What are you playing or looking forward to?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: What are you playing or looking forward to?

Post by melancholy »

I absolutely demolished Mario Galaxy my first time through. It was a three week run where I simply could not stop playing until I got every last star available in the game. And even after investing countless hours, leaving no stone unturned and no star left to grab, I still wanted to go back and play it some more. It's the most fantastic game that may ever be released for the Wii.
Wagh
Wagh
Been thanked: 0

Post by Wagh »

Hasney wrote:Been playing some Saints Row 2

I can't speak for multi-player but on the single player front, nothings changed. I mean the story has, but the city hasn't. The gameplay hasn't.
Does it still have Big Ass Chains? That was a fucking amazing mode. Running around and stealing gold chains from other players. I played it so much my disc stopped working :/
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I just finished getting all 120 stars with Mario on Super Mario Galaxy... only to find that I have to do it all over again to fully complete the game (trying to not spoil it for anyone who hasn't done so). I'm actually excited about it though, I now have a reason to play through it again. As soon as I finished getting the last star, I started over from the first level again with... not Mario.

I really enjoyed this game, I'd even go so far to say that it's my favorite Mario game ever. Maybe even my favorite Nintendo game ever. There's talks of a new 3D Mario game coming to Wii late next year, but I'm wondering how they can ever top this...
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I am currently playing Super Mario Galaxy.

I fucking love it. It's everything Super Mario Sunshine should have been. I thought the whole planet-jumping thing was a stupid gimmick at first, but I haven't felt this addicted/satisfied with any Mario game... hell, scratch that, a NINTENDO game since Super Mario 64. Trying to get every damn star in the game takes me back to when I first got Super Mario 64 and I played it so much that I had dreams about collecting stars. Completely nostalgic, yet refreshingly new at the same time.

I'm trying to take my time with the game, knowing it'll probably be at least another 10 years before Nintendo put out another game like this, but I can't help myself. I've already collected over half of the stars in the game in just a few days and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

And don't get me wrong, Super Mario Sunshine was still a decent game, it just can't compare. Emphasis on the F.L.U.D.D. and collecting all the stupid blue coins in order to get all the stars just kinda ruined it for me. I beat the game with just over 100 stars and didn't have the patience to go back and scour every level for the remaining blue coins. The game relied too much on using the F.L.U.D.D. to get around the level and find shit rather than requiring good ol' platforming skills, exploration, and puzzle-solving like SM64 and SMG.
Reminds me of what some reviews said about "next gen" mario. that mario 64/sunshine/galaxy is similar to mario 1,2 and 3. As mario 2 was not really a mario game, but still sometime similar, as was sunshine. Yet mario 3 returned to the roots of what the original was. I actually have thought of picking up Mario sunshine from a bargain bin and getting my GC out of the closet to give it a whirl. Is it a decent game, I mean really?
I just finished getting all 120 stars with Mario on Super Mario Galaxy... only to find that I have to do it all over again to fully complete the game (trying to not spoil it for anyone who hasn't done so). I'm actually excited about it though, I now have a reason to play through it again. As soon as I finished getting the last star, I started over from the first level again with... not Mario.
so wait, what happens? why do you have to go through again, how is it different?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Is it a decent game, I mean really?
I don't think it was a bad game, it just completed failed to meet my expectations. I loved every minute of Mario 64, and had to wait 6 years for a "sequel". Considering the company, the legacy, and how much I loved the previous installment, I think it was fair to be expecting something fantastic - but it just wasn't.

Lots of very obvious niggles appeared very quickly for me; I didn't like the overuse of the FLUDD, I thought the levels were far too similar and uninspiring, too much coin collecting, having to beat each boss twice...they didn't make the game bad, just...not so amazing.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Nico0020 wrote:Is it a decent game, I mean really?
Yeah, it's decent, and worth playing through. It's a great platformer on its own (especially considering there's not many platformers anymore that aren't God Of War style games with action thrown in.) As BoneyCork said, all the levels look the same. They're all island-themed. The FLUDD gimmick gets old really quickly as well. Entering a level and spraying all the goo crap away, then using the hover nozzle to get around the level, then fighting a boss which chances are you just have to shoot it with water like all the other bosses. It just doesn't feel like a Mario game... at all.
Nico0020 wrote:so wait, what happens? why do you have to go through again, how is it different?
I was trying not to spoil it, but I'm sure nobody here cares.

After you get all 120 stars as Mario and beat Bowser again, you get an extended ending and unlock Luigi. After that, you play through the game starting from the beginning, but as Luigi, collecting all 120 stars again. There's really not much of a difference except Luigi can jump higher, but he's harder to control (after you stop running, he slides a little bit before coming to a complete stop, almost like you're on ice making it a little more challenging.) Then after you get all 120 stars with Luigi, you unlock a whole new mini-level taking place on Earth I believe where the intro takes place, with the last star in the game.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

sounds, kinda interesting. Sucks that all the levels look the same. Mario 64 was so diverse, and did what it could to maintain world changes like in the original. I watched the final boss battle, bowser is fucking huge.

Might hook my GC up again, if anything I'll play some Kirby Air Ride with my friends. I am pretty sure I can pick this up in a bargain bin at gamestop or something, I just need to get paid again before I do. But if I can get the game for 5 dollars, and get an hour of so of enjoyment out of it, no harm done.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Right now I'm playing

wii games: mario galaxy

roms on wii: devils crush (tg-16)

yoshi's island (snes)

pc genjin (gamecube)
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

I rented Wario Land last weekend for the Wii. I played it all week and beat it. I loved it.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I just started Digital Devil Saga, but I may put it on hold since Persona 4 is only two weeks away.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Still playing Fallout 3. I'll probably be playing it all through December. Also playing Mother 3, but it's slow going because of Fallout.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Fallout 3 for me as well. Given it about 30 hours of my life so far and feel like I've barely done anything. Got a Pipboy full of quests, a main story that hasn't progressed far beyond my vault exit and a map full of empty space. I'd love to see everything this game has to offer, but I think burn-out will come first, especially when there's so much other stuff I want to be playing.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 are coming soon from Gamefly. My roommate and I will chew on those for a while.

My roommate bought Call of Duty: WaW and I've enjoyed that so far. I played 1/4 of a mission, but got addicted to multiplayer. I think the maps are much more … dramatic than the first. A lot of the maps seems much more complex than Call of Duty 4. Plus, it seems some are tailor-made for certain game modes, which is nice.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

BoneyCork wrote:Fallout 3 for me as well. Given it about 30 hours of my life so far and feel like I've barely done anything. Got a Pipboy full of quests, a main story that hasn't progressed far beyond my vault exit and a map full of empty space. I'd love to see everything this game has to offer, but I think burn-out will come first, especially when there's so much other stuff I want to be playing.
It took me about 55 hours just to thin out the amount of quests I got from visiting only two cities. The entire top half of the map hasn't even been touched.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

It seems that Fallout can take up a lot of your time, but is it worth paying $60 for it? I wouldnt mind buying it but with college right around the corner I need to make sure that the money I spend is money well spent and I dont want to drop that much money on a game unless I know I am going to enjoy the days spent playing it.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

mrandyk wrote:It seems that Fallout can take up a lot of your time, but is it worth paying $60 for it? I wouldnt mind buying it but with college right around the corner I need to make sure that the money I spend is money well spent and I dont want to drop that much money on a game unless I know I am going to enjoy the days spent playing it.
Most games I enjoy are finished by the 30 hour mark.
Most games I don't enjoy will never reach the 30 hour mark.
So if I'm playing something beyond that benchmark it means I feel like I'm getting my money's worth and then some.

In brief, Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns and a more logical and balanced levelling-system. Some like to say it's a lot more different from Oblivion than that (for positive or negative reasons), but it feels very much the same to me, both engine-wise and gameplay-wise.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

My 360 is in the pawn shop and probably won't be seeing daylight again until after the holidays, so my Wii is getting a lot of playtime.

Finished Metroid Prime 3. Pretty cool.

I was playing Zelda: Twilight Princess, got to the Lakebed Temple and got bored with it and set it down for awhile. This game feels more like a chore to play through than an actual game... I liked OoT, but then again it took me a good seven years to finally finish that one too.

I'm currently playing Call Of Duty: World At War online on the Wii. The graphics are shitty, but I love playing it with the Wiimote. As much as I prefer Call Of Duty 4, if for the fact that it's modern if nothing else, it'll be hard to go back to playing a FPS with a standard controller now. Once you've mastered the Wiimote in this game, you're unstoppable online, getting headshots like nothing.