What happened to PSX4ALL?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Maturion
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What happened to PSX4ALL?

Post by Maturion »

Does anyone know what happened to PSX4ALL?
Actually PSX4ALL was THE project that made me get back to the dreamcast scene after a long, long time.

It seems like there weren't any news on this since late 2006, but I remember Chui starting a petition which should get the pSX source code released. This must have been about a year ago. He said he wanted the source code to use it in PSX4ALL. I don't know what happened to the project since then.

Does anyone know, if he, zodttd or anyone else is still working on the project?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Re: What happened to PSX4ALL?

Post by Quzar »

Well, the project was zodttd's for much longer than chui got involved, and afaik he never contributed to any public code. There was a demo version released for staff at dcemu.co.uk, but other than that it's out in the ether. The biggest issue to worry about was that it was basically just pcsx with millions of modifications (trimmed down and optimized to run on a bunch of micro PC machines). The DC version took the assembly cores from pcsxdc and plopped them in.

From everything made public, it's in the same place as SNES4ALL and GENS4ALL.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Guaripolo
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Guaripolo »

psx4all was a dc psx emulator project that later join into psx4gp2x to get some kind of generic psx emulator project. As far as i know psx4all runned at about 15 fps without sound in dc, it runs better in gp2x (some games are playable at good speed) and in iphone...i don't know (zodttd's also made a psx4iphone).

The psx source code petition fail, the psx team refused to release the source, and nothing left can be done in that way.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Guaripolo wrote:The psx source code petition fail, the psx team refused to release the source, and nothing left can be done in that way.
That was a different emulator I think: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=96904

Afaik, Chui is still working on PS(X)4All: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=98173
Insane homebrew collector.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

It's dead, so forget about it and just get a PSX, you'll be happier with that and a "Breaker Pro".
Have you played dreamcast today?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

ZodTTD is indeed still working on psx4all, though I doubt he's working on a Dreamcast target. He says it's no longer based on PCSX (i.e. the remaining stuff from PCSX has been rewritten). and it seems that the current sources are not public.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Ex-Cyber wrote:ZodTTD is indeed still working on psx4all, though I doubt he's working on a Dreamcast target. He says it's no longer based on PCSX (i.e. the remaining stuff from PCSX has been rewritten). and it seems that the current sources are not public.
It's funny how some people interpret the GPL (and similar licenses) to allow that. But I've had that same discussion with him and see where he's coming from (despite not agreeing).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Quzar wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote:ZodTTD is indeed still working on psx4all, though I doubt he's working on a Dreamcast target. He says it's no longer based on PCSX (i.e. the remaining stuff from PCSX has been rewritten). and it seems that the current sources are not public.
It's funny how some people interpret the GPL (and similar licenses) to allow that. But I've had that same discussion with him and see where he's coming from (despite not agreeing).
Well, if it's really true that there's no longer any PCSX code in it, then I don't see why the GPL would apply to that version (as it's likely not a derivative work). If people, for whatever reason, want to get him to release sources for earlier ones, the most effective route would probably be to contact the PCSX team and ask one or more of them to intervene. End users and other developers can't do anything but beg. He has talked about updating his repo, but I don't think it's been done yet.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer