Help Getting Started?

Discuss various gameplay related topics (rare hunts, time-attack records, etc) here. Anything PSO-related goes here, even if it isn't directly related to Sylverant.

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Roadstrumm
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help Getting Started?

Post by Roadstrumm »

Hi everybody. I'm brand new to both PSO and playing Dreamcast online, and need some help kind of getting into the meat of PSO. I can access and Sylverant PSO servers, my character and group show up on the home page showing I've connected. However, I have absolutely no idea what to do in order to start playing. I go to the hunter's guild to take a mission (such as Lost Heat Sword or Mop Up Operation #1), warp down to the forest and get murdered instantly by the first enemies there. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Like is there a tutorial mission, or a scripted mission to start with? Or perhaps an official (or unofficial) Sylverant newbies guide?

As stated previously, I didn't play PSO back when the servers actually existed and only created my account today. But after spending around an hour or so trying to do well, anything even resembling completing a mission, I got kind of frustrated and went here to ask for help.

Thanks in advance,
Roadstrumm
Roadstrumm
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: Help Getting Started?

Post by Roadstrumm »

Side note: feel I should mention I didn't play the "offline" mode at all, just jumping straight into online. Is this my big mistake? Are you supposed to do some quests offline to level up before going online? I'm really kind of confused.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

The "how to play" quests you're looking for are offline, yes. Specifically, "Battle Training" gives you some advice on how to fight enemies, while "Magnitude of Metal" teaches you about Mags. It's also worth noting that enemies are weaker offline than online, so it's easier to solo if you're offline, especially if you play those quests and use the NPCs as meat shields. ;)

If you're new to the game, you should definitely try to play on Saturdays, as that's when most V2 players are sure to be online. You may want to check into the DC-Live game that starts at 5 ET on Vega, as they're usually willing to include lowbees. Most of the games you'll find are in Ultimate, as we've been playing the game for quite some time. :P If you need help learning how to play, I'm sure we can teach you a thing or two, though. ;)

Playing online right off the bat isn't a mistake per say, but you will need help from other players both for defeating the enemies, as well as to teach you how to play.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Roadstrumm
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Roadstrumm »

Thanks, and just for clarification, ET is United States East Coast correct (New York, Florida, et cetera) Will def. play some offline to get the hang of things.
Again, thanks a bunch.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Roadstrumm wrote:Thanks, and just for clarification, ET is United States East Coast correct (New York, Florida, et cetera)
Yes, that is indeed the timezone meant.