Has the recession hit you?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Has the recession hit you?

Post by SuperMegatron »

I was wondering how everyone is fairing in this recession. I was let go last week, luckily I managed to land another position. I went from 40k a year to 17k though. My work hours fell from 40-60 hours a week to just 15 hours now. I was an in-home case manager, now I am a group facilitator that does IOP groups. I get $65 bucks for a 3 hour group. The economy here in VA isnt that bad right now, but the weakness in the job market has pushed those with Psy. degrees out of there management jobs and into the human service job market. This now means my skill set is worth less then it was a few months ago. I got a few friends that have lost good paying jobs in the past few weeks. My best friend worked on one of free real estate magazines that showcase homes for sale. With home sales in the toilet the magazine couldn't sell enough ads to keep him on and they let him go. He was making about $22 a hour. In this market he can't find anything that pays him even close to that.
Specially Cork

Re: Has the recession hit you?

Post by Specially Cork »

Things aren't fantastic here in China. Before last summer we were planning on opening a second school in the city so we could keep up with the growing number of students...now our student total is one of the lowest it's ever been. Additionally, Corporate Language Teaching - something considerably more expensive and valuable to the school has completely disappeared. My job seems pretty secure overall though - we exceeded our target last month, something that hasn't happened in a while.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The California state budget is in pretty drastic shape, and the Governator wants to "fix" it by cutting school funds. As a result, there's about a 50/50 chance that I'll be out of a job come July. And even if I do still have a job, it'll probably be reduced from 11 months to 9.

However, this isn't really due to the recession; California's budget has been in bad shape for a long time. The previous governor (Gray Davis) was given the boot for dancing around the issue and just trying to plug it with short-term fixes (mostly bonds and borrowing...great solution :roll: ), then Schwarzenegger was elected and did the exact same thing. The main way the recession affects this is that it'll be much harder for me to find a *new* job if and when I get let go than it would have been otherwise.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

The New Orleans port will never stop... so I'm secure.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

By the start of the summer I should be able to combine my savings with selling off my star wars collection to buy my first house to flip. In miami the forclosure rates are ridiculous, but as long as you put in marble floors and granite counters a house will sell.

edit: Oh, and have a friendly appraiser and inspector.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Hasn't hit me yet, but it's about to. One of two things will happen on Friday: either the billionaire that already owns 30% of Circuit City will buy out the rest, or we go out of business.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I still just work part time, and I actually got a raise like a week ago. But, I just graduated from college (finally). I'm a film major, and opportunities in the industry have been drying up for quite a while, as in *years* - the recession is only making it worse. The smaller scale films are what is most hurt, of course, as there just isn't money out there.

However, there are other related careers I could end up going into. I think I might look into opportunities for digital editing, as I enjoy that, and you can find employment there in many sectors. For example, company training videos, government videos, advertising, many varieties in television, etc.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Well, so far the recession hasn't hurt me, it just has stopped me from advancing. I was promoted at Best Buy and making way more than I was previously, but that's not the type of moving up I wanted. Everyday I watch the design market around me shrink and it's giving me less hope of ever putting my degree to use. I've had two freelance jobs now that had me start a project only to have it canned days later due to not having the budget to pay me. I'm almost afraid to get a career now because I don't want my position to be eliminated shortly after starting on.
Roofus wrote:Hasn't hit me yet, but it's about to. One of two things will happen on Friday: either the billionaire that already owns 30% of Circuit City will buy out the rest, or we go out of business.
I hadn't even heard anything about that until you said something. That's going to suck.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I'm starting to get my resume and references together, because I'd say at this point there's about a 50% chance I won't have a job after June. Already started looking around a bit, but there's jack-all being advertised, and I can't actually start teaching until I get my credentials.

I was *going* to enroll in a graduate program this fall and get my credentials, but I need to be working to be able to afford that, and... well, vicious cycle. Just going to have to keep my eyes open and stay prepared, I guess. Rehire notices arrive in May; I don't think I'll be doing too much spending before then.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Hasn't hit me. Actually, I'm doing better than ever.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...Well, more bad news from Sacramento. Since they can't give us the money we need, the state is removing the restrictions on categorical funds. That means a bunch of jobs that were previously protected are now on the chopping block, and while my position will likely not be cut entirely, chances are someone else who has seniority *will* get cut, and thus will get my job.

The other day, I said there was about a 50% chance of my not having a job in the fall. After the news today, I'd say it's more like 70 or 80%. I suppose I should start looking.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

DaMadFiddler wrote:...Well, more bad news from Sacramento. Since they can't give us the money we need, the state is removing the restrictions on categorical funds. That means a bunch of jobs that were previously protected are now on the chopping block, and while my position will likely not be cut entirely, chances are someone else who has seniority *will* get cut, and thus will get my job.

The other day, I said there was about a 50% chance of my not having a job in the fall. After the news today, I'd say it's more like 70 or 80%. I suppose I should start looking.
Our governor in NY is making big cuts to education too. I don't get it. Things suck, so let's make them worse by underfunding education? Doesn't make any sense to me. The district my mom teaches in is going to have to lay off some teachers. My mom is safe, but what a horrible thing to do.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Sorry, Roofus :/

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/16/circ ... iquidated/
Engadget wrote:Even Circuit City's CEO admitted that liquidation was a very real possibility if a sale of the company didn't occur by January 16th, and needless to say, time's up. According to a breaking report from the AP, the once colossal electronics retailer will indeed be forced to liquidate, which should bring happy times for bargain hunters and sad times for employees. Now that details are starting to flow in, we're told that it will liquidate 567 of its US stores after failing to secure a buyer or refinancing deal. For those who care, Great American Group LLC, Hudson Capital Partners LLC, SB Capital Group LLC and Tiger Capital Group LLC have been chosen as liquidators.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

OneThirty8 wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:...Well, more bad news from Sacramento. Since they can't give us the money we need, the state is removing the restrictions on categorical funds. That means a bunch of jobs that were previously protected are now on the chopping block, and while my position will likely not be cut entirely, chances are someone else who has seniority *will* get cut, and thus will get my job.

Our governor in NY is making big cuts to education too. I don't get it. Things suck, so let's make them worse by underfunding education? Doesn't make any sense to me. The district my mom teaches in is going to have to lay off some teachers. My mom is safe, but what a horrible thing to do.
If anything, they should INCREASE education funding in hard times. But why invest in the future when we can fail in the present?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Sorry, Roofus :/

Engadget wrote:Even Circuit City's CEO admitted that liquidation was a very real possibility if a sale of the company didn't occur by January 16th, and needless to say, time's up. According to a breaking report from the AP, the once colossal electronics retailer will indeed be forced to liquidate, which should bring happy times for bargain hunters and sad times for employees. Now that details are starting to flow in, we're told that it will liquidate 567 of its US stores after failing to secure a buyer or refinancing deal. For those who care, Great American Group LLC, Hudson Capital Partners LLC, SB Capital Group LLC and Tiger Capital Group LLC have been chosen as liquidators.

Yeah, March 31st is our last day. At least Bush is getting laid off before me. :lol:
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

I still have a job, my food is provided for me by my campus dining plan, and gas is the cheapest it's been in 4 years. I'm doing rather well at the moment.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Roofus wrote:

Yeah, March 31st is our last day. At least Bush is getting laid off before me. :lol:
that damn bush. how many more businesses is he going to put under ?
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

pavelbure wrote:
Roofus wrote:

I'm sure as many as he can. At least with Obama in, I can go on the welfare. I won't have to work again until at least 2012; hopefully not until 2016.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Roofus wrote:
pavelbure wrote:
Roofus wrote:

I'm sure as many as he can. At least with Obama in, I can go on the welfare. I won't have to work again until at least 2012; hopefully not until 2016.
:lol: sad but true.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

This would be a sad story but it isn't. Circuit City was consistently over priced. The staff was almost always useless. Same story as CompUSA a few years ago. Fuckem.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead