Spreading the Dreamcast love - a few pages from the Wii

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Spreading the Dreamcast love - a few pages from the Wii

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

So Nintendo has gone out and made tons of money on a hyped-up gamecube build for fun rather than hardcore gamers. However, looking at the style and fun of gameplay, many can say that the Dreamcast did a lot of what the Wii has taken credit for with regards to interacting. I took the idea of Nintendo of reaching out to non-traditional gamers and gave an extra Dreamcast with a few games to my in-laws for Christmas. One such game that I got them into playing was Sega Bass Fishing. It is a quick and easy game to play due to its arcade roots, and my in-laws are enjoying it. Then, I transitioned them into playing more "hardcore" type gaming...well...maybe classic gaming may be the right word as I set up Bomberman Online - they really enjoyed that a lot. They are coming over this weekend, and I am hoping to set them both up for some House of the Dead 2 action (it worked like a charm for my grandmother when I set up the gun with auto-reload and rapid-fire - here is hoping for lightning in a bottle part 2).

Any similar Dreamcast stories?
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Re: Spreading the Dreamcast love - a few pages from the Wii

Post by cube_b3 »

I didn't read your entire post but I think I got the general idea.

While the Wii has a few flaws mainly in the quality control and consumer satisfaction department.

The problem with Dreamcast is that it may have offered everything the Wii does only better however it was very expensive.

* Playing House of the Dead will require the purchase of Light-Guns.
* Playing Samba De Amigo will require the purchase of the very expensive Maracas.
* Playing Sega Bass Fishing will require the purchase of the expensive fishing controller.

* For Optimum Enjoyment.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

Perhaps so back then, but look at games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero...expensive peripherals in every box to simulate the real experience. Since my last post, my in-laws picked up a fishing rod controller & Bust-A-Move 4 -> they are hooked!
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Well in terms of Guitar Hero, Who doesn't want to play a Guitar?
Everybody wanted to play it at one point in their life and cover good old tracks of old.

Fishing and Maracas on the other hand don't have such a universal appeal and I personally think RockBand & Guitar Hero should've been something that could have revitalized the Arcades rather then heading home.
Guaripolo
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Guaripolo »

errr the idea of rockband and guitarhero come's from bemani. Guitar Freaks, Percussion Freaks, dance dance revolution and beatmania existed in arcade since a long time ago (well not so long...).

Also remember that Dreamcast was made for hardcore gamers and wii is for casual players.

Maybe the point of connection are a simple machine, good powerful hardware easy to develop (just like the playstation don't?).
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Dreamcast was a 'dream' 'cast' which answered all Dreams casual and hardcore.

Hardcore gamers with proper game like Sonic, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur etc etc.

The Casual gamers with Fishing, Maracas, DDR, Sega Sports, Chu Chu Rocket etc etc.

I think it was almost a balance, it would've been a complete balance if their weren't so many fighting games on Dreamcast but we love those fighting games.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

I don't think Fishing/Maracas/DDR fall into the casual category. Being that those games required special and sometimes expensive equipment that wasn't the easiest to come by(DDR wasn't even available in the USA for the DC), that kind of takes it out of the casual gaming sphere. If I were a casual gamer, I wouldn't like being forced to spend extra dough on fancy stuff.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yet all the casual Dum asses have bought a Wii with Wii Fit.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Light-gun games, dancing games, even sim-fishing games. Neither the Wii nor the Dreamcast was the origin of any of them. Not that it really matters. If Nintendo can steal a failed idea and turn it into a commercial success, than I would consider them the superior company.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

BILAL_XIA wrote:Yet all the casual Dum asses have bought a Wii with Wii Fit.
Wii Fit is not a video game, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, what makes a casual gamer a dumbass? Explain that to me.
junker2020
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by junker2020 »

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/33970/Sony-an ... critic-war

Dreamcast has the BEST library! The Wii does thrive off many things that have been done with the Innovative Dreamcast! In a matter of cost they seem to be very equal....

Nintendo is no different to me than crappy expensive $ony! Paying for a full setup of a PS3 (all controllers) compared to a fully loaded Wii with all needed accessories comes out very close. That is where the Wii gets customers..... they have a cheaper console but you pay up for it in accesssories!

Remotes,
Nunchucks
Classic Controllers
Wii Wheels
Wii Motion Plus
Wii Balance Board
etc.....
And the worst of all----Batteries

Add all this Wii stuff up in cost and you will be rolling your eyes!

I take my hat off to Nintendo though, they have done very well! However, Dreamcast set the standard for what many good game features we enjoy today.There are so many ported DC games that gave gone to many consoles after the dreamcast gave birth to such innovating games and gameplay!

360 = Crap Microcrash hardware! Steals others ideas trying to make themseleves look good!
PS3= $ony's Expensive casual market plan to sell (Blu Ray), and privide crappy selection of dull library!
Wii= Creative system geared towards games but a MASSIVE Butt-load of Casual Cheap Mini Game Shovelware! The amount of awesome games on the Wii is very slim!

Dreamcast is #1 :grin:
CaptTrips
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by CaptTrips »

Guys, Go to

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjLhSrSxFNw

Nintendo and Midway are pure evil: They make Sony look like it has a soul.

Yes, Your Dreamcast is able to do that.