CrabEmu 0.1.8 Released

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

CrabEmu 0.1.8 Released

Post by BlueCrab »

It is the middle of the month of November, nothing is going on, so it seems like the perfect time for a new release of CrabEmu. CrabEmu 0.1.8 has many under-the-hood changes and bugfixes. Here's a look at some of the larger ones:
  • Added preliminary support for the Terebi Oekaki drawing board (Mac OS X only, at the moment).
  • Changed the VDP cache updating function to use a lookup table and other VDP emulation speedups.
  • Practically rewrote the entirety of CrabZ80 to create a much smaller code footprint.
  • Added a much nicer image to the controller preferences dialog on Mac OS X.
  • Fixed color banding issues on the Dreamcast GUI.
  • Added a 50/60 Hz selector to the Dreamcast port when a European Dreamcast is detected.
  • Enabled stereo sound in the Dreamcast port.
  • Fixed an annoying save bug in the Dreamcast port.
Oh yeah, the Dreamcast port finally runs full-speed (at least as much as I've tested it).

Enjoy the release, and be sure to report any issues that you may find. Download it here
Maturion
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: CrabEmu 0.1.8 Released

Post by Maturion »

What a nice release! When I get back home I'll definately try it!
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U-said-it »

Sounds cool. Any chance someone could post some screens of the GUI, and maybe a video of a game running on it?
ImageImage
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Oh, this sounds great! and it couldn't have come at a better time :)

- Somehow the downloads counter of sourceforge still shows 0 although at least I downloaded it. Strange.
Insane homebrew collector.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Christuserloeser wrote:- Somehow the downloads counter of sourceforge still shows 0 although at least I downloaded it. Strange.
Yeah, that takes a while to update... The project stats has up-to-date statistics though.
Dutchdude
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Dutchdude »

Great release :grin:

I tried it yesterday and I must say it runs great, however some games seem to have a little slowdown at random points.
For the next release (if ther will be any) I hope you put in an option to resize the screen (I like to play fullscreen) and maybe with a filter or something.
Also thanx for the 50Hz option :lol:

Keep up the good work !!!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Dutchdude wrote:Great release :grin:

I tried it yesterday and I must say it runs great, however some games seem to have a little slowdown at random points.
If you could provide any specific examples it would be helpful (especially if you can identify the parts that cause the slowdown as well as the game).
For the next release (if ther will be any) I hope you put in an option to resize the screen (I like to play fullscreen) and maybe with a filter or something.
The reason that its not "fullscreen" to start with is an aesthetic choice on my part. I hate it when games get stretched to resolutions they don't actually fit in. This would be especially the case with Game Gear games.... I might add the option for fullscreen next release, if its wanted... As for filtering, if the emulator isn't running at full speed all the time, then filtering isn't an option (other than having the PVR do bilinear filtering or something). Filtering takes an extraordinarily large amount of CPU power, so I don't think its possible for the time being.
Also thanx for the 50Hz option :lol:
I assume that it works then? That's one part I really couldn't test myself (I have only a US Dreamcast, and don't have any TVs capable of accepting a 50Hz signal).
Dutchdude
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Dutchdude »

Well, the first slowdown I noticed was in Sonic 1 (MS version) quite in the beginning of the 2nd stage of the greenhill zone (tested in 50Hz mode). The rest of the games I tested seemed to run fullspeed without problem. However when I run the emu in 60Hz mode almost every game I tried seemed to have slowdown from the start (for example all sonic games). For me its no problem because I play everything in 50Hz :wink: But for other people it maybe a problem.
As for the filter I indeed ment something like a bilinear filter. 8-)

Thanx for the quick response. :)
dream devil
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dream devil »

I'll try it out as soon as i get my back