Fiddler Gets Reorganized

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fiddler Gets Reorganized

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I've got a new project to start on once I finish the radio.

This week, I found someone who was giving away an old Victorian reed (pump) organ. It used to belong to one of the churches near downtown, but the church closed for remodeling several years ago, and at that point they gave it away to a music teacher. The teacher has had it in storage for a while, and was looking to get rid of it... so, free antique organ!

It is in working condition, but is cosmetically rough, and a few of the reeds don't sound. It is structurally and mechanically sound, though (the bellows and pedals are good, all the keys are mechanically functional, and all of the stops work), so it should make for a fun restoration project.

I took off the front panel yesterday just to get the cobwebs out, and discovered the original manufacturer's warranty notice. It had a hand-written manufacturing date: February 12, 1883.

impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Fiddler Gets Reorganized

Post by impetus »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Fiddler Gets Reorganized
Sound like the title of a Berenstain Bears book. :)
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

try refurbishing it and selling it on antiques roadshow for a quick profit. :wink:
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Smiley wrote:try refurbishing it and selling it on antiques roadshow for a quick profit. :wink:
...Yeah, it's probably not in good enough shape for that. Besides that, it was given to me with the understanding that I was interested in actually using it, and that I would give it back if I ever decided I didn't want it any more (the woman who gave it to me runs a nonprofit instrument adoption program). And, most importantly: I got it because I *want* a pump organ :P It provides a unique backing for some of my musical experiments.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

Do I smell a Pawn Stars find? Probably not but it's always worth having it appraised. As much as you think you might want it, your mind could be swayed by a few thousand dollars.
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I have identified eight problems, in order of importance:

1. The cloth covering some of the stop bars inside has torn/deteriorated, making it impossible to fully close the airway even when the stops are closed.

2. Several of the reeds are dirty and clogged with old dust/debris, resulting in some notes not sounding.

After extensive study, I am afraid of damaging the organ if I try to fix #1-2 myself. Instead, I have enlisted the help of a professional organ builder to make these repairs. It costs more that way, but it will get done right. This work should be taken care of this Saturday, provided there are no schedule changes between now and then.

3. The decorative cutout section in the woodwork above the manual is split, and will need to be glued back together before the split gets any worse. This may also result in some cosmetic touch-ups.

4. The finish has worn away at several points, exposing the bare wood. This is especially prominent on the cover for the manual. There is not a thick enough finish on the woodwork to "float" the existing finish over the gaps, so I'm eventually going to have to make a call as to whether to refinish the whole organ, refinish just the rough bits (and try to color match a 130-year-old finish), or just leave it somewhat shabby-looking.

5. The metal framework on the foot pedals has oxidized, and needs to be cleaned. In addition, the carpeting that goes behind the metal grill has completely rotted away, leaving the bare metal plates exposed behind. New carpeting will need to be installed, and the metal backing re-secured to the front plates. I will visit the thrift store to search out a small throw rug to cut up for this purpose.

6. The silk covering the sound ports is faded and torn. (See those gray bits in the picture above? They used to be red, with a gold pattern). I was originally going to try and salvage it, but further investigation has shown that it is probably not the organ's original silk anyway. Instead, I have a pair of old silk pajamas that are falling apart, which I will cut pieces from to replace the decaying cloth.

7. Several decorative pieces are missing. The organ looks as though it used to have a large decorative back coming off the top; since I am the fourth owner of the organ, this piece probably does not exist any more. Depending on how many more projects I've picked up by the time I get through items 1-6, I may construct a new (simple) music stand to sit on top. This is not a priority item, however, as (1) it is completely non-essential to the function and basic appearance of the organ and (2) a back piece in the original Eastlake style is well beyond my skill anyway (plus, mahogany is expensive!)

8. The lock that closes the cover over the manual is missing; there is only a slot in the wood where it used to be. Due to the difficulty in finding and installing a period-appropriate lock and the complete lack of a need for one, this will probably not be fixed. (When I get older, I may change my mind, so that I can protect it from curious children).
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The organ is now fully functional. I haven't done anything to it yet cosmetically, but I had a professional come out yesterday to address a couple of mechanical issues, and I spent last night cleaning the reeds. It's still not pretty, but as an instrument it works perfectly.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

AuroEdge wrote:Do I smell a Pawn Stars find? Probably not but it's always worth having it appraised. As much as you think you might want it, your mind could be swayed by a few thousand dollars.
Despite their age, reed organs really aren't worth jack, many because there is *no* market for them. They fell out of favor in the early 1900s because people started deciding they wanted pianos instead, and after that they started developing electric organs that could get a much wider variety of sounds than the old reed organs.

Even an organ in great condition or that has been recently restored is only worth $200-$400, at the absolute maximum. In realistic terms, though, you almost can't even give them away.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

And now I need to start working on my keyboard skill, so I can start doing things like this: