Multiplatform games: Which do you prefer?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.

Which system do you prefer owning multiplatform games for?

Playstation 2
18%
Xbox
55%
Gamecube
27%
Multiplatform? I play exclusives, buddy.
No votes

Total votes: 11
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Multiplatform games: Which do you prefer?

Post by Luriden »

I'm referring to the last console generation. When given the choice between having the same game for PS2, GC, or Xbox, which console is the immediate purchase for you? And is the ability to play this game on future consoles with BC an important factor?

Personally I like having as few systems set up on my entertainment center as possible, so BC has been important. I've been picking up the BC-compatible games for Xbox. Now that my 360 is dead, I'm thinking back on how crappy the BC was for the system anyway, let alone the inability to back up game saves. I recently picked up a PS2 and now I'm back into trying to get my PS2 collection up again. PS2 wins for me, as the Xbox is just too bulky and ugly to have plugged in for the few games I play on it. XBMC and emulators aren't important to me. I may even pick up some games I have for Xbox on PS2 if the price is right, just so I can play the game on something besides a crappy emulator.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Re: Multiplatform games: Which do you prefer?

Post by Eviltaco64X »

It really depends on the game company who made/ported the games. I'd say it's a tossup between Xbox and Gamecube.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

PS2. It was the only console from the last generation that had exclusives I wanted, so it was the only console I properly owned. I had a Gamecube for a time, but I hated the thing.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

xbox obviously. some games i would prefer to play on GC though. for example GC got the best version of sonic heroes, as the xbox one was just a shitty port of the shitty ps2 one. sure the 360 is lacking in some games being BC, and some do run bad. but of all the games on my shelf the only ones I can not play are PSOX, Gun Valkyre, 007AUF (only used that for modding anyways) and Unreal Championship. And of all the games I own, thats pretty decent as far as im concerned.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Nico0020 wrote:xbox obviously. some games i would prefer to play on GC though. for example GC got the best version of sonic heroes, as the xbox one was just a shitty port of the shitty ps2 one.
Shadow the Hedgehog was best received on the Gamecube as well (even though the score wasnt too high :P). I guess Sega had more experience on Gamecube (though their Xbox and PS2 programming did indeed improve).

Capcom was always good at porting games to PS2. If the graphics had to be toned down, they'd add several extra features and what not.

There's a few games that were best received on the Gamecube, actually.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

If we are talking multiplatform only, I usually would go for the Xbox version back in the day for two reasons:

1. Those versions typically ran smoother and looked nicer that the other systems.
2. Because I needed a reason to even turn on my Xbox. I swear, that system had crap for exclusives. Most useless console of last generation. Or at least it was until I put XBMC on it.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

The Dreamcast was part of that generation too you know.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Gamecube gave me one exclusive game, at least temporarily, and in my opinion the best version: Resident Evil 4.

Xbox gave me the continuation of Shenmue, until I picked up the euro DC version. The only console Elder Scrolls game to that point, and it also gave me my favorite console FPS series - HALO.

The PS2 gave the best RPG experience by far, with tons of adventure, RPG, and strategy games to keep me busy.

As far as multi-platform games: Star Wars - Battlefront II, Ghost Recon Series, Metal Gear Solid 2, most sports games...

I'd say the Xbox definitely took the crown.
ImageImageImageImage
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

what about wii
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I am building a collection on PS2 because when I have a ps3 I can still play them. I wanted to build it on 360 but it has piss poor backward compatability most of the time.
mrandyk wrote:The Dreamcast was part of that generation too you know.
So how many multiplatform games Dreamcast shares with Xbox or Gamecube?
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

BILAL_XIA wrote:I am building a collection on PS2 because when I have a ps3 I can still play them. I wanted to build it on 360 but it has piss poor backward compatability most of the time.
mrandyk wrote:The Dreamcast was part of that generation too you know.
So how many multiplatform games Dreamcast shares with Xbox or Gamecube?
Well, I know there's Shenmue II and NFL 2K2 on the Xbox and Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 for the Gamecube.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Eviltaco64X wrote:The Dreamcast was part of that generation too you know.
Only if the entire gaming history of 2001-2006 mysteriously vanished. Sega stopped DC production 6 months before the Gamecube and Xbox were even released. I'll always have a place in my heart for the Dreamcast, but I think people forget how much of a failure it was from a retail point of view. It had a 2-year life and didn't compete with anything. You can plonk it in a "generation" if you must, but mentioning it in the same breath as any of the other consoles seems a bit inaccurate.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Hey now! Dreamcast games are still being ported to current gen consoles like the wii.

Also as far as sales are concerned it sold a hell of a lot more in 2 years than the did in 4 years.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

BILAL_XIA wrote:Hey now! Dreamcast games are still being ported to current gen consoles like the wii.
That's a fairly twisted sentence. It suggests there's an ongoing number of DC games being ported to a wide range of current gen consoles, with Wii as one example. That's just bollocks.
Also as far as sales are concerned it sold a hell of a lot more in 2 years than the did in 4 years.
I'm not sure what word fits into that sentence, but it isn't Gamecube, XBox or PS2. You just can't put the DC with these 3 - it lived and died before they started competing with each other.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Aside from games Like Samba, Sega Bass Fishing, HOTD 2 & 3 Return etc.

Dreamcast games are also on PS3/360 such as Rez, and the ongoing rumor that Dreamcast games will be avaialble on XBLA/PSN after/on it's birthday.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

It would be nice to see a few dreamcast games on XBLA, though not sure which, if any, I would buy. As the dreamcast already looks stunning on VGA. I bought RezHD since that title is pretty impossible to find, so 10 bucks was a steal. I didn't buy Virtual On as I already have Twinsticks and a vs cable, so no need for that.

If I could have any games, they would probably be some online titles, the ones that probably wouldn't be published again.
Alien Front Online
OutTrigger
Starlancer.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

BILAL_XIA wrote:Aside from games Like Samba, Sega Bass Fishing, HOTD 2 & 3 Return etc.

Dreamcast games are also on PS3/360 such as Rez, and the ongoing rumor that Dreamcast games will be avaialble on XBLA/PSN after/on it's birthday.
- Stop using terms like "etc." and "such as" when the examples you provide make up the entire list, or 99% of it.
- The DC games available on Wii were cheap cash-in attempts by Sega because they use a crazy peripheral. This isn't a testament to the Dreamcast. It's a company being able to re-release years-old games in the exact same format because the DC versions sold like pants.
- Rez isn't a Dreamcast game. It came out on Playstation 2 on the exact same day.
- I have no idea what any of this has to do with the Dreamcast's place in the previous generation. Online stores sell a variety of games from a variety of platforms spanning 3 decades.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

It's hard to say. First of all, I never owned an original XBox, so of course I never got any games for that system. And while I would be inclined to say PS2. I have several multiplatform games for the Gamecube. Both the Megaman collections, Soul Calibur 2, both Lego Star Wars, both Viewtiful Joes, and XMen Legends were all purchased for my Gamecube.

Viewtiful Joe debuted on the Gamecube and I got it before it was ported to the PS2. Then I felt obligated to get the sequel for the same system. Soul Calibur 2 was all about getting Link. The Megaman collections on the Gamecube featured the original music rather than the arranged pieces used in the PS2 and XBox versions and that played a part in my decision. XMen Legends I got on the cheap (I think maybe $5 or so).
No signature.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

toastman wrote:The Megaman collections on the Gamecube featured the original music rather than the arranged pieces used in the PS2 and XBox versions and that played a part in my decision.
I think the Xbox version let you choose between the original and arranged, though I could be wrong. I know the Xbox version came out later and they tried to combine all the best features from both the GC and PS2 versions when they made it. I'd like to know for certain though, I used to have the GC version and I need to get it again, I considered getting it for Xbox but not if it doesn't have the original music.