My one momento from THQ.

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My one momento from THQ.

Post by Polymira »

I worked there for 5 months before being laid off.

I worked around Xbox 360, Eii, and PS3 debug consoles, ps2 dev consoles ... more beta's then you can shake a stick at.... While there were bins of free past console generation controllers and cables .. I even found an old scratched up official Nintendo GBA emulator cd...

And the one memento I pocketed?

Word.
--pSyCo
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Re: My one momento from THQ.

Post by cube_b3 »

What is that?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Cool! ...what is it?
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

I guess I could have explained that =p

It's just a SIM card from a Nokia n-gage. The super ugly cell phone / gaming console Nokia came out with trying to compete with the GameBoy Advance.

If I knew the company was gonna go under so soon, I would have walked out with a green faceplate wii (debug wii)
--pSyCo
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yeah, if you had to take a momento I'm sure you could've done better.
P.S. I liked the N-Gage QD a lot and I think aside from the tiny screen it was an awesome phone/handheld which still holds well against other phones.
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

They're in the process, everyone I still know who worked there has now been laid off right when the "rumors" came around.
--pSyCo
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I was laid off from THQ Wireless about a month ago, but most of San Diego and UK got the boot about 3 months back. There's only 3 guys left in now in SD. Sorry to say but that's a pretty bad parting gift. You should see what I got :lol:

I'm pretty certain THQ is going under in the next few years. They are slimming down the operation and are trying to create fewer games of higher quality. Although fewer games is certain, I sincerely doubt quality will increase.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

thq had me interested when they mentioned wwe online. then they killed that when it was announced to be a game made in asia for pcs in asia. i was wishing for a wwe mmo, but nope. its just smackdown with lots of micro transactions.

wwe games have been going down hill for a while. tna games havent even been on a hill to go down. god that game was crap. i really wished that tna ea sports deal would have worked out. only ea could have done a great game (ya i know those shitty ea wcw games, but aki was working with ea on def jam and they made the cool n64 games, like revenge, wrestlemania and no mercy)
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I have to say that I don't remember a single game by THQ. Not one single game. - Anything I missed ?
Insane homebrew collector.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_THQ_games

Quite a large list and only a few notable titles. I guess most recently Saint's Row 2 and WWE Legends. I never played the original Saints Row but the second one was fun as hell if you like GTA style and its multiplayer is what GTA4 should have been. I just don't understand how it's acceptable to send a game to the market that crashes so frequently. SR2 has crashed on me at least 10 times.

If you look at the list its obvious that THQ relies pretty heavily on brand power aimed at younger gamers but by reading these reviews its been becoming increasingly obvious that not nearly enough care and attention go into their development. They also have a good track record of exploiting their brands by pumping out title after title. The Destroy All Humans franchise could have been great, what it did become is sad.

I have some hopes for Red Faction Guerrilla, the demo failed to impress me but it was still fun if you like senseless mayhem and large explosions. Unfortunately now I'd have to pay full price, I'm not sure if its worth it.

Considering how much of a disappointment the Wii has been for me I would recommend checking out de Blob. It is pretty damn fun.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Personally, I would have pocketed everything I could. I know its stealing, but at that point I wouldn't really give a shit. Situations like that tend to be every-man-for-himself, and if you can grab some stuff to sell to make the coming unemployed period easier, so be it.

I grabbed a ton of company-owned tools (grinders, power tools, portable welder) when I worked at SkyJack the night they laid everyone off. It was a madhouse in there, and to be perfectly honest, I know for a fact I stole the least amount of stuff. Haha, I saw one guy load up his van with a couple of Miller blue box welders, and these things are god damn huge.

The 360 and PS3 dev consoles are worth a pretty penny.
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

JuddWack wrote:I was laid off from THQ Wireless about a month ago, but most of San Diego and UK got the boot about 3 months back. There's only 3 guys left in now in SD. Sorry to say but that's a pretty bad parting gift. You should see what I got :lol:

I'm pretty certain THQ is going under in the next few years. They are slimming down the operation and are trying to create fewer games of higher quality. Although fewer games is certain, I sincerely doubt quality will increase.
Haha, I worked for THQ Wireless when they were in Agoura Hills, laid off so they could move to San Diego =p

So, did you know Stephanie and Allan (They were lead testers when they left Agoura)?
--pSyCo
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Polymira wrote:Haha, I worked for THQ Wireless when they were in Agoura Hills, laid off so they could move to San Diego =p

So, did you know Stephanie and Allan (They were lead testers when they left Agoura)?
Yah I'm a little bit upset about the way it happened. Let's lay off everyone and move the whole branch somewhere else, restaff and put all our strength and mite into making this work. If it doesn't work out again, we won't tell anyone until the night before we make our decision to shut them down. It was a real sucker punch because everyone felt we were doing so good. I still don't quite understand what happened. It should be said though that THQ was nice in their compensation packages to everybody.

And yes I knew both of them. I worked with them everyday for a year and a half.
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

In agoura hills we were all temps (even stephanie), so we got no comensation other then a phone call.

That's a trip though, small world I suppose. I'm still friends with her on facebook, good stuff =p

I mostly worked on the porting side, nothing worse then destroy all humans on an ancient nokia... or stuntman on a virgin mobile phone ...

Too bad they didn't do iPhone games when I worked there.
--pSyCo
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Thanks. - Seems THQ did publish quite a few interesting games (see Conker's Bad Fur Day). Destroy All Humans certainly is a notable original franchise.
Insane homebrew collector.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

There's a big spot in my heart for Full Spectrum Warrior.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

looking forward the UFC game .........love the demo....first day buy.......