Goldeneye 007

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Goldeneye 007

Post by Specially Cork »

Anyone bought Activision's latest effort? It fixes every problem with the N64 game (and there were many), but the original has a very special place in my heart and I doubt any developer is capable of making a game "better" than it. So I guess it's fairer to compare this game with other current-gen FPS games. Which puts it top of the pile on the Wii, but behind most on other consoles. It borrows heavily from modern shooters. I guess it was going to get nailed if it didn't, but I probably wanted more of a Goldeneye 007 HD rather than a total reimagining.

So yeah, if you love FPS games and only have a Wii this game is for you. If you have other consoles you've probably played something better. If you loved the original Goldeneye you'll enjoy the fresh lick of paint but will ultimately still have fonder memories of the orgiinal.

Also...no bots in offline multiplayer is a major fail.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Goldeneye 007

Post by mrandyk »

Having Activision on the box is reason enough for me not to buy it, being on the Wii is another reat reason not to.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I didn't mind about that. The no bots thing has really pissed me off though, because I considered it a given. Perhaps it's not so important to most people with online play, but it doesn't work for me in China - and I enjoyed all the vs. bot challenges in games like Perfct Dark and Timesplitters so it would've added a lot of value.

The thing is though - this game has more in common with every other Bond game since Goldeneye than Goldeneye itself. There's very little that makes this game better than say, Quantum of Solace or Rogue Agent - but because this is Goldeneye and it's not as shit as people thought, it's getting higher scores. IGN gave it a 9.0. Ridiculous.

Something I do like though is the modern-Bond take on a "classic" Bond story. Getting the characters and voices in to make a game that isn't a direct movie cash-in is very nice, and I'd love to see 21st century reimaginings of other (older) classic Bond movies. Could be quite interesting.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

If you have other consoles you've probably played something better.
Well, unless you're like me, and really don't care for dual shock first person shooter controls. I can handle it now and play through games, but it hampers my enjoyment of them significantly. Whereas the wiimote FPS controls, when done well, I find a lot of fun. So yeah, I got Goldeneye. It's quite good thus far, I'm about two hours in. I will say the QTEs are quite minor - my biggest complaint is actually the way melee attacks trigger a "melee cut scene", something I've seen other FPS games and I've never liked. It doesn't ALWAYS happen either, just if you're hitting an enemy with lots of health left. At least you're invincible while doing it.

As of now, I'd agree a 9 seems a little high.. But it's very solid, in the 8/10 or a little higher range.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Pretty much what Lartrak said. I'm a few hours into the game, and while the design is nothing groundbreaking, it is definitely a worthwhile purchase. Plus, I like Craig's Bond, so this helps soften the pain of MGM putting the franchise on hold.

But really, the true draw here is the split-screen multiplayer. I hardly ever play games online, but I am frequently on the look out for good party games to play when friends are over. This will be a nice addition in those situations.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Man I can barely play this game with the Wiimote. Maybe I was just not playing it right but I found it very difficult to play with the Wiimote and had to switch to the classic controller after about 10 minutes.

I do like the game, but if you're a massive fan of the movie I dunno if you'd like this. While the same, it's too different.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I find the Wiimote controls disgusting for all Wii FPS games. I'm using a normal controller.

As for the splitscreen multiplayer, I realised something: Even though I never played it as much due to timing in my life, Timesplitters set a new standard for this that will never be beaten.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

BoneyCork wrote:I find the Wiimote controls disgusting for all Wii FPS games. I'm using a normal controller.

As for the splitscreen multiplayer, I realised something: Even though I never played it as much due to timing in my life, Timesplitters set a new standard for this that will never be beaten.
Timesplitters was overlooked because it was on the Gamecube and because others liked Halo for some reason. I really wish that the 4th one wasnt doomed to never see the light of day, nearly all other fps games on this generation of consoles are fucking identical.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

mrandyk wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:I find the Wiimote controls disgusting for all Wii FPS games. I'm using a normal controller.

Timesplitters was overlooked because it was on the Gamecube and because others liked Halo for some reason. I really wish that the 4th one wasnt doomed to never see the light of day, nearly all other fps games on this generation of consoles are fucking identical.
Timesplitters was also on the PS2.

Also, part of the reason Timesplitters is so awesome is because it was made by Free Radical, a developer comprised in part of many of the folks who made the original Goldeneye.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

I dont know how I forgot that it was also on the PS2...but it was my favorite fps from that generation and is sort of like a sequel to Perfect Dark in the same way Perfect Dark is a Goldeneye sequel.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

mrandyk wrote:I dont know how I forgot that it was also on the PS2...but it was my favorite fps from that generation and is sort of like a sequel to Perfect Dark in the same way Perfect Dark is a Goldeneye sequel.
It was also on the Xbox, at least 2 and 3 were.

TimeSplitters is probably one of my last truly favourite console FPS games.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

As much I loved Goldeneye, Perfect Dark and TimeSplitters, I'm happier with Halo: Reach and Modern Warfare II/Black Ops. The older games are still great, but I don't have much fun when I go back and play them. I have a blast playing Reach with my friends now-a-days.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Here is the problem with 90% of FPS today.

Hence why I HATE COD games (though not that halo is much better about it.) I have yet to play this goldeneye game, and lack a wii anyways, but I have a good feeling it will be like this.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Nico0020 wrote:Here is the problem with 90% of FPS today.

Hence why I HATE COD games (though not that halo is much better about it.) I have yet to play this goldeneye game, and lack a wii anyways, but I have a good feeling it will be like this.
What you consider a problem, I consider a blessing. I don't miss finding the blue key for the blue door in a labyrinth of rooms.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

pixel wrote:

What you consider a problem, I consider a blessing. I don't miss finding the blue key for the blue door in a labyrinth of rooms.
So you like light-gun games.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

BoneyCork wrote:
pixel wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/BITmX.jpg

Haha, there's that British wit!

Sure I do, but I don't consider Halo and COD-type games to be nearly as narrowly structured as a light gun game. Sure, there isn't deviation from the path the developer created, but at least the game builds a construct that makes the game more interesting. Granted, I will admit this type of gameplay can be formulaic and shallow. However, these games actually give me a reason to go over the next hill. Now-a-days, I don't consider a large map filled with objectives like "Not die" and "Kill anything that shoots at you" on Mars/Hell/Space Station/Egyptian-like runes conducive to my time. In my opinion, the latest batch of FPSs — although derivative — are still entertaining.

All of this talk about new games sucking compared to the old generations annoys me. I used to wear the same rose-tinted glasses, too, but I guess I got over myself.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

FPS are the main games I play, and there are those that still hold my attention quite well. Bioshock is one of my favorite shooters of all time. Not nearly as cryptic as doom was when it came to finding your way through a level though, but you still get to wander around and figure things out on your own. I'd rather games have more complicated maps and offer the nav point if you wish to turn it on rather than just go forward and not be allowed to explore off to the sides. Games today are still good, or else I wouldn't be a gamer anymore, and I know there were problems with older shooters. When playing PD on XBLA on the hardest setting I had to look up how to do some of the objectives as they don't always give you a very clear idea of what you are trying to do, then you just fail the mission. But I do miss figuring stuff out on my own, rather than have a glowing path on the floor showing me where to go and having Navi or Cortanna telling me exactly what to do and reminding me how to do it when I take too long.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of exploration in FPS games, and it's hardly like the original GoldenEye had any. I just hate feeling like I have zero control of my character because I keep getting bombarded with set-pieces. Why can't I get in the truck on the Dam level before I've dealt with the reinforcements that haven't seen us? It's little things like that that niggle at me.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Nico0020 wrote:Games today are still good, or else I wouldn't be a gamer anymore, and I know there were problems with older shooters. When playing PD on XBLA on the hardest setting I had to look up how to do some of the objectives as they don't always give you a very clear idea of what you are trying to do, then you just fail the mission.
I'll agree with you on that. I enjoyed the tiered difficulty in PD and how the mission changed per difficulty level. It definitely added more to the game for the deft player, while the less experienced still got to play the game too. More games should have this as a standard feature.
Nico0020 wrote:I'd rather games have more complicated maps and offer the nav point if you wish to turn it on rather than just go forward and not be allowed to explore off to the sides.
I love waypoints much more than a persistent map. Rainbow Six games always used these the best. Waypoints give clarity to the overall mission with ham-fisted reminders of the current objective. I never liked the old generation of games like Doom because of their lack of brevity. Aimlessly walking around endless corridors never did it for me, especially without any sort of end goal.

All in all, I will agree that Halo could use some more depth map- and story-wise, but I love close quarters brawling too much to really care. COD:MW2 had me with the story. I've always been a sucker for action movies, so the game fit my tendencies well. Plus, I thought some of the missions offered good maps that required some strategy. In Halo, I mainly bum rush the Elites and Brutes and smack down the Grunts and Jackels.

I'm also glad the era of bald, generic white guy marines wrecking havoc is (hopefully) almost through.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Light gun games are awesome.

Also, I have played this more. Tweaked the controls more. Still quite fun. I liked how there was a club scene and some of the dancers were apparently pulled from Feel the Magic. No, really.

I did try online play as well. It was fun, from what I tried of it.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.