Fairly Massive Xbox Live New Feature Set

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fairly Massive Xbox Live New Feature Set

Post by DaMadFiddler »

From this morning's E3 press conference:
Engadget wrote:Microsoft is busy announcing a slew of upgrades to Xbox Live, and the biggest news so far is relaunch of the video service, now Zune-branded with 1080p instant-on streaming content in 18 countries. XBL is also now integrated with Facebook -- your Facebook account can be linked to your Gamertag, and games will support Facebook Connect for sharing content online. That's pretty huge -- but if that wasn't enough, you're also getting Twitter and Last.fm in the deal. Want more? Netflix users will now be able to browse the entire catalog instead of simply loading their queue, and Microsoft has also gotten its Party Watch system in order, so you'll be able to heckle videos with your online friends. Last but not least, there's now live TV streaming for UK and Ireland gamers, who'll get Premier League soccer live from Sky. All in all, a solid set of updates for XBL -- but we'll wait and see how that "1080p" video looks before we pronouce Blu-ray dead. PR blurb after the break.

Today from the E3 stage in Los Angeles, Microsoft announced plans to dramatically improve their HD video offering through a new technology that enables instant on 1080p streaming with 5.1 audio with Zune video on Xbox 360.

This implementation is as close to a "disc in the drive" experience as possible over the Internet. At a high-level, here is how it works:

* Video startup is nearly instantaneous because of the back-end proprietary Microsoft technology developed by Zune that seamlessly transitions between many different bitrates and resolutions of video.
* Video playback will start at a low bitrate for fast download time and then ramp up to a higher bitrate and quality, up to 1080p with 5.1 audio.
* Features such as smooth fast forward and rewind that users have only seen before with local physical media.

It doesn't stop there. Other news coming out of E3 for Xbox LIVE Video Marketplace:

* Social: We unveiled Movie Party, a feature where you can go to the movies with your friends whether you are sitting on the same couch or in living rooms across the country. Starting this year, you can share a virtual theater, see your Avatars (a virtual you) on the screen – all while you listen to each other laugh and cry together at the movie through voice chat on Xbox LIVE.
* New Regional Partners: Now, for the first time Xbox LIVE members in the UK and Ireland can watch live or on-demand TV with BSkyB on Xbox. Never miss a moment of your favorite live TV shows, sports, movies and family-friendly entertainment – even share your favorites with up to seven friends in an Xbox LIVE Party.
* Global Expansion: The 1080p streaming HD Zune video experience on Xbox LIVE marketplace is expanding to 10 new regions this year, making movies and TV shows available in 18 total countries including US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria, Australia, and New Zealand. (Note: content and partners vary by region)
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Re: Fairly Massive Xbox Live New Feature Set

Post by JuddWack »

Score.
I like Facebook
I like Twitter
I like last.fm
Been thinking of getting a zune too with my reward points from citibank.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

if only the hulu rumor would have lead to something
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

apparently we will also be able to download full 360 games on demand from the marketplace. I'll keep my DRM free disks thank you.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/01/xbox ... on-demand/
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Kevin Beckman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kevin Beckman »

gamedudex2 wrote:if only the hulu rumor would have lead to something

Use PlayOn. You'll be able to view everything on Hulu (and other videos you can access from the web like YouTube and Gametrailers.)
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Nico0020 wrote:DRM free disks
You have a curiously narrow view of what counts as "DRM".
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I'm foaming at the mouth. Gimme gimme gimme.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Not gonna lie, I'm really jealous of the UK/Ireland gamers who can watch Premier League matches.

But all those other features are pretty cool too :thumbup:
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

Kevin Beckman wrote:
gamedudex2 wrote:if only the hulu rumor would have lead to something

Use PlayOn. You'll be able to view everything on Hulu (and other videos you can access from the web like YouTube and Gametrailers.)
i dont really care to need my pc to be on though.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I like the Last.fm and Facebook integration.

Hiss at Twitter though. Hisssssss.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I thought the keyboard add-on to the controller didn't make much sense, but I get it now. I'm a little skeptical about this instant on video though. I'll see it when I believe it. I have AT&T's lowest priced internet package. I think it's 768/256 and take a little while to start videos.