iPhone 3.0 beta questions

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

iPhone 3.0 beta questions

Post by melancholy »

To anyone using the 3.0 beta, I have a question. So I bought a new Pioneer car stereo tonight that supports Bluetooth Audio. However, what I didn't know when I bought it was that the iPhone doesn't have Bluetooth audio, which is quite ridiculous. Searching online, I read that the new 3.0 firmware will support it, though, so what I'd like to know is if the beta supports it now. I also heard that the beta had tethering, but they removed it for the 5th version. Is that true?

EDIT: I guess they are saying it was MMS that was removed, not tethering. Which still sucks if that's true.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: iPhone 3.0 beta questions

Post by |darc| »

3.0 software does support A2DP, but it does not support AVRCP yet as far as I know, so you can't control the music over Bluetooth.

None of the betas support tethering out of the box. You need to update the carrier settings to enable the hidden feature; you do this by updating the firmware, but instead of selecting the firmware update file (ipsw), you select a carrier settings file (ipcc). The problem is that now you have to have a new iTunes beta version to update to beta 5, but that new iTunes beta doesn't allow you to update carrier settings files anymore. So just make sure you update the carrier settings file to enable MMS* and tethering.

(*This will enable MMS in the phone menus, but your iPhone texting plan doesn't include MMS--actually sending MMS messages will give you an error message unless you call AT&T and get them to enable it on your phone, and apparently the reps have been told not to do this...)

I'm currently on 3.0 beta 5 with MMS and tethering.
It's thinking...
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin
Been thanked: 0

Post by Polymira »

While I'm not upgrading to 3.0 because I plan on unlocking mine and selling it when the next bit of hardware is released ...

To get AT&T to enable MMS for you, insert your SIM into another phone (any one that supports MMS). Send a couple of txt messages then log onto att's website.

Change your messaging plan from the iPhone one to the standard messaging plan (this shows up now because they have you registered with the phone your sim is in). It's the same cost for unlimited.

Now, switch back, send a txt or two, and mms should work.

This worked for me on iPhone 2.2.1 and SwirlyMMS
--pSyCo
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Polymira wrote:While I'm not upgrading to 3.0 because I plan on unlocking mine and selling it when the next bit of hardware is released ...

To get AT&T to enable MMS for you, insert your SIM into another phone (any one that supports MMS). Send a couple of txt messages then log onto att's website.

Change your messaging plan from the iPhone one to the standard messaging plan (this shows up now because they have you registered with the phone your sim is in). It's the same cost for unlimited.

Now, switch back, send a txt or two, and mms should work.

This worked for me on iPhone 2.2.1 and SwirlyMMS
It doesn't work anymore or they changed something. I did this in beta 1. I had MMS working flawlessly for about a day, then it never worked again. I still have the standard MMS plan on my account, it just doesn't work.
It's thinking...
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

They were doing sweeps for a bit, but haven't been for a few months (likely as mms is being implemented in the iphone soon).

May want to try again
--pSyCo
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Well I can wait for the non-beta to get MMS. I was primarily concerned about the Bluetooth part. I really, really need that now since this new stereo has no rear auxiliary inputs. Granted, I could run wires from the front input, but all those wires sticking out of my dash is ugly. And besides, what good is a fancy new Bluetooth stereo that won't actually do anything useful until a couple of months from now?

Tethering would be nice too, but I'd only really use it about once every month or two when I go visit my parents. So, is there anything important I need to know before using the beta?
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

For those of you using iPhone 3.0 beta, how are the new copy/paste functions (or have they even been implemented, yet)?

Also - I'm guessing there's no way to save e-mail attachments, yet, right?
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

My G1 does all that stuff.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Polymira wrote:They were doing sweeps for a bit, but haven't been for a few months (likely as mms is being implemented in the iphone soon).

May want to try again
I did this recently... a few days after 3.0b1 was released. I tried again a few days afterwards (not by sticking my SIM in another phone the second time, though, but simply by switching to no plan, then switching back to non-iPhone messaging again--I had to use a friend's phone the first time).
melancholy wrote:is there anything important I need to know before using the beta?

Do you have two computers with iTunes? This would be the easiest way to do it. Update one computer to iTunes 8.0 beta (this is required to update to the beta), then upgrade to 3.0b5, then get on another computer and update the ipcc carrier settings file (since you need an older iTunes to do this).

You might be able to update the ipcc with old iTunes, then update iTunes, then upgrade the firmware all on one computer, but I'm not sure if the carrier settings stick from 2.1.1 to 3.0. I know they do stick in a 3.0b4 to 3.0b5 upgrade, though, so they probably do.

If you need some files... PM me. ;)
curt_grymala wrote:For those of you using iPhone 3.0 beta, how are the new copy/paste functions (or have they even been implemented, yet)?
They work fine, though I wish I could turn the feature off. The only use I've ever had for copy/paste was to copy MMS codes from SMS into Safari so I could view MMSs sent to me, but I obviously don't need that once MMS is enabled on all phones. I don't really need the bubble to pop up every time I try to move my cursor. It's not intrusive, but I'd rather just turn it off.
cury_grymala wrote:Also - I'm guessing there's no way to save e-mail attachments, yet, right?
Nope, but you can still save image attachments to your camera roll just like you could before.
Roofus wrote:My G1 does all that stuff.
The iPhone isn't prohibitively ugly, though.
It's thinking...
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Thanks for the answers, |darc|. I'm guessing iPhone 3.0 didn't implement the ability to capture video, either, did it.
DreamZone Forums

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Nope, though MMS does let you receive video.
It's thinking...
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

|darc| wrote:Nope, though MMS does let you receive video.
Good to know. It's amazing to me how many simple functions are crippled on the iPhone. For the most part, it's an amazing device, but there are so many basic actions completely unavailable on the phone.

When you say that the 3.0 software supports A2DP, do you know with which apps that works? I know the 2.1 software (or whatever the current "stable" version is) supports bluetooth for the phone and voicemail, but not for the iPod or any of the external 3rd party apps like Pandora, last.fm, etc. Any updates on whether or not those apps work with the updated A2DP support?

I just got a new bluetooth stereo headset at work, and I'd like to eventually use it with my iPhone. It's pointless, though, if it only works with the phone, voicemail and iPod apps, since I mostly use Pandora and last.fm for music on the device.
DreamZone Forums

Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

They aren't going to release all features for 3.0 until it comes out, guerrentied. There will be a one more thing ...

THAT, or they will only let you use it on the new hardware.
--pSyCo
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

curt_grymala wrote:
|darc| wrote:Nope, though MMS does let you receive video.
Good to know. It's amazing to me how many simple functions are crippled on the iPhone. For the most part, it's an amazing device, but there are so many basic actions completely unavailable on the phone.

When you say that the 3.0 software supports A2DP, do you know with which apps that works? I know the 2.1 software (or whatever the current "stable" version is) supports bluetooth for the phone and voicemail, but not for the iPod or any of the external 3rd party apps like Pandora, last.fm, etc. Any updates on whether or not those apps work with the updated A2DP support?

I just got a new bluetooth stereo headset at work, and I'd like to eventually use it with my iPhone. It's pointless, though, if it only works with the phone, voicemail and iPod apps, since I mostly use Pandora and last.fm for music on the device.
I'm pretty sure all apps work with A2DP, though I haven't tested it out myself.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Just a heads-up: the final version of iPhone 3.0 is out, just not publicly, but you don't need a developer account anymore to install it. Gentlemen, start your torrents.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Hasney wrote:Jailbreakable?
Just out of curiosity: with video recording, tethering, and copy/paste all implemented now, and the App Store having been in place for some time, are the benefits of jailbreaking really worth the hassle any more? As far as I can tell, the only significant feature that can still only be gained via jailbreak is emulation, which I'd imagine would play like crap with touch controls anyway.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Hasney wrote:Jailbreakable?
Just out of curiosity: with video recording, tethering, and copy/paste all implemented now, and the App Store having been in place for some time, are the benefits of jailbreaking really worth the hassle any more? As far as I can tell, the only significant feature that can still only be gained via jailbreak is emulation, which I'd imagine would play like crap with touch controls anyway.
Apple has been known to engage in censorship and sometimes just outright poor judgment when it comes to deciding what goes in the App Store. The parental controls will probably improve a few things, but I doubt that it's going to fix the underlying issues.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Since this topic is bumped, I'll just throw out that I no longer need that beta, the official firmware is announced for next week! Yay!

...except that, apparently, AT&T will not be ready to support MMS for a couple more months. Or tethering.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:...except that, apparently, AT&T will not be ready to support MMS for a couple more months. Or tethering.
Well, they're AT&T. Also, at this point, they are the sole thing standing between me and an iPhone :evil:
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

AT&T is actually my favorite cell phone provider. I've tried Verizon and they were so damn terrible I had to switch. Listening to my in-laws complain about them makes me like AT&T even more. Even if I were to switch now, I'd probably go with Sprint next.

Of course, having said that, I still feel AT&T is behind the times in a lot of areas.