 here in Toronto. Saw it at JC Penny last time I was in New York. Engadget's preview was actually mildly positive.

Edit: fixed your thread title.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

ace wrote:There is also a tablet called the Augen Touch. Resistive screen and low spec, but can be had for around $100 here in Toronto. Saw it at JC Penny last time I was in New York. Engadget's preview was actually mildly positive.
The Amazon reviews are pretty negative. There are 30 total reviews, and half of them are 1-star reviews. Apparently it's terrible out of the box but halfway decent if you take the time to hack the shit out of it (and don't expect it to be as snappy and polished as a $600 smartphone, which seems to be the problem a few 1-star reviewers had). It reminds me a lot of reviews of the original Eee PC with Xandros on it. It looks like it might be an option as long as you know what you're getting into.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Re: Good Android tablet under $200?

Post by ace »

I figure the majority of the people on this site are capable of that type of modification.

I've rarely owned a device that I've thought is perfect on it's own, sans modification of any type. And I much prefer actually being able to fix the little
Qualms I have with hardware/software
Issues.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Radio Shack is selling a Coby Kyro 7" tablet for $135 (sale price, web-only). Amazon has the same for $138. Reviews are mixed.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

I still say get the G tablet if you can find it. The thing has great specs, but viewsonic pooped on it with the interface that was so bad it had to pulled from staples shelves do to complaints. They liquidated the old models on the cheap. I got one and installed a mod rom on it. Runs like a top.

Ex-Cyber wrote:Radio Shack is selling a Coby Kyro 7" tablet for $135 (sale price, web-only). Amazon has the same for $138. Reviews are mixed.
If thats the Mid7015 tab I have that one too. It sucks hard out the box. You can install the watery kyros rom to it and get a nice little tab though.