Robin Shou

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Robin Shou

Post by cube_b3 »

Basically I just want Robin Shou to star in another movie, I thought Street Fighter would bring him back to the main screen but that movie was horrible (from what I've heard).

What happend to Robin Shou, he was young and had so much potential but his career just stopped after 97 when he released MK2 & Beverly Hills Ninja.

6 years later he directed & released a documentary called Red Trousers, I read good reviews about it but I don't think it got revied his career.

Now he just does minor roles in crappy movies such as DOA (he could've & should've had a bigger role and didn't this role go against his much publicized ideology of not starring in a movie where a white man kicks his ass... wait a second, a white chick kicked his ass it's alright), Death Race (I liked his little role), and now Street Fighter. All the rescent movies are crap and it would've been alright I would've just called him a B-Movie hero had he been the lead of these films, yet all he has is an extended cameo in these films.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robin Shou

Post by Skynet »

You mention MK2 and Beverly Hills Ninja, then you go to say he does crappy movies. Hate to break it to you but every movie you listed in this thread, except Death Race because I haven't seen it, are terrible. Well I haven't seen SF either but I can only assume it's as bad as the first.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Skynet wrote:You mention MK2 and Beverly Hills Ninja, then you go to say he does crappy movies. Hate to break it to you but every movie you listed in this thread, except Death Race because I haven't seen it, are terrible. Well I haven't seen SF either but I can only assume it's as bad as the first.
Death Race = Mario Kart on crack. It was entertaining but definitely not what I'd call a GOOD movie.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Look what I mean by a good movie is a professional studio produced movie which has an international theatrical release, in contrast to an inde movie which may be good in terms of plot and acting but lack the quality that studio financing provides you.

MK2 was his last theatrically released film till Dead Or Alive:
The opening weekend take was $16 million and resulted in a number-one debut at the box office, but it was nonetheless a 30% drop from the first movie's opener of $23 million.[4] The budget was $30 million, but the movie grossed only $35 million in the U.S.
Despite the quality of the film how can an actor who stars in film's that hold the number one position as box offices reach a level so low, that he would barely have supporting roles in shit, that won't even have a theatrical release, forgeth the fact that they would secure a position at the box office?

I was intrested if you know some website, or journal covered what the hell happend for nearly a decade.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Despite the quality of the film how can an actor who stars in film's that hold the number one position as box offices reach a level so low, that he would barely have supporting roles in shit, that won't even have a theatrical release, forgeth the fact that they would secure a position at the box office?
Give me 5 major movie roles since then he could've starred in, and that weren't filled by somebody considerably more famous and popular. In case you haven't noticed, there is kind of a low demand in major movie blockbusters for "chinese guys who know kung fu", and what demand there is has already been met by people that aren't Robin Shou.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

He was treated poorly in Hollywood, basically, after being in some pretty good HK action films. By the time he left Hollywood, there had been a major downturn in HK cinema production in general and action film production in particular.

Pretty common story, and unlike people like Jet Li, Jackie Chan and Donnie Yen, Shou doesn't have the connections and box office appeal to just make a bunch of his own films. I do think he deserved better, but oh well - at least he's still getting some work.

If you're interested, I've seen some of his earlier HK films. Tiger Cage 2 and The Big Heat are great. Burning Ambition, Long Arm of the Law 3, City War (small role), and In The Line of Duty III are all solid.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

What I read was he just started turning roles after roles down, because he thought they were discriminative or something.

He was even offered the role of the villain in Shanghai Knights, and the Chinese guy in Matrix Reloaded but the curveball was when he had a cameo in Dead Or Alive where Jamie Pressley kicks his and his entire crews ass on her own, now that was more insulting for a chinese guy then anything I could've imagined.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Discriminative? What kind of idiot tries to build a movie career around a perfect stereotype of his nationality then complains that he is offered discriminative roles?
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Luriden wrote:Death Race = Mario Kart on crack. It was entertaining but definitely not what I'd call a GOOD movie.
Death Race was frigging great. I loved it.

I really don't care what anyone thinks of Paul W Anderson movies, they're extremely entertaining and I enjoy the hell out of them (not directing this to you, Luriden, just sayin'). Death Race was so much fun to watch.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I hope you aren't showing sarcasm cause I really used to like Anderson, however the way he abandoned Resident Evil 2 for AVP was very dissapointing becuase he didn't even stick with the AVP franchise.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse despite having a larger budget did not have the quality of the first one, the script should've needed more work and the director should've been better, but then Extinction came out which looked like the script didn't even get a second draft before shooting. Aside from being a script writer busy with other prospects, he was a lousy producer also cause he forgot to get what's her name Jill Valentine actress to sign a 2 picture deal, which made extinction worse cause she was oddly replaced by Claire Redfield.

Aside from the mess up of Resident Evil sequels I enjoyed the orignal, AVP, Mortal Kombat and Death Race.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

I was being sincere. I own several of his movies on Blu-Ray.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

What are your favourites?

What are your least favourites?

And Why?

It's not often I find an Anderson fan.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Death Race is probably my favorite. I'm a fan of Statham and this whole movie is just balls to the wall. My girlfriend got me the Blu-Ray for Valentine's Day. I'm trying to track down the Roger Corman original; I've never seen it.

I like all the Resident Evils, all of which I associate with Anderson even thought he didn't direct the sequels. Not being a purist who cares about the games, I loved the third one. It may actually be my favorite; it's much more visceral than the others. Then again, the first one has the best story and the second one has Sienna Guillory as Jill Valentine... yummy.

Event Horizon was great. I actually ordered the Blu-Ray today (Amazon's running a deal on it - free movie cash for Star Trek).

AVP was kind of weak and silly, in large part due to the watered down rating (unrated cut is nearly identical to the PG13 one). But I've seen it at least 4 times anyway. I mean, let's not give the respective series too much credit. While AVP isn't up to the high standard of the Scott/Cameron/McTiernan originals, it's not the worst of either series. Alien 3 and Predator 2 were simply awful.

Mortal Kombat is okay. I've watched it once and probably won't again.

I've yet to see Soldier with Kurt Russell but it's on my Netflix radar.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I liked AVP, James Cameron liked it as well I think he ranked it amongst the top 4 or 3.

I have to say that I didn't like extinction at all, it was just a sad mess of a movie without the eye candy of Sienna Guillory.

It would be nice to watch Event Horizon, read a lot of it whatever happend to the director's cut he promised? Is that available on Blu-Ray or is it just the "Studio-Censored" version?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

impetus wrote:
I've yet to see Soldier with Kurt Russell but it's on my Netflix radar.

It's pretty hilarious.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:It's pretty hilarious.
Unintentionally, I presume.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Of course. Most don't realize the shit that they make on a regular basis, but some do. Like Paul Verhoeven for instance. That man has a sense of humor.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
cactusjoe3
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by cactusjoe3 »

Dude its Robin Shou .
Comin Mortal Kombat II killed not only his carrer. but linden ashby's too LOL.
have you seen either in any other major movie since??
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I saw Linden Ashby in RE: Extinction however he was never anything great, he was a last choice cause Brendon Lee may he rest in peace was murdered (don't correct me).