[GC] Altimira

Discuss various gameplay related topics (rare hunts, time-attack records, etc) here. Anything PSO-related goes here, even if it isn't directly related to Sylverant.

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: [GC] Altimira

Post by Aleron Ives »

Resurgent Darkness now has "Super Hard", and the problem of getting disconnected in the final room is fixed. Thanks go to Otto Baus for helping me to test the fix.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Otto Baus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Been thanked: 0

Post by Otto Baus »

I'm not re-reading through this thread to see if you know about this Super Hard glitch. Also, please do NOT fix it because it saves me a bit of time and isn't exactly an exploit. Or at least, I cannot (yet) figure out HOW to exploit it... Attempts have been made, is all I'm saying.

So if you quit a quest in which you enabled SH, the flag stays active online for the episode you enabled SH in until you beat an SH quest in that episode. It does NOT transfer to non SH quests, and also won't transfer to SH available quests in another episode either. BOO!! Probably because whatever new edits/files/table/whatever the game needs to reference to make SH possible isn't actually there for those enemies, and SH doesn't use equations to modify the existing ones? That's my uneducated guess, anyway.

It is nice to not have to talk to the soldier every time I run to the 2nd floor of the East Tower in PW4 hunting Gigue for SJS though, and that is how I noticed it. I got tired of talking to him each time and said screw this, I don't need no stinking SH! To my surprise, it was still activated anyway. Huzzah!

As an aside, we (the royal "I") were talking and it would please our (my) autism greatly if there were a reference chart of the new enemy stats in SH. Generally speaking, it's pretty obvious that enemies in SH trade lower EVP for more DFP and HP and lower EFR, EIC, ELT, and [the other one I don't remember] respectively for higher EDK. Raw data is neat, too. Probably a pita to organize it anyway.

Lastly, that sparkly warp in 3.1c is either a fucking booby trap or the ultimate troll. It caused me no end of grief last night, and I was not alone. EWs were shared between me and Corey, and also a DC on my end after the final run, too. It took us 4 attempts before we all made it to Falz. Apparently it can force you to warp as soon as you come near the threshold for the door, meaning you ain't got time to cycle weps or load the MAG screen. Fuggin' PSO, mang...
HotteLunch - HUcast
Gaijin - RAcast
MintChip - FOnewearl
MAGz - extra bank storage character; RAmarl currently
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

The tendency for quest-induced enemy stats to persist into future runs has been known for years; it's one of the reasons why the functionality is buggy. Even so, I have never been able to replicate it. I even tried PW4 just now, and the stats reset to Ultimate when I made a new team, as expected. It's probably a side effect of the all around terrible US disc, as the only people I know of who have experienced this problem are using it. ;)

As for 3.1c, the idea is that when everybody is standing in the hallway switching weapons ASAP, one player will stand in the sparkly, switch weapons, and press A. The sparkly reacts much faster than a boss teleporter, so it's easier to time the weapon switching correctly than when you have to wait up to 10 seconds for the boss teleporter to decide it's ready to send you to the boss.

The range of qualifying for being ready for the boss fight does indeed cover the hallway, so if your team is being careless and somebody just presses A when the last person enters the hallway, then yes, you're probably not going to see any benefit. Nobody gets teleported anywhere until somebody presses A. If you get EW a lot, then you should treat Dark Falz teleportation events more seriously and discuss who is going to do what before you try to start the fight. Even so, luck is always required to make it successfully, which is why 1c is the least-played MA3.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I've just added something of an open beta test for Episode II Challenge mode. Stage3 has received the following modifications:
  • The Mericarol in Jungle East is no longer random and will always be a Mericarol, so you don't have to make a new team when you get the other variants.
  • Mountain now has 2 boxes that give a fixed Buster and a fixed Lockgun, since finding Busters is extremely difficult, and Brands are grossly underpowered for fighting Gal Gryphon.
The Lockgun is mostly for the sake of Rangers, so they don't suck so badly when fighting Gal Gryphon. Of course these weapons don't have percentages, so you still need to find an A.Beast Buster if you want to defeat Gal Gryphon quickly, but at least this establishes a better baseline for fighting him and reduces the chance of failure when you get bad drops from Gees.

The boxes are behind the rock wall next to the teleporter to Seaside. To access them, you have to hit the timer switch in the southeastern corner of the map and then run through the timed fence and saws. The four boxes used to drop 2 random weapons and 2 random frames, but the frame boxes have been replaced with Buster and Lockgun. There are already other boxes that drop frames with 4 slots, so these 2 random frame boxes were never important, anyway.

Feedback is welcome as to whether these changes make the stage more consistent between runs. As always Iselia remains vanilla, and I could revert these changes on Altimira if they aren't really helpful or desired.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Fragments of a Memory now has "Super Hard", and in an attempt to make Ruins 3 more enjoyable, I've altered how the ghosts will behave when you enable it. You will now need to attack in order to make the ghosts back away, rather than standing still, so you no longer have to sit around and get killed in order to avoid getting caught.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I've made a few changes this time around. Maximum Attack 3 now gives slightly more points on Very Hard than before, and "Super Hard" bosses have less DFP.

I've also implemented another attempt to reduce the frequency of the "Endless Warp" bug. When you use the sparkly that sends you to Dark Falz, you will get sent to Pioneer 2 first, and then you'll immediately get sent to Dark Falz. I don't know how effective this approach will be, but it's worth a try. The sparkly at the end of East Tower in Phantasmal World #4 also will send you back to CCA instead of West Tower, so you have the opportunity to deposit anything you found in ET before you risk another crash.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

[GC] Acrid Aquifer

Post by Aleron Ives »

The water supply
for Pioneer 2 has
been cut off!

Client: Principal
Quest:
A malfunction in Ragol's
waterworks is threatening
the city's water supply.
Repair the pumping station
before Pioneer 2 exhausts
its remaining water!
Reward: ??? Meseta

I've brought the third entry in my "frantic" trio of quests to GC. Do you have what it takes to save the thirsty citizens of Pioneer 2 from Ragol's speedy enemies?

I've retrofitted the quest to take advantage of some new GC features, so hopefully everything works properly. If it doesn't, you can always report a problem here. ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: [GC] Acrid Aquifer

Post by BlueCrab »

Time to report OVER 9000 bugs. ;-)
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I'm pleased to announce another significant update to Garon's Shop. This time, I've overhauled Lucky Roulette, including changing the figures on the board:

Spoiler!

The summary of changes is as follows:
  • There is now only one nurse instead of two, so the rate of getting Scape Doll is lower.
  • Landing on one of the girls awards a random music disc.
  • Landing on Garon now gives 1 Garon point, rather than a Monomate.
  • The odds of landing on Paganini are slightly higher.
  • If you land on Paganini, the odds of getting another Black Gear are higher.
  • If you land on Paganini, you now have a 1% chance to win a Photon Sphere, instead of a Photon Drop.
  • The odds of landing on Nol are higher.
  • If you land on Nol, the odds of getting a weapon with above average Hit are higher.
  • Nol's weapon tiers have been adjusted. Rangers can now win Mechguns, while Forces can win Handguns. This finally gives Rangers the chance to win a useful weapon from Roulette.
  • The Roulette RNG has been improved slightly.
  • The Roulette spins smoothly and no longer skips past Garon before it starts to slow down. 8)
In addition, I've updated the slot machine to use Roulette's RNG logic, so the results are better and more random than before. The slot machine will also award a Lucky Coin if you get multiple wins in a row.

Finally (and most importantly?!), I've updated the song selection on the jukebox. ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

[GC] Halloween Horror

Post by Aleron Ives »

Contain a
dire situation
in Ragol's ruins!

Client: Ceek, soldier
Quest:
A mysterious rift has
opened in Ragol's ruins
and is threatening the
security of Pioneer 2.
Seal the rift before the
city is overwhelmed!
Reward: ??? Meseta

I've now brought Halloween Horror, the second entry in my "frantic" trio of quests, to GC. Do you have what it takes to brave the terrifying conditions in Ragol's ancient ruins? You have a month to find out. 8-)
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I've added a new quest called "Patches for Plus". As you might guess, this quest allows you to apply some of the patches that non-Plus players can get via server-side patching, since Plus doesn't support that feature. Some of the patches have been simplified, e.g. the Draw Distance Patch updates fewer objects, but the most important patching functionality is available in this quest for Plus players who use a real GameCube and thus can't use the ISO patches.

Huge thanks go to Ralf for discovering that quests are able to do this!
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

If you've been around the PSO scene for a while, you're probably aware that most BB servers have implemented materials and grinders that stack to 99 in order to use bank space more efficiently. While this isn't possible on GC due to client sync limitations, I've just implemented a system in Garon's Shop to effectively allow GC players to stack their surplus tools, as well.

You now have the option to purchase Garon vouchers when you talk to Garon. To buy a voucher, bring 20 materials, grinders, or Scape Dolls and pay either 5000 Meseta or 15 Garon points, and you can exchange your items for a Garon voucher. You can redeem the voucher whenever you want to get your items back, for an additional transaction fee of 5000 Meseta or 15 Garon points.

You can have up to 5 vouchers per item type, so at 20 items per voucher, you can store 100 of each material and grinder as vouchers without having to use any bank space. (Note that due to technical limitations, you can only have 3 Scape Doll vouchers, not 5.)

Picking the information option will allow you to check how many vouchers you currently have, like so:

Spoiler!

You no longer have to make mule characters to stockpile your tools. Overstuffed banks everywhere, rejoice! :mrgreen:

In order to accommodate this and future feature expansions, I've also adjusted the way the wrapping system works. You must now unlock wrapping papers in a specific order, and Zidd will prompt you for the specific paper he's looking for next. When you unlock all of the regular papers, you will now be able to access the previously unobtainable red/green wrapping paper, too. May your future PSO gift giving be more festive. :D
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Christmas Catastrophe has gotten some updates this year. When you beat the quest, you will now be given your choice of a low-tier weapon (green, blue, pink, or red) that will receive a randomly selected special attack and Hit percentage. The weapon will also come wrapped as a present using the next wrapping paper you need to unlock in Garon's Shop. If you want to unlock the wrapping papers, bring the present to Zidd before you unwrap it. If you've already unlocked every paper type, you'll get a randomly selected wrapping paper, instead.

The "secret" side quest has also gotten an update... ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I'm pleased to announce another set of updates and new features for Garon's Shop.

To begin, you can now carry up to 1000 Garon points, instead of 100. The higher cap goes with the first new feature, in that you can now buy certain items directly from Garon for either Meseta or points. Note that if you get more than 100 points, you'll see an incorrect point value if you play the original quest on another server.

The items you can buy are:

Code: Select all

Item               Meseta    Points
Monogrinder        50000     100
Digrinder          100000    200
Trigrinder         150000    300
Defend Material    200000    400
Evade Material     250000    500
Mind Material      300000    600
Power Material     350000    700
HP Material        400000    800
TP Material        450000    900
Photon Drop        500000    1000
In this way, Meseta is actually good for something besides restocking your Trimates and Trifluids.

Of course, getting hundreds of points from the button mashing and timing games would be very difficult, so the slot machine has also been updated to work better with this new system. The odds of winning have been greatly increased, the prize tier probabilities have been revised, and the Meseta and Garon point payouts have also risen significantly, so even if you don't win an item, you can still get a payout proportional to how much Meseta you put in (e.g. 100+ Garon points for a 100K gamble).

I've also added a new game: you can now play the "High and Low" game from Beach Laughter to win Garon points, in addition to the button mashing and timing games. The number of points you win is based on how many times you guess the correct number in a row.

Finally, I've expanded the Guild Card counter to be a more comprehensive statistics machine. You can now see the number of Guild Cards, playtime (in hours, beats, and months/weeks/days), and total deaths (since level 1) of each player in the team.

Please let me know if there are any problems, and enjoy!
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I'm pleased to announce another major update for Super Hard: with BlueCrab's help, I've added a kill-tracking side quest. The enemies you kill will now be counted towards a goal of 1 million kills, with a reward of 3 Photon Spheres for every 25 000 kills you get. Here are the details:
  • Kills are tracked per Guild Card, so all of your characters share the same kills. You can therefore use any character you want to contribute towards your total kills.
  • Kills are counted in every SH quest, so you can play any quest and area you want.
  • Kills are counted at the end of quests, so you must finish them in order to get any credit.
  • Unlike the Maximum Attack quests, your kill total is personal, rather than a shared total of how many enemies your whole team has killed in the quest.
  • You can check how many kills you and your teammates have at the statistics machine in Garon's Shop.
  • When you surpass a multiple of 25 000 kills, talk to the soldier next to the Lab teleporter in Garon's Shop, and then...
In the process of updating all the quests for this new side quest, I've also made some other changes:
  • Quests that used to require 4 players to open certain doors now require only 2 players.
  • The elemental weaknesses of several SH enemies have been swapped.
  • The talking bug with the SH NPC is (hopefully) fixed.
  • You no longer need to talk to the client before you can claim your Photon Crystals after beating a quest.
  • The West Tower: Elly is fixed and will now appear correctly if everybody has completed Seat of the Heart on the current difficulty.
  • The West Tower: it is now possible to return to Seabed from Control Tower.
  • The West Tower: Recons in Seabed no longer get stuck on Recoboxes.
  • Phantasmal World #3: the Recons in the last room no longer spawn in the ceiling.
  • Phantasmal World #3: the Barrier Field machine cost now scales per difficulty (500/1000/2000/4000 Meseta).
  • Phantasmal World #3: you can now access the Barrier Field when playing alone. The Barrier Field lasts 60 seconds solo and 30 seconds in multiplayer.
  • Phantasmal World #4: Gi Gues are less likey to spam their shields after every hit.
  • Phantasmal World #4: you can no longer get stuck behind the objects on ET 10F.
  • ET/WT/PW4: several objects have been adjusted to prevent you from getting stuck when you walk into them with the Movement Patch.
  • ET/WT/TT: enemy ESP has been reduced in SH for the offline versions.
  • Miscellaneous fixes
Finally, playing Super Hard is now required to access the Photon Crystal features of Garon's Shop. If you haven't been playing SH, you won't be able to sell rare items or spend Photon Crystals anymore.

I've updated nearly every quest in the process of implementing this, so let me know if I've missed any bugs, and enjoy!
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

With BlueCrab's help, I've added two new features to Garon's Shop for S-Rank weapons: you can now rename them and change their name type. The S-Rank name type feature was originally available on DC by selecting the "NO TYPE" option when you beat Challenge mode, but since Sega removed this option in GC, getting S-Ranks with the weapon type hidden was previously impossible. Here are the details:
  • It costs 10 Photon Drops to change the weapon's name type. When you hide the type, only your chosen S-Rank name is shown, e.g. S-Rank "LIGHT SABER" would say only "LIGHT" when the weapon type is hidden. You can also reverse the process for 10 Photon Drops if the type is already hidden.
  • It costs 20 Photon Drops to change the weapon's name. If you've hidden the weapon type, the type will still be hidden after you change the name. As with the regular S-Rank naming window in Challenge mode, you cannot use names that would be censored in chat.
Neither renaming nor changing the weapon name type has any effect on the S-Rank's grind or special attack. To avoid confusion, adding specials to S-Ranks is now called "Enhance ES Weapon", while changing the weapon name type and name are under the "Modify ES Weapon" category.

Please let me know if there are any problems, and enjoy!
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I've made another small update to Garon's Shop:
  • You can now confirm your new S-Rank weapon name, so it's a bit easier to avoid making mistakes.
  • The jukebox song list has been adjusted again.
  • The jukebox now synchronises between all players.
  • A small, previously unknown bug with Lucky Roulette has been fixed: there are supposed to be two lightning particles when you land on a figure, but due to Sega's sloppy code, the second particle has always been broken, and nobody even knew it existed. Now you get to see Sega's intended effect. Yay? :P
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

In order to improve the convenience factor, I've updated the Garon voucher system to store the vouchers on the server. The new system works like so:
  • Each voucher is good for 5 items.
  • You can buy or redeem a voucher for 1000 Meseta or 3 Garon points.
  • You can have up to 200 vouchers for each type of item.
  • Vouchers are shared between all of your characters, assuming they have the same Guild Card number.
You can therefore store up to 1000 of each item across all of your characters. You can also deposit items on one character and withdraw them on a different character. This system should be more flexible and easier to use than the old one. If you missed the announcement about this change on Discord and weren't able to redeem your vouchers under the old system, please contact me here or on Discord, and I'll help you get your items back so you can move them to the new system.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Now that some people have noticed a change in Garon's Shop, I must sadly post this update. Several people have been continuing to abuse the shop system by amassing piles of rares elsewhere, spamming mostly Lost HEAT SWORD as a low effort way to gain access to the shop to sell their most valuable rares, and then disappearing again. People who do this now get permanently banned from accessing the Photon Crystal system.

The ability to sell rare items was always intended as a supplement to the Super Hard Photon Crystal reward, and while it may seem quaint to people who are used to playing spammy quests with boosted drop rates, for people who actually play on Sylverant, the selling system has worked as intended. It's obvious that people who spam one of the easiest quests in order to sell their rares don't really enjoy playing Super Hard or on Sylverant in general, so I've now saved you the hassle of feigning interest in what we have to offer, as doing so is no longer worth your while.

I am well aware that my offerings on Altimira do not compete with the wide variety of spam quests created by other quest developers, and I do not begrudge people who want to play that kind of content. At the same time, people who have no interest in actually playing here should not expect to have access to our unique features.

Super Hard and other Altimira features are mostly geared towards Dreamcast players who also play GameCube but prefer the PSO Ver.2 style of gameplay. This is naturally going to be a very small cross section of the people who play PSO, and that's fine. Most GameCube players either never played Dreamcast at all or played it briefly, decided it was too difficult, and went to play GameCube. A special difficulty that replaces GameCube Ultimate with one that more closely aligns with the Dreamcast meta is therefore going to have low appeal to them, and that's fine.

My goal has always been to create a community of like-minded players, even if it's not the biggest community out there. The purpose of Super Hard is to essentially replace Ultimate for people who find GameCube Ultimate annoying and unfair (especially if you don't have Freeze Trap or Frozen Shooter), and since those people play Super Hard almost exclusively, they have no trouble accessing the related shop features.

This is not to say that anybody caught playing elsewhere is automatically in trouble; after all, the limited appeal of our features means that we often have low player counts, and people want to be able to play together. It is rather a public acknowledgement that it is easy to tell which players intend only to abuse our features and that they will no longer benefit from doing so.
These users thanked the author Aleron Ives for the post:
laz305
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I'm pleased to announce a major update to the "Patches for Plus" quest. After many hours of work, it is now close to feature parity with server-side patching, so Plus users aren't missing out anymore. Here's what's new:
  • The Draw Distance, Chat, Event Music, and Bugfix patches have been upgraded to the full versions available with server-side patching.
  • The Keyboard, Rain, Rare Alert, Mag Alert, Decoction, and Save Icon patches have been added.
  • Most patches now support JP 1.04 discs, as well as the previously supported JP 1.05 and US 1.02 discs.
In addition, you can now automatically apply your favorite patches with only a few button presses. The automatic patching system works like so:
  1. Use Patch Select to apply the patches you want to use, one by one, as usual.
  2. Use Save Patches to store a list of these patches on the server, then exit the quest.
  3. The next time you want to patch the game, select Load Patches to automatically apply your favorite patches again.
This makes it a bit more convenient to patch your game, since there are now two pages of patches to look through. :)
"Fear the HUnewearl."