Girl raped; Onlookers do nothing.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Girl raped; Onlookers do nothing.

Post by U-said-it »

Richmond, California (CNN) -- Investigators say as many as 20 people were involved in or stood and watched the gang rape of a 15-year-old girl outside a California high school homecoming dance Saturday night.

Police posted a $20,000 reward Tuesday for anyone who comes to them with information that helps arrest and convict those involved in what authorities describe as a 2½-hour assault on the Richmond High School campus in suburban San Francisco.

Two teenage suspects have been jailed, but more arrests, as many as 20 total, are expected, according to a police detective.
Full Article

My biggest question isn't what should happen to the participants in the assault, but what should the repercussions be for the onlookers?
ImageImage
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Re: Girl raped; Onlookers do nothing.

Post by Quzar »

It happens frequently enough for psychological studies into the phenomenon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Genovese and 'The Bystander Effect'
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

It's about time more people get raped.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

My biggest question isn't what should happen to the participants in the assault, but what should the repercussions be for the onlookers?
Nothing, in a legal sense. Duty to report/intervene laws are wrong. And in any case, don't exist in California except for crimes against children under 14. Which is even stupider that they specify an age limit like that.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U-said-it »

Lartrak wrote:Duty to report/intervene laws are wrong.
I don't think people should have any legal responsibility to be an extension of law enforcement.

Like if you witnessed someone doing drugs, didn't report them, and got into legal trouble yourself. Now that's retarded, and hopefully it will never happen.

But witnessing a violent crime like this, and not reporting it, let alone when it's happening, should legally make you a participant in the crime.
ImageImage
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

U-said-it wrote:
Lartrak wrote:Duty to report/intervene laws are wrong.
I don't think people should have any legal responsibility to be an extension of law enforcement.
But witnessing a violent crime like this, and not reporting it, let alone when it's happening, should legally make you a participant in the crime.
Those two positions can't be reconciled.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U-said-it »

Those two positions can't be reconciled.
How is phoning in a report considered law enforcement? Attempting to mimic the duties of an officer, I would consider law enforcement, and it'd be considered vigilantism if it wasn't condoned.

Situations like this could have been considerably escalated, leading to harm to the initial victim, or the vigilante trying to intervene.
I'd consider this more of a citizen's duty, resulting in the proper liabilities.
ImageImage
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

U-said-it wrote:I'd consider this more of a citizen's duty, resulting in the proper liabilities.
Yes, you aren't requiring people to actually step in and try to stop a crime, merely attempt to summon the proper authorities who's job it is to do so. Even if it's not the law, it's at least common sense. Why do you call the fire department if your neighbor's house is on fire? Because it can affect you as well. Same thing here - you call the cops because those rapists may affect your family or friends as well.