Marvel vs. Capcom 2 Coming to XBLA, PSN This Summer

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 Coming to XBLA, PSN This Summer

Post by DaMadFiddler »

:D

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/27/marve ... -xbla-psn/
As expected, Capcom has made the return of MvC2 official via Capcom Unity. The biggest news: a demo of the game will be available on PSN this week (most likely during the usual update on Thursday, April 30. Christian Svensson, the company's VP of strategic planning and business development, calls this the "definitive version" of the classic fighter, providing some details to back up his claim.

In addition to the already confirmed online play, it's been revealed that the game is based on the Sega Dreamcast release, features HD upscaling and widescreen options, and will support custom soundtracks on both platforms. Also, all 56 characters will be "unlocked" from the beginning. No word yet on a 360 demo, but we've dropped Capcom a line for comment. [PlayStation.Blog confirms the demo is exclusive to PSN.]
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Re: Marvel vs. Capcom 2 Coming to XBLA, PSN This Summer

Post by Code-Red »

Fuck off. They should port proper fighting games like Third Strike and not lame baby shit like this.

GRRRRR

/rant
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I'm normally not into fighting games, but I love MvC2 just for the huge quantity of fighters. I remember playing it with a friend for awhile just trying out all the characters and their moves. I may get this as long as it's not over 800.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

I'm glad the characters are unlocked. For most people, they want to get in and start playing and not mess with any crap like that. It was fun when everyone played it years ago, now we want HD versions of the older games we still enjoy.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Awesomesauce. I could have used this when I hosted that MvC2 tournament at Best Buy three weeks ago. The Dreamcast version was still fun to use, though it didn't look near as good on a 50" plasma as an XBLA version would have.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:Awesomesauce. I could have used this when I hosted that MvC2 tournament at Best Buy three weeks ago. The Dreamcast version was still fun to use, though it didn't look near as good on a 50" plasma as an XBLA version would have.
From what I've read across various sites:

- they're keeping the original 2D assets (so the characters will all still be in Legovision), but have added optional filters. You can either have the 2D elements unfiltered, fed through an hq2x filter, or fed through a tweaked hq3x filter.

- the 3D assets were originally created in a higher quality (this was not clarified) than either home consoles or the arcade hardware could handle at the time, and were scaled down. The original assets are still archived, and will be used in this version. Thus, this version will have higher quality backgrounds than any existing version of the game.

- the underlying game engine is based on the Dreamcast port, with the network infrastructure borrowed from Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix.

- Capcom hired a couple of diehard fighting game players to play-test the game, and track down glitches for elimination. (Specifically, they mentioned that several technical issues in the PS2/Xbox version will not be in this version).

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go sell my PS2 copy before it depreciates any further ;)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

As a final note, I am a little disappointed that they don't allow for custom soundtracks. I love this game, and have been playing it for years on various systems, but I'm a little tired of getting taken for a ride :lol:
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

DaMadFiddler wrote:As a final note, I am a little disappointed that they don't allow for custom soundtracks. I love this game, and have been playing it for years on various systems, but I'm a little tired of getting taken for a ride :lol:
it's been revealed that the game is based on the Sega Dreamcast release, features HD upscaling and widescreen options, and will support custom soundtracks on both platforms
...?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Lartrak wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:As a final note, I am a little disappointed that they don't allow for custom soundtracks. I love this game, and have been playing it for years on various systems, but I'm a little tired of getting taken for a ride :lol:
it's been revealed that the game is based on the Sega Dreamcast release, features HD upscaling and widescreen options, and will support custom soundtracks on both platforms
...?
Okay, must have totally overlooked that :oops:

However, I did find a sample of the upscaling filter:

They did warn that, since the assets were created for a 4:3 screen, setting the game to widescreen may result in certain effects (namely, large items that come in from an edge of the screen) not looking quite right, as the art isn't large enough to extend to the new edge of the visible area.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

This is great news! :D

All they need to do now is release SF III: Third Strike on PSN/XBLA.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

They should have released it first. MvC2 is such a watered down version of the series it sickens me.

Dumbass: "Hey lets throw a bunch of shitty characters into Marvel vs. Capcom's engine"
Idiot: "Oh man, awesome idea. And instead of high kick or high punch, we'll have one of your teammates come in and do a shitty move!"
Dumbass: "Great. While we are at it, lets make all the specials ridiculously easy to do....wait, lets have it so that high punch and high kick do your specials FOR YOU!"
Idiot: "This game is going to rock."

I'd take parrying and proper combo/special moves that take talent (i.e. Third Strike) any day of the week.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

DaMadFiddler wrote:However, I did find a sample of the upscaling filter:

Correct labels would be "bad JPG", "super blurry", "unlicensed 2xSai", I guess.
Insane homebrew collector.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

haha, yeah, sorry, I couldn't resist. :P

- this surely is great news for those that don't have the game yet, and I am sure that "classic" and "crisp" will look pretty good.

PS: Actually, I'd prefer DCEmu's Whiny Bitchâ„¢ :)
Insane homebrew collector.
Kevin Beckman
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kevin Beckman »

Demo is now available on the PSN
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

I just wonder how Activision is releasing Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 this summer.

I guess Capcom might've been able to strike some sort of deal with Marvel to rerelease this game only.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Eviltaco64X wrote:I just wonder how Activision is releasing Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 this summer.

I guess Capcom might've been able to strike some sort of deal with Marvel to rerelease this game only.
I think it's maybe a different set of rights. Bear in mind, digital distribution was pretty uncommon until just a few years ago, so it's quite likely that the Activision contract (and the Capcom contract before it) don't adequately address the issue, leaving the window open for legal workarounds.

A Capcom rep did mention in an interview that they don't have the rights to release a physical copy of the game any more, which (combined with storage limitations) is why the Wii is not getting the game as well.

Incidentally, I downloaded the demo today. You can only play multiplayer, and you can only choose from the center six characters, but the game seems to work just fine. The sprite scaling looks better than you might expect, and the environments are *really* crisp. So far, I haven't run into anything that looks screwy as a result of the expanded playfield (ie. opening the view up for widescreen), except for Strider Hiryu's edge grab. Since he's grabbing onto a spot that's not where the edge is any more, it looks like he's hanging from the health bar. Which works just fine with the tone of the game, IMO. I haven't tried online play yet, but local multiplayer looked and worked exactly as expected.

I will definitely be getting the full version.
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

The Xbox Live Marketplace is a freakin cash cow now a days, from XBLA, additional game content, video, etc....

I personally buy at least one XBLA game per month, I buy all the halo, gears of war, and call of duty map packs, and when Apple had my laptop in for repair I was purchasing House and Lost via the video marketplace.

I've spent more on xbox live purchases then I did my launch xbox 360.
--pSyCo