PS Jailbreak Finally Hacks PS3 (allegedly)

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: PS Jailbreak Finally Hacks PS3 (allegedly)

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Interesting. I might be buying a 60GB PS3 off someone soon. Hope this goes somewhere!
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Im waiting for some concrete confirmation - but this is awesome news
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I'll be waiting to see two things on this front:

1) Will someone write an application using it to run OtherOS on firmware versions above 3.15?
2) Will Sony patch it immediately, killing it before it can even get off the ground really, and if so, can these guys patch the Sony patches out of the firmware updates?

Its interesting to say the least, but not interesting enough for me to put down the amount of money it is rumored to cost, especially not if it gets patched right away in the next firmware update (which I'm sure Sony will do).
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I think it's fair to say that anybody wanting to use this would have to wave their PSN account goodbye and should probably stop updating firmware from now on.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

BoneyCork wrote:I think it's fair to say that anybody wanting to use this would have to wave their PSN account goodbye and should probably stop updating firmware from now on.
I wonder if you can be tracked down. If it's a USB modchip, you may be able to reboot the PS3 without it and have it resume normal activity.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Eviltaco64X wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:I think it's fair to say that anybody wanting to use this would have to wave their PSN account goodbye and should probably stop updating firmware from now on.
I wonder if you can be tracked down. If it's a USB modchip, you may be able to reboot the PS3 without it and have it resume normal activity.
You can't access PSN unless you're running the latest firmware. I'm assuming that installing the latest firmware would stop this thing from working.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

BoneyCork wrote:
Eviltaco64X wrote:
You can't access PSN unless you're running the latest firmware. I'm assuming that installing the latest firmware would stop this thing from working.
As of right now, its made to run on the latest firmware. I believe that Sony would have to modify the 1st stage bootloader/kernel/hypervisor (lv0) to stop this from working, which probably isn't all that hard for them to do in a firmware update. Then again, according to the people who made the PSJailbreak, the device itself is updatable as well, so its possible that they could respond to anything that Sony does...

It'll be interesting to see what comes of it.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

BoneyCork wrote:
Eviltaco64X wrote:
True, but you can apparently run unsigned code with this thing, so a secondary firmware launcher isn't entirely out of the picture (sort of like devhook in the earlier days of the PSP scene).
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Word is that:

- Sony can easily ban anyone who uses the backup manager while connected to PSN; it reportedly shows up plain as day as "Backup Manager" in your PSN status. No word that they've actually started such banning, though.

- Sony can technically close the hole with a firmware update, though it would be expensive for them.

Still no word on a serious homebrew scene.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Ex-Cyber wrote:Still no word on a serious homebrew scene.
I think that's the key right there. Between that and not being able to use PSN without the latest firmware, this is pretty much worthless.

At this point, the console of choice for homebrew is the Wii. It's easy to softmod (and undo, if you so choose), it has a wide variety of games and ports (even if many of them are pretty simple), it has very mature emulators, and everything is almost stupidly easy to set up and use.

We have a Wii for gaming, and a PS3 mainly for media (though we do play a fair number of Playstation games).

The one real disappointment with the PS3 is that it doesn't manage media better. The playback is superb, but it doesn't have jack for library management. Is it really so hard to implement a simple song/album/artist sort system?

For that reason, I was hoping for a while that a mature implementation of XBMC would be released for the PS3... but the PowerPC fork seems to have ceased development, and now that OtherOS is gone anyway... well, yeah.

The PS3 hasn't worked out to be quite the set-top box that I'd hoped, mainly because of how rudimentary its library management is. I have all my music and an increasing percentage of my movies ripped to my computer, and I was originally hoping to drop a large hard drive in the PS3 and transfer everything to that. That way, our home theater could just be the PS3, the TV, and the speaker system; all the media would be neatly stored away inside the Playstation. But I gave up on using it for music after copying over a dozen or so albums and seeing how crappy the music navigation is. The sound quality is great, it's a solid piece of hardware, and the PS3 supports a reasonable assortment of video types, but the navigation flat-out sucks.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote:Still no word on a serious homebrew scene.
At this point, the console of choice for homebrew is the Xbox. It's easy to softmod, incredibly cheap to purchase, and has a wide variety of games and ports, it has very mature emulators, and everything is almost stupidly easy to set up and use.
Fixed. :P
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

After all that Sony went through to lock the thing down, I never thought the exploit would come down to a stack-smashing attack. Sony can probably patch that part relatively easily (I say "relatively" because patching any early-boot code probably carries some risk of bricking consoles).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

The opensource exploit (psgroove) which doesn't allow backups working unless it has been patched has been ported to run on -n900, some android devices and a ti-84 calculator.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Also, 3.42 is out and blocks the exploit.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Hasney wrote:There's an iPhone and PSP port of PSGroove on the way too, and it can be patched to allow the backup manager.

Not only that, but the rate PSGroove is updating is pretty impressive. They have access to almost every level of the system now and they're theorising that they should be able to install un-signed firmware soon.
And the day they can do that will hopefully be the day that I can safely update my PS3 beyond its 3.15 state without risk of losing half of the reason I bought the thing.

I'll be a very happy person that day, especially if I can get online again.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Yeah, I haven't updated my Phat PS3 since Sony eliminated OTHEROS as well. I actually use Xubuntu on my PS3, so I'm not about to update it.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I gave up and updated when my girlfriend wanted to download FF8 and 9. I had been holding onto the last OtherOS-enabled version, but the main reason I wanted it was for XBMC or something similar... and a mature PS3 port never materialized, so there wasn't really any point. There is a generic PowerPC port which can be made to work, but only after much effort and with severely hobbled capability (due to lack of optimization & not having GPU access).
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Hasney wrote:Pong is the first real homebrew out.
I think that one's using the leaked SDK too.

edit: confirmed
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I read somewhere you can play PS2 games through the Jail Break?

If that is true the 60gb PS3 will no longer be valuable.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I'm assuming there's still no way to jailbreak 3.42, correct? There's a new update out and I'm blocked out of a lot of shit till I update. I want to hold off in case I can jailbreak 3.42 sometime soon, but in the event that never comes... Fuck.