Future of DC homebrew gone with the wind?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Future of DC homebrew gone with the wind?

Post by U-said-it »

Why are all of the DC forums dead? With the exception of an occasional new game (like "DUX"), there's hardly enough scene activity to even be considered a scene anymore.

No one bothers to remove the old 2007 news from Dcscene's front page, and the forums have been left to the spammers. It's still good for some reviews and/or homebrew downloads, but a lot of the links are drying up...

There's really nothing going on at the Dreamcast section of the Dcemu.co.uk site forums either. With all the attention moving on to other systems, why don't people just continue working on the wiki's, but eliminate these pointless forums? I know dcemu.co.uk was named on the DC homebrew scene, but every great system has a beginning and an end.

Has the homebrew scene seen it's last sunset?

I say look forward to the occasional official(or is it unofficial?) game release, but accept that just maybe, homebrew is dead...
ImageImage
Specially Cork

Re: Future of DC homebrew gone with the wind?

Post by Specially Cork »

Hi Xylene. How is your pathetic little life?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

U-said-it wrote:why don't people just continue working on the wiki's, but eliminate these pointless forums?
Why would the forums be removed? Most of the people here don't give a shit about the Dreamcast. Nearly all of the visitors here are really close friends.
It's thinking...
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U-said-it »

Well, excuse me... I do realize that quite a few people here are friends, but isn't this site's domain name based on the DC?

I guess it was a pointless question, but at least I got my answer about the state of Dreamcast homebrew scene.
ImageImage
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Well, the majority of these people were around when the Dreamcast scene was thriving, and became close. If anyone just so happens to get into DC Homebrew, they're around to help out and answer questions. DC gets some love once in awhile.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I've been here for over 6 years. I signed up to get help with DreamSNES, now I don't even own a Dreamcast. I stay around for the community. If there was only "the scene", I probably would've stopped coming here 2 or 3 years ago.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

DC gets some love once in awhile.
totally
*The Cadillac of signatures*
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

U-said-it wrote:Well, excuse me... I do realize that quite a few people here are friends, but isn't this site's domain name based on the DC?

I guess it was a pointless question, but at least I got my answer about the state of Dreamcast homebrew scene.
I'm just saying that it seems pointless to shut down the forums because they have mostly lost their focus when there are still good levels of participation. I will come here and post every day, as long as these people who I consider my close friends are here. I've chatted with these people every day for about a third of my entire life, and I wouldn't think of ending those relationships.
It's thinking...
Polymira
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Polymira »

Ugh, I can't believe it's really been that long ...

I was posting on the original dcemu like ... 7 years ago? Fuck, only 22 and I feel old.
--pSyCo
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U-said-it »

BoneyCork wrote:Hi Xylene. How is your pathetic little life?
What's a "Xylene"?
Sorry, just bugging me...
ImageImage
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Joined 8 or so years ago. Had my DC stolen after the first year. Stayed because it was and still is a decent community of gamers, many of which have very respectable opinions about games, in comparison to the bullshit you're fed now from review sites.

Some of the off topic conversations were great long ago as well, but they've been absent as of late.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

I had to chime in too.

No offense, but this is a really stupid idea. In a way, the brotherhood and fellowship of the community is what has helped preserve the scene for so long. Even those of us who aren't still active have strong roots here and still support the scene in spirit.

Look at all of the work that darc and the others have put into the new site.

As a developer currently working on something for Dreamcast, I can assure you that not having this community would drastically decrease my motivation. We need to know that people still care. And look around, they do.

Also, look at how well these commercial releases are doing. The scene itself might be diminishing, but developing a homebrew game for the Dreamcast as a platform doesn't seem to be any less rewarding.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

How good are the newer commercial releases doing? I really don't know - haven't seen anything that quite interested me enough to buy one yet.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

I've been here 7+ years too. God its been long. Haven't been a major part of the community at all really, just posting here and there. Just curious if anyone considered me a part of the community at all, or remembers me in general?
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Got interested in the scene when Gleam came out...

Just googled it, shit, 2000?!? Coming up to 9 years? I'm glad the old forums died, I don't need those angsty nu-metal years archived forever.