Totally going for nostalgia here....

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Totally going for nostalgia here....

Post by DuffMan »

For some reason today, while browsing the internet, a memory was triggered while I was looking at some screen shots of Super Mario 3. It was a memory of a good friend and I trying to play the game, and the damn NES spring wouldn't hold the game down. As many of you remember, I'm sure a lot of you do, you would find whatever was around and jam it in the NES to keep the game inside. My main object was either the old black sleeves that the NES games came in (would need 2-3 of them to keep it down), or the plastic bottom protector that SNES games had for a while.

What did you use to keep that stupid game in?
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Re: Totally going for nostalgia here....

Post by lackofsense »

another game
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I never had to do this personally, but my cousins used another game.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Another game, and as I released the power button I would hit reset.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

Insert the game then pull it out just a little bit and it worked...my Nes nerver had the spring problem......

aahhhh the good memories........
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

was there any actual reason behind why nintendo redesigned the system so dramatically when they brought it stateside? That spring was miserable at times.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

We used to use one of those numbered blocks. :lol:

I eventually found out that games are more likely to work when you don't push them down.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Nico0020 wrote:was there any actual reason behind why nintendo redesigned the system so dramatically when they brought it stateside? That spring was miserable at times.
Conventional wisdom is that they wanted to avoid any resemblance to the pre-crash consoles (2600, 5200, ColecoVision, etc.), but I don't think that's ever been supported by a reliable source.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I'd always heard they wanted it to resemble a sort of mix between a computer and a more standard piece of entertainment device. Hence the grey color scheme, ROB the robot, and cartridges that inserted like VCR tapes.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:was there any actual reason behind why nintendo redesigned the system so dramatically when they brought it stateside? That spring was miserable at times.
Conventional wisdom is that they wanted to avoid any resemblance to the pre-crash consoles (2600, 5200, ColecoVision, etc.), but I don't think that's ever been supported by a reliable source.
The book "Game Over" had a few pages devoted to this, with IIRC some sort of citation ('according to blah blah from NOA...'). It's the same reason they named it the 'Entertainment System'. It was intended to blend in better with other home-theater pieces like a VCR. Anyone who has used a top-loading VCR instantly recognizes the motion of the NES cart as mimicing that (much less for the more modern front-loaders).

IIRC this turn was taken after Atari refused to buy the rights to the famicom for stateside release, which Nintendo decided to take as a good thing so as not to be lumped in with the earlier systems. Once this realization was sparked it was easy to see a 'lets set ourselves apart from the old as much as possible'. I seem to remember early NES ads not mentioning other systems at all, unlike the previous generations many many ads typically including direct comparisons to others ('Tennis' being played side by side on a 2600 and Intellivision, etc).

That was apparently also one of the factors in the lack of a joystick in favor of the D-pad, but THAT I've never seen substantiated.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Well, the Famicom had the same style controller, and Japan didn't have the same video game crash the US did. I'd say it was a combination of being able to cut down on the size of the controller (cutting both costs in manufacture and reducing box sizes), more easily fitting extra buttons in, and just generally looking "cooler".

Not to mention, I'm sorry to say, that the d-pad is just functionally better than Atari style joysticks. Faster response and more reliable.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

The d-pad originated from the Game & Watch games. Nintendo even had it patented so that Sega resorted to using those roundish d-pads with mountable sticks for their SG1000/Mark3/Master System line of hardware.
Mega Drive was the first Sega hardware to use an actual d-pad, although still built on a roundish plate (similar to that of the PC Engine / TG16).

Nintendo's patent on the d-pad probably also was the reason why Sony went with d-buttons, and SNK with a (microswitched!) mini joystick.

I really like the design of the NES. - Now the US version of the SNES on the other hand... oh my god I can't believe how ugly it is - even without comparing it to the original Japanese design.
Insane homebrew collector.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I used a game genie, without it, yeah another game