3D Game Studio to Dreamcast?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
sahiphop
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

3D Game Studio to Dreamcast?

Post by sahiphop »

Hey guys, this is my first post, hello! I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please direct me elsewhere if this is or if this...

Basically, I'm tapping into game development. I have some original ideas and have always been in love with the Dreamcast. I would love to support the Homebrew scene but this is all new for me.

I know how to burn Dreamcast games whether Homebrew or ISOs, but my question is... If I'm making a 3D game... how can I burn that to a Dreamcast game?

I downloaded 3D Game Studio because I was really impressed by it... I figure once I design a game there, I would have to convert it somehow into an ISO... or would I? Dang, I really have no clue, I'm confused lol.

Can anyone offer some assistance? If 3D Game Studio isn't the best game maker for 3D game design for the Dreamcast, can someone please refer me to a better one? ANY help would be appreciated! I know I'm a newbie, but I don't intend to be for long so any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Inspired by the GREATEST gaming console of all-time!
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: 3D Game Studio to Dreamcast?

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Uh... does it actually support Dreamcast at all? There's no mention of it on the website. The company producing that software would have had to port the engine to Dreamcast.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
sahiphop
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by sahiphop »

Well, that's what I'm trying to get my research on... I've been looking up through Google to find some answers but I'm stumped at the moment... if 3D Game Studio can't be ported to work on Dreamcast, what game making programs / engines can? I'm really seeking a run down on some of the basics because I know there's a lot of people making 2D Homebrew games for Dreamcast but, what options are there for 3D game making for the Dreamcast?

My theory was to make a game using 3D Game Studio, convert it from whatever file type to an ISO using Magic ISO, then burn it using discjuggler. I'm guessing this theory's wrong? XD That's why I came here... to be schooled! Please help a fella.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

If the company that produced it in the first place didn't code Dreamcast support and didn't release the source code (not sure why they would, since it seems to be a commercial product that's still active), don't expect it to happen. If you want to do 3D games on Dreamcast without engine coding, the only major option I know of is to make a Quake mod and run it in e.g. (nx)Makaqu.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

3D Game Studio is a commercial product, sadly, you need an open source 3D engine ported to the Dreamcast before beginning to create a game for the engine. Personally, I'd love to see something like APOCALYX available for the Dreamcast (it's thinking, and I'm dreaming).
Across the Universe
sahiphop
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by sahiphop »

Hmm.. okay I see what you mean.

My next question: Where does a new developer get started for designing homebrew games? I'm so sorry if this sounds completely n00bish... fact is, I am a n00b, but I'd love to do some research. I've found several options..I'm on the DCISOZONE.com site now downloading the WinCE Dreamcast Dev Kit, but someone mentioned that was for more inferior games..

I'm looking for something basic at first to get my feet wet. Heck, it can start off at 2D, I just need to know what a newbie needs to know in order to get started. I know about C++ and OpenGL, but what programs (and tutorials) are there in order to get started?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide!

BTW- This is what I'm confused about... I see a list of several PC to DC ports of games on this site so I'm wondering... if they can port a PC game, why can't I design a game in 3D Game Studio, then port the game file over to Dreamcast?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

sahiphop wrote:Hmm.. okay I see what you mean.

My next question: Where does a new developer get started for designing homebrew games? I'm so sorry if this sounds completely n00bish... fact is, I am a n00b, but I'd love to do some research. I've found several options..I'm on the warezsite.com site now downloading the WinCE Dreamcast Dev Kit, but someone mentioned that was for more inferior games..
First of all, using the WinCE development kit would be illegal, and you're probably not going to find much help with it. There are much better and easier to use legal alternatives available (KallistiOS).
I'm looking for something basic at first to get my feet wet. Heck, it can start off at 2D, I just need to know what a newbie needs to know in order to get started. I know about C++ and OpenGL, but what programs (and tutorials) are there in order to get started?
If you're looking at OpenGL, note that nothing on the Dreamcast will give you full support for it. However, several examples from NeHe pretty much work on the Dreamcast with KallistiOS, and are provided with the examples in KallistiOS. You might want to look at the Programming Discussion forum here (a few forums down) as well. We'd be happy to help you out with KallistiOS, and there are some things provided in there that will help you get started much easier than it used to be...
Thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide!

BTW- This is what I'm confused about... I see a list of several PC to DC ports of games on this site so I'm wondering... if they can port a PC game, why can't I design a game in 3D Game Studio, then port the game file over to Dreamcast?
All of those ported programs required the source code to do so. Since 3D Game Studio is a commercial product that has not has its source code released, its pretty much impossible to port things over. This is much like things like RPG Maker 2000, which has been asked about on these forums several times.
sahiphop
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by sahiphop »

Hmmm I see. Wow, many thanks BlueCrab! I think all my questions on that topic has been answered so far :) I'll definitely migrate over to the Programming discussion forum now! Thanks again!