A Newbie With Some Questions

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

DustinVG
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A Newbie With Some Questions

Post by DustinVG »

Alright, so, I’ve been messing around with DreamPi for a good while and have had some good fun with it.

I recently managed to get a hold of a used copy of Phantasy Star Online Version 2, a game which I’ve never played before.

I burnt the patch disc, followed the instructions and the game booted up. It asked me for my serial and whatnot, but when I tried to enter the code into the game, it’d just play a buzzer noise and erase what I had entered.

I managed to get online using a key I found in a tutorial. I’m leaning now that this is probably what was meant by a “shared key” and, if so, I apologize for doing so; I was immensely confused by the procedure.

I suppose my questions are: if you’re not supposed to do that, how do I get online with my actual code? Is the game supposed to react that way? Do you have to have a new copy? Did I screw up majorly or is it a simple fix?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: A Newbie With Some Questions

Post by BlueCrab »

The only reasons it should give you that buzzing sound when you put in a code is if you've either put it in incorrectly or you've used a code for a different version of the game (i.e, a game from a different region than your disc is from or from PSOv1 in PSOv2). I suspect your problem was that you simply made a typo when putting in the code. The serial number will only have numbers and the letters from A-F (it's actually just a hexadecimal number), where the access key can have any letters or numbers. Perhaps you've misread a 0 as an O or a I as an l?

At this point, you'll have to erase the flashrom of your Dremacast (and any PSO characters you've created on your memory cards) in order to use your real code. The easiest way to erase your flashrom is to burn the flashrom erasing tool that's available for download from the PSO Palace website. You will then have to put in your internet settings again in order to play online, and PSO should once again ask you for your serial number and access key.
DustinVG
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by DustinVG »

BlueCrab wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:54 am The only reasons it should give you that buzzing sound when you put in a code is if you've either put it in incorrectly or you've used a code for a different version of the game (i.e, a game from a different region than your disc is from or from PSOv1 in PSOv2). I suspect your problem was that you simply made a typo when putting in the code. The serial number will only have numbers and the letters from A-F (it's actually just a hexadecimal number), where the access key can have any letters or numbers. Perhaps you've misread a 0 as an O or a I as an l?

At this point, you'll have to erase the flashrom of your Dremacast (and any PSO characters you've created on your memory cards) in order to use your real code. The easiest way to erase your flashrom is to burn the flashrom erasing tool that's available for download from the PSO Palace website. You will then have to put in your internet settings again in order to play online, and PSO should once again ask you for your serial number and access key.
I've reset my Dreamcast flashrom and deleted all save data, as advised. Double checked the code, too; there are no easily mistakable characters in there such as 0/O and I/l. Unfortunately, no dice. Entering the code when it asks for it on the new game or options menu simply results in it rejecting it.

I suppose it is possible that the code is for a different version of the game. However, I find this vanishingly unlikely, as the code is on a sticker inside the case. The only way I could see this being the case is if the original owner had both versions and put the disc in the wrong case. Does the case's side for Version 2 usually say "Phantasy Star Online Version 2" or somesuch, or just "Phantasy Star Online"?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Since you said the code is on a sticker, that means it's a US copy of the game, right?

Also, to answer the question you specifically asked, the game should identify itself as "Ver.2" all over the place -- on the case, the manual, the disc, the game's title screen, etc. The patcher should also tell you you're attempting to use version 2 of the game when you boot it up with that.
DustinVG
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by DustinVG »

BlueCrab wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:35 pm Since you said the code is on a sticker, that means it's a US copy of the game, right?

Also, to answer the question you specifically asked, the game should identify itself as "Ver.2" all over the place -- on the case, the manual, the disc, the game's title screen, etc. The patcher should also tell you you're attempting to use version 2 of the game when you boot it up with that.
Yeah, it’s a US copy.

The manual, disc, patcher and game itself all say Ver. 2, but the case’s spine does not. That is... worrisome.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Yeah, somebody apparently swapped the case on you, so the code on the sticker is not valid for your game. You either have to use a shared serial or buy another copy with a valid serial, unfortunately...
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Darwin777
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Darwin777 »

how is that of id A and B?
What reliable table can I use to breed mags?
HUmar anubis lv 187
HUnewearl lily lv157
HUcaseal Rico 2.0 lv 183
HUcast alucard lv 191
RAmar LEVIATAN lv 172
RAmarl calipso lv 178
RAcast CONGULATOR lv 192
RAcaseal clare lv 176
FOmar CHUCK NORRIS lv 183
Fomarl Rydia lv 176
FOnewm Gilgamesh lv 175
FOnewearl LUCY lv 176