The E3 discussion

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

The E3 discussion

Post by Nico0020 »

thoughts and such, as MS was today

I am all for the new 360 since it does give more for the same price, though I never was a fan of the dust/fingerprint magnet they chose for a finish. I won't be buying one just to buy it, but when my console eventually does die (as I've had it over 3 years and it already RRoD once) i'll pick one of these up.

I was disappointed with their presentation as it was 75% Natal...er....Kinect stuff. The software seems to work better than I expected, but I still think motion control is pretty gay.

I'm curious to see what wednesday has to offer as I dont care about "this years" COD game, and we know Gears and Halo will be more of the same.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Specially Cork

Re: The E3 discussion

Post by Specially Cork »

Might care about the new XBox if it's more reliable. I've steered clear because getting a RRoD in China would be most unwelcome.

I just don't understand the Kinect thing. Trying to turn an established gamer console into something more family orientated is just primed for failure. On top of that, even if you succeed, Nintendo are evidence enough that this market doesn't lead to long-term profitability. Also, while leaked prices are never to be trusted, nothing has come in under $100 yet...
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by mrandyk »

I saw not a single thing that caught my interest today and cant wait for motion control to die out unless it is perfected really soon.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I don't inherently have a problem with a motion controller, but having a game that requires any kind of add-on is typically a great way to marginalize the game unless the add-on is cheap enough to be bundled. Exceptions to this rule are rare. This is almost certainly part of the reason that Wii was developed and marketed as a separate console even though the Wiimote could easily have been made (and, by several accounts, actually was for early development purposes) as a GC accessory. I don't see how Kinect is anything more than EyeToy / PlayStation Eye with a bigger marketing budget and maybe better middleware.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Code-Red wrote:I'm not very interested in Natal, so I'll stick with my JTAG 360 thanks.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I love the idea of Joy Ride.

Just the other day I was thinking how much better Burnout would be if I could play it like I was really steering a car, except without actually holding a steering wheel, and with completely unrealistic steering physics, and standing up.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I feel kind of guilty about it, since it's mostly rehashes of old titles and franchises. But damn, after Nintendo's press conference, I now have a lot of new games to add to my "to buy" list. Can't wait to see what Sony has to offer.

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is Zelda. The DS ones weren't very good, and the motion controls looked pretty glitchy.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I thought all I would care about with the Nintendo conference was the 3DS. But then Kirby Epic Yarn. Holy shit, Kirby Epic Yarn has probably become the biggest game of the year for me.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is awesome, and I can't wait for it.

The new Zelda was a boring. Maybe it's just me getting burned out from the whole Zelda thing, but I was hoping for something a bit more exciting than that. It's the same game they've released a dozen times now, only with even more motion controls.

I was also disappointed in Epic Mickey. The screenshots they showed last year were intriguing, but this game is hardly as 'edgy' as the shots they originally showed. That's not to say it didn't look good. It did. But it's not pushed far enough.

Not much more to add about the 3DS. It's going to be fantastic and holds more potential beyond just a gimmicky 3D screen.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:I thought all I would care about with the Nintendo conference was the 3DS. But then Kirby Epic Yarn. Holy shit, Kirby Epic Yarn has probably become the biggest game of the year for me.
Did you play Canvas Curse? I think it's actually my favorite Kirby game, and it's the first DS game I owned that really made the system feel worth it.
melancholy wrote:The new Zelda was a boring. Maybe it's just me getting burned out from the whole Zelda thing, but I was hoping for something a bit more exciting than that. It's the same game they've released a dozen times now, only with even more motion controls.
Pretty much. It wasn't exactly helped by the fact that the demo wasn't working very well; I really hope the final game is more smooth/precise than that.
melancholy wrote:I was also disappointed in Epic Mickey. The screenshots they showed last year were intriguing, but this game is hardly as 'edgy' as the shots they originally showed. That's not to say it didn't look good. It did. But it's not pushed far enough.
It's a Disney game. How edgy did you really expect it to get? That said, I am still very intrigued by it, and it's definitely on my "intend to buy" list.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Notably missing from the Sony event:

any in-depth discussion of The Last Guardian.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Notably missing from the Sony event:

any in-depth discussion of The Last Guardian.
It was announced for sometime 2010 IIRC. Schedule slip, I suppose.

Also, Gabe Newell apparently likes PS3 now. :lol:
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
melancholy wrote:The new Zelda was a boring. Maybe it's just me getting burned out from the whole Zelda thing, but I was hoping for something a bit more exciting than that. It's the same game they've released a dozen times now, only with even more motion controls.
Pretty much. It wasn't exactly helped by the fact that the demo wasn't working very well; I really hope the final game is more smooth/precise than that.
I'm not even knocking it for it's demo faults. I know things happen. I'm talking how that game looked like a straight-up rehash. The graphics were nowhere near as impressive as Twilight Princess, and had some halfway real, halfway storybook look that wasn't near as impressive. The environment demonstrated was extremely contained, and the bug flying over the environment looked like some areas were not supposed to be seen yet. It might have just been an unfinished demonstration that won't speak to the final product, but this preview did nothing to sell me on the idea of yet another Zelda game. It's time for something dramatic, like they did with Wind Waker. Wind Waker wasn't even that great of a game in the end, but I played it a hell of a lot more than I ever played Twilight Princess.
DaMadFiddler wrote:
melancholy wrote:I was also disappointed in Epic Mickey. The screenshots they showed last year were intriguing, but this game is hardly as 'edgy' as the shots they originally showed. That's not to say it didn't look good. It did. But it's not pushed far enough.
It's a Disney game. How edgy did you really expect it to get? That said, I am still very intrigued by it, and it's definitely on my "intend to buy" list.
Yeah, I know, I guess I was hoping something...darker. But I'll have to wait and see with this one.
Ex-Cyber wrote:Also, Gabe Newell apparently likes PS3 now. :lol:
Gabe looked like a complete slob up on stage. I mean, yeah, that's a standard look for him, but he's on stage at Sony's E3 press conference, at least he could have tucked in his shirt for god's sake.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

As kiddish as Kirby's Epic Yarn looks, it seems like tons of fun. Count me in!
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

melancholy wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote:Also, Gabe Newell apparently likes PS3 now. :lol:
Gabe looked like a complete slob up on stage. I mean, yeah, that's a standard look for him, but he's on stage at Sony's E3 press conference, at least he could have tucked in his shirt for god's sake.
But that would damage his indie cred.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I hate Gabe. The "surprise" was a joke, and of course nothing about HL2: Ep3. Fuck, steam games on Mac was a bigger announcement than portal 2 on Ps3.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

DaMadFiddler wrote:You will watch this now.

Already posted it, you rotten piece of shit.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:You will watch this now.

Already posted it, you rotten piece of shit.
You posted the article. I posted the trailer. Suck it.