Next Sonic Game to Be 2D HD

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: Next Sonic Game to Be 2D HD

Post by melancholy »

If this interview is any indication, this new 2D Sonic is doomed to fail before it even goes into development:
Eurogamer wrote: Ballough, however, concentrated on the hedgehog's longevity (for better or worse) and also shared his views on the supporting cast.

"Tails and Knuckles, to me, are essential to Sonic," he said, incorrectly on the first count. "They bring the perfect blend of personalities to the mix.

"But those two have had over 14 years to grow. I think Shadow, Silver, Blaze, and Rouge have also been developed really well into interesting characters. I would love to see Tikal developed because I think she could be very interesting as well.

"I think the one character that has yet to find his place is Bark the Polar Bear. I hope he does eventually - it'd be nice to have a cool bear character," he concluded.
Cause nothing says 'speed' and 'returning to roots' in a Sonic game than a polar bear. :|
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

check this out. At least sega is doing something good with sonic in 2D currently.
http://www.playsega.com/editors/

some of the levels are pretty good. Physics are a bit off though.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

melancholy wrote:If this interview is any indication, this new 2D Sonic is doomed to fail before it even goes into development:
Eurogamer wrote: Ballough, however, concentrated on the hedgehog's longevity (for better or worse) and also shared his views on the supporting cast.

"Tails and Knuckles, to me, are essential to Sonic," he said, incorrectly on the first count. "They bring the perfect blend of personalities to the mix.

"But those two have had over 14 years to grow. I think Shadow, Silver, Blaze, and Rouge have also been developed really well into interesting characters. I would love to see Tikal developed because I think she could be very interesting as well.

"I think the one character that has yet to find his place is Bark the Polar Bear. I hope he does eventually - it'd be nice to have a cool bear character," he concluded.
Cause nothing says 'speed' and 'returning to roots' in a Sonic game than a polar bear. :|
I'm really hoping for a Sonic Origins type of game. I'm finding it really hard to understand the reasoning behind many of his actions considering his childhood is so shrouded in mystery.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I don't know if your joking but I would like a reimagining of Sonic with him as a human instead of a hedgehog, that way we can give him a shot at Ellise without beastiality coming to people's mind.

He is far to anthropromorphic (excuse spelling) to be considered as an animal anyways.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

BILAL_XIA wrote:I don't know if your joking but I would like a reimagining of Sonic with him as a human instead of a hedgehog, that way we can give him a shot at Ellise without beastiality coming to people's mind.

He is far to anthropromorphic (excuse spelling) to be considered as an animal anyways.
That would make the furry world explode.

He's a hedgehog that runs fast and foils Robotnik's evil plans to industrialize the forest (RRROBOTNIK LAND). Just leave it at that. :P
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Luriden »

melancholy wrote:If this interview is any indication, this new 2D Sonic is doomed to fail before it even goes into development:

Are Sega trying to FORCE us into liking these characters? Tails and Knuckles are fine as long as they are mutes. But Shadow, Silver, Blaze, and Rouge? Who gives a shit?

Oh, sorry, I forgot the angsty 13-year-olds like Shadow. I guess he has to stay in at least.

EDIT: I somehow managed to type my message in melancholy's quote. Figure that one out.
Last edited by Luriden on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

We are talking about characters now?

I like Shadow, his character was ruined in his own game with a stupid story line however Shadow had a great storyline in 06 (when I say great I mean in Sonic standards).

I like Knuckles and Tails but making them mute is just stupid, the problem is Tails is voiced by a girl and before that he was voiced by a child under 10 (for heroes), I enjoyed Corey Bringas as Tails in the Dreamcast days.

Knuckles is currently voiced by Dan Green a solid actor in my opinion however not the best fit for Knuckles, he is one character who had a different actor in every game till Dan Green came along...

I would personally prefer Lost's Mr.Eko for Knuckles voice

With an African accent ofcourse.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Sega has been trying to push a 4th character on us for years. But there is not point to it. Sonic has speed, tails has flight, and knuckles has strength. What else is needed? Every character they have added since has just been terrible. None of them had a purpose at all.

I mean did anyone honestly want to play as team reject (or whatever the cream amy big team was called)?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Honestly, I don't even like Knuckles as a character. My favorite Sonic game of all time is Sonic 3 and Knuckles, but that's only if I play with Sonic. Playing as Knuckles just isn't as fun and slightly diminishes the game's pacing with his ability to glide and climb walls. I also like Tails as a character mainly because he feels like a decent balance to Sonic.
BILAL_XIA wrote:I like Knuckles and Tails but making them mute is just stupid
Why? Mario still doesn't talk beyond his goofy one-liners, and he's been successful in just about every genre imaginable, including 6 text heavy RPG's. Not to say that I don't think Sonic should talk, it actually fits his personality. But even great voice actors are useless if the underlying story is shit.

The Sonic storyline is completely ridiculous now. Sonic spent his Genesis days fighting Robotnik's global metropolis, and now he fights to save that metropolis. Tails was originally an outcast fox that wanted to mimic Sonic, and now he's an engineer and a scientist developing machines. Robotnik, on the other hand, wanted to modernize the world, which he apparently did. So now, for some reason, he just wants to destroy it. Nobody really has any reason to exist any more because nobody has any goal to achieve.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Nico0020 wrote:Sonic has speed, tails has flight, and knuckles has strength. What else is needed?
Girls for the furry pr0n.
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Sonic has a story? I never noticed. Guess I just wanted to play some good fuckin levels.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Nope, Robotnik wants to destroy exsistance and on it's ashes build robo land where it is just him and his pefect creations. Hounestly I felt really sorry for roboman in 06, always alone. No friends, No family, just machines. They should do a game on Robotnik origins.
Tails was originally an outcast fox that wanted to mimic Sonic, and now he's an engineer and a scientist developing machines.
Nope, that was from the Walt Disney cartoons in the game Tails has always been into technology in Sonic 2 he debuted along with the orignal Red Tornada which he piloted. The plane appeared in Sonic 3 as well as Sonic & Knuckles with Tails piloting it always except for Knuckles ending I think Sonic flew it for him.

Eventually the orignal Tornada was destroyed in Adventure 1 and was replaced with a new blue and yellow Tornado.

So in the games he is alway been the mechanic he is, also I thin in Sonic 06 the manuals say he is 14 so he has some time before he gets his BME.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

BILAL_XIA wrote:They should do a game on Robotnik origins.
Hmm... a game with a fat, slow protagonist who spends all his time building complex machines so that they can handle all the action for him, and occasionally getting beat up by Sonic. It's like Mario minus the awesome! That sounds like a real action-packed thrill ride of a concept :wink:

I guess it could sort of work as an RTS-lite, but then you'd probably have a heavier focus on whatever POS "story" they slapped together. So, never mind.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Unfortunately I don't have Sonic 2 in my collection, quick glance at the orignal tells me that Dr. Ivo Robotnik is turning animals into robots and Sonic equipped with power shoes giving his speed will stop him.

You should also know that the localization team took several liberties with the game, Robotnik is an American substitute in Japan he has always been eggman and on Earth not some other Mobius planet so don't regard to highly of the manuals play the game and give it your own meaning.

To me Tails has always been TechSavy (is the term correct?)
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I don't know if your joking but I would like a reimagining of Sonic with him as a human instead of a hedgehog, that way we can give him a shot at Ellise without beastiality coming to people's mind.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

LOL! - That'd replace Mario Bros as my favorite movie.

Can't wait for the Tetris movie!
Insane homebrew collector.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Tails was tech-savvy piloting the plane in Sonic 2, but his gameplay didn't involve a slow robot-thing you have to pilot the entire game (SA2).

It seems that Sega has grabbed one quality from each of the original three heroes and ran with them. Sonic is fast (so they make him go even faster until it's almost unplayable), Tails builds things on-par with Robotnik (which makes me wonder why he hasn't built up large machines to infiltrate Robotnik's base yet), and Knuckles has knuckles and a bad attitude.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I have to agree that as a publisher with several in house developers, SEGA needs to move forward with re-establishing itself as a respected game developer.

This seems a tad backwards making a new Sonic game period, and I think they should be trying to make a effort to establish new characters, icons, and brands for people to associate with them (SEGA).

I personally haven't enjoyed a Sonic game since the first SA, and haven't liked a 2d Sonic since S&K. Just like I haven't enjoyed a Mario game since Mario 64, I think SEGA (and Nintendo) should move on from their 80-90's mascots, and establish something new.
ImageImageImageImage
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

And in the first sign that Sega might actually have done something right:

Teaser for new 2D Sonic game indicates there will be no "friend" characters
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

I really feel like having a couple of "friend" characters playing minor non-speaking roles would be better than none at all so long as it is only Tails and Knuckles. Every good character has at least one wingman. Definitely is a good sign that Sega is taking this seriously, but if this ends up just being another Sonic Advance or Rush games it doesnt really matter.