So wait...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

So wait...

Post by Specially Cork »

You guys vote for a president, then 2 years later you have the chance of voting in people who will stop the president from being able to do anything for the rest of his term?

Hilarious.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: So wait...

Post by mrandyk »

Whats even more hilarious is that everyone apparently looks to this country for guidance or some shit. I have no idea how things work outside this country but its apparently the most important one out there despite the dismay surrounding every level of its government.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

DERP DERP CHANGE IS HAPPENING TOO SLOW, I'M GONNA VOTE FOR GUYS TO COMPLETELY BLOCK ALL FUTURE CHANGE
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Wait...your laws need to be passed by both the house and the senate, and they can be controlled by opposing parties? :o
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

BoneyCork wrote:Wait...your laws need to be passed by both the house and the senate, and they can be controlled by opposing parties? :o
Yea, it sucks. It's so much easier when there's only one party that disallows any opposition, and laws are passed without input from the people in any way (they just complicate things).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Quzar wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:Wait...your laws need to be passed by both the house and the senate, and they can be controlled by opposing parties? :o
Yea, it sucks. It's so much easier when there's only one party that disallows any opposition, and laws are passed without input from the people in any way (they just complicate things).
When did I say anything about a one-party system? You elect Obama and the democrats into government, and they can do what the hell they want for 4 years. If you like what they did, vote them in again. If not, vote for someone else. Simple. Midterms are retarded.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

BoneyCork wrote:
Quzar wrote:
When did I say anything about a one-party system? You elect Obama and the democrats into government, and they can do what the hell they want for 4 years. If you like what they did, vote them in again. If not, vote for someone else. Simple. Midterms are retarded.
In all honesty though, sometimes the best of times have come when the President and Congress were at odds with one another. The 1990s were (comparatively to the 2000s) much better times. President Clinton was a Democrat, Congress was controlled by the Republicans (at least after 1994). Things were good.

Now, if the Republicans just do what they've been doing for the past two years, they'll just make themselves look stupid. If they can return to the 90s when everyone worked together, then things might happen. I don't hold much hope for that, especially since it seems like the Republicans in the house are hell-bent on trying to roll back everything the Democratic Congress did over the past two years.

At least the Democrats still have a majority in the Senate to (hopefully) stop any rollback-shit the Republican-controlled House tries to do. Of course, I'm not even counting on that really helping... The Democrats don't seem to be the type to just filibuster everything that comes at them, like the Republicans did. That, and plenty of them don't have spines, and will see this election as damning to them in the future. If they'd just stand up for what they should and show how the Republicans have no willingness to actually HELP the country at all, maybe things would be different.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Over 9% unemployment, even higher if you count the under employed, deficit spending out of control, healthcare crap the majority of the country does not want, hell, even mcdonalds said they would drop coverage unless they got a waiver. All this and more is the great things that have been done in the past 2 years.

This is why a lot of them were voted out. Plus people are generally sick of these politicians.
BoneyCork wrote:
Quzar wrote:
That is not how this country was set up.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Hasney wrote:Yeah, it was mainly set up for people to worship geeky away from the main religious states. But you'll be damned if those crazy Muslims build a faith centre!

All British people have 8 teeth that point in different directions.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Yeah.. because Obama was doing such a great job. pavelbure made one good point and there are many more.

I am in no way saying I support the Republican party, I just do not approve of Obama and most of the Democratic party.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

pavelbure wrote:Over 9% unemployment, even higher if you count the under employed, deficit spending out of control, healthcare crap the majority of the country does not want, hell, even mcdonalds said they would drop coverage unless they got a waiver. All this and more is the great things that have been done in the past 2 years.

This is why a lot of them were voted out. Plus people are generally sick of these politicians.
BoneyCork wrote:
Quzar wrote:
That is not how this country was set up.
I know. Thus this thread.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

The current financial crisis started long before Obama took power. There was absolutely nothing that could have stopped what happened from happening by the time he was voted in as president. The policies that led up to the financial crisis have been in place for decades. If you want to blame anyone, blame the lax policies that were laid upon this country (largely by the Republicans, but the Democrats aren't innocent in all of this either) in the last 40 years for what happened. Unfortunately, most of the country acts only upon their short-term memories, and not upon the long-term.

Remember, under Clinton we had surpluses. We also had a Congress that was willing to work with a President from the opposite party. What this country needs right now is moderation and a spirit of compromise. We don't need the ultra-conservatives nor the ultra-liberals, especially if they're not willing to compromise at all.

Obama has frequently tried to reach out the olive branch to the Republicans in Congress, and they've slapped it away every time. Partisanship is what is ruining this country at the moment. Partisanship is why nothing has been getting done to fix the problems.

Also, in regard to the healthcare overhaul... I don't know who's numbers you're looking at, but the latest numbers I saw did not say that the majority of the country wanted to scrap it. In fact, I think the number was right around 45%, which, while significant, is not a majority. Then again, I think you could find plenty of policies that have been put in place in the last few decades that 45% of the population would rather weren't in effect. Something needed to be done with the healthcare system. The Republicans didn't want to play ball at all. So, a largely partisan bill got passed (although, I along with many other people I know think that it didn't go nearly far enough). That said, if you actually look at what the bill does, it does a whole lot of things that the Republicans were pushing for. If you don't take the 1000 ft overhead summary that has been spoon fed to the country by the media (Fox News, I'm looking at you here), and actually look at the details of what's in it, you're sure to find stuff that makes a whole lot of sense. Of course, in my opinion, the whole thing should have been passed as a series of smaller, more easily digestible bills that people could actually understand (and like I said, more should have been done than what was done).

Anyway, enough ranting from me...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

^ Pretty much everything BlueCrab said.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

The biggest problems are with the mouthpieces of Conservative radicalism. I'm generally a conservative libertarian, but these assholes on the TV and radio are screaming that the end of the fucking world is here, Obama is the anti-christ, and you should buy more ammo than food. They're TEN times worse than the radical liberals who opposed Bush.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

The most troubling thing about this election is the loss of seasoned veterans. Sure, some people will look at long-term members of Congress and go, "HERP DERP DEY FERGOT ABUT US!!!!1" But take Rep. Oberstar from northern Minnesota. After 40 years and a stint on the head of the Transportation Committee, he gets shitcanned because "DERP WE NED 2 GIT RED OF NANCI PELLOSEE!" Within one kneejerk midterm election, senior statesmen are relegated, far from the office where they helped their constituents -- all because people want to get rid of the Speaker of the House. Between South Dakota and Minnesota, there are a few seats that were once filled by respected representatives. But now, teabaggers and scared rural voters ushered in a wave of unknown, inexperienced representatives for an extremely petty and backwards political gesture.

Democrats aren't immune from rattling the cages of their constituents, but during this election, there were a lot of GOP-funded attack ads. Most of them made some claim that "Rep. Jack Johnson voted against the people and voted with Pelosi." Or, "DO YOU WANT DEATH PANELS AND DEBT FOR YOUR CHILDREN?" Usually, they wrapped up with some generic, feel-good promises like, "Meanwhile, Rep. John Jackson wants to cut government spending and keep freedom in America." Granted, I hated any of the retarded ads the Dems ran, but the whole process gets everyone rattled up and paranoid. Meanwhile, both parties succeed in clouding voters' minds and relegate them with cheap buzzwords and warm phrases about freedom.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

I liked most of the things the Democrats got done. I didn't like how they spent the rest of the time running away from every one of their accomplishments. Plus, letting the Republicans have their 41-seat supermajority was stupid. One thing the Republicans did right was when they controlled the legislative and executive branches was very clearly let the Dems know that they no longer mattered and went ahead and did what they wanted. I didn't like most of what they did, but they had the right attitude. The Democrats should have ruled the same way.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

BoneyCork wrote:
Quzar wrote:
I was simply comparing us to one of your other major points of reference that's all. You know...Cuba.

Also two problems with what you're saying: 1) every 4 years it would be a massive change and a lag period where everyone is 'settling in' as opposed to this way that allows a slow constant phasing in and out, 2) major changes to things like state constitutions could only be made every 4 years, which would be a pretty slow turnaround unless you say keep those kinds of elections just don't move *people* in and out.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I'm not saying I have a perfect solution or that Britain is any better. I just see it as strange that a democrat prsident is in power, but the republicans now have the power to stop him from doing pretty much everything he wants to do. Maybe I'm wrong about that, the news coverage just gave me that impression (which is why I originally posted in Null).
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

BoneyCork wrote:I'm not saying I have a perfect solution or that Britain is any better. I just see it as strange that a democrat prsident is in power, but the republicans now have the power to stop him from doing pretty much everything he wants to do. Maybe I'm wrong about that, the news coverage just gave me that impression (which is why I originally posted in Null).
You're pretty much spot on. The fact that the Republicans hold a majority in the House of Representatives basically means they can stall any legislative agenda the President (or the Senate) might have had. The President still has the authority to issue Executive Orders, but they're limited in their scope.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Hasney wrote:I have a question about the American political system.

In terms of presidential elections, technically speaking, you elect a person to say for your state or county or whatever who the president should be, correct?

If this is the case, 2 things.

1) I take it there are laws in place to stop someone from going "LOL SWERVE CITY" and declaring for some other guy

and

2) Do these people have any other role in goverment, or is that it?
Yes, technically we do not vote directly for the President. Technically, there's nothing in place (at a federal level) to stop someone from voting for someone other than who they're supposed to, but about half of the states have state-level laws in effect to prevent that from happening (see this).

As for Question #2 there, no person that holds a federal office may become an elector (see here). The states are free to appoint anyone they want to become electors as long as they hold no federal office, including members of the state government.