Is there a step by step guide for connecting on Gc?

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is there a step by step guide for connecting on Gc?

Post by mrkunio »

Hello everyone, im interested in playing on the sylverant server. It seems I have everything setup right and have done everything the page says on how to connect with gamecube. My problem is the game will say connecting to dns and just sit in the lobby until it times out with an error 100.

In my settings, i dont have a secondary dns set because I didnt know where to find it. Everything else is it for default besides the primary dns which is the address they have in the how to connect section.

Is there some kind of router settings im missing? BBa is connected directly to router. I have registered with the site and registered my snak in the game. I really want to play but i cant figure it out.

Any help would be great. Thank you
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Is there a step by step guide for connecting on Gc?

Post by BlueCrab »

Error 100 is definitely a client-side issue (that's to say, it never makes the connection to the server at all)...

I assume that by using the defaults, you mean that you have it set up to use DHCP? Hopefully it's not the case, but sometimes cable modem/routers don't seem to like Sega's DHCP code...

Make sure that you have not only put in the DNS server address properly (138.197.20.130), but that you've also made sure to hit the "Manual" button right above the DNS address boxes. If you leave that as the default of Automatic, it will ignore whatever you put in the DNS server address boxes in favor of what the cable modem sends out in the DHCP configuration. You shouldn't have to fill in a secondary DNS address, but you can try putting the same thing in both boxes to see if that helps at all...
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

If that doesn't work, you can try using static IP with your GC. Look at the DHCP range on your router, and set the IP of your GC so that the first 3 digits match the numbers of the router's DHCP range, but set the last number to be outside of the range the router is using, e.g. if the router says DHCP is from 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.100, use 192.168.1.101 or 192.168.1.49 for the GC (assuming no other device on your network has the same static IP).
"Fear the HUnewearl."
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

BlueCrab wrote:Error 100 is definitely a client-side issue (that's to say, it never makes the connection to the server at all)...

I assume that by using the defaults, you mean that you have it set up to use DHCP? Hopefully it's not the case, but sometimes cable modem/routers don't seem to like Sega's DHCP code...

Make sure that you have not only put in the DNS server address properly (138.197.20.130), but that you've also made sure to hit the "Manual" button right above the DNS address boxes. If you leave that as the default of Automatic, it will ignore whatever you put in the DNS server address boxes in favor of what the cable modem sends out in the DHCP configuration. You shouldn't have to fill in a secondary DNS address, but you can try putting the same thing in both boxes to see if that helps at all...
Thanks for the reply.

I have it set to auto obtain ip [dhcp] and do not auto disconnect. On the next page is set to manual primary dns set to 138.197.20.130 and host name not set.

Then during connection it says connecting to dns, that goes away and the lobby with music pops up and stays for a while until disconnect. Im terrible at networking but im going to try and set the ip manually. I have the newest comcast router with the 10.0.0.1 range of ip if that makes a difference
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

BlueCrab wrote:Error 100 is definitely a client-side issue (that's to say, it never makes the connection to the server at all)...

Thanks for the reply.

I have it set to auto obtain ip [dhcp] and do not auto disconnect. On the next page is set to manual primary dns set to 138.197.20.130 and host name not set.

Then during connection it says connecting to dns, that goes away and the lobby with music pops up and stays for a while until disconnect. Im terrible at networking but im going to try and set the ip manually. I have the newest comcast router with the 10.0.0.1 range of ip if that makes a difference
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

Aleron Ives wrote:If that doesn't work, you can try using static IP with your GC. Look at the DHCP range on your router, and set the IP of your GC so that the first 3 digits match the numbers of the router's DHCP range, but set the last number to be outside of the range the router is using, e.g. if the router says DHCP is from 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.100, use 192.168.1.101 or 192.168.1.49 for the GC (assuming no other device on your network has the same static IP).
Thanks for your reply.

I think im going to have to go this route. I do this in the game in connection settings of manually obtain ip? Where it says ip adress that is the ip adress i assign to the gamecube? Subnet mask and gateway will stay the same? Primary dns will be that of sylverant 138.197.20.130?

Sorry for so many questions, im just terrible at networking and it shows haha. Also im on comcast with the ip being 10.0.0.1. Where do i find the range at which i can name my cube?

Again i thank you guys for your kind replys
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

After checking my router to find my dhcp ranges i set manual ip settings as followed

Ip address - 10.0.0.254 (just outside the range by 1)
Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
Default gateway - 10.0.0.1 (ipv4 gateway address)
Primary dns - 138.197.20.130 (sylverant)
Secondary dns - blank

Now with this method im getting the server under maintenance error . There is also not that normal lag that happens on that loading screen with the twinkling star that happens with auto obtain ip
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

If your router is 10.0.0.1, then you should probably give your Gamecube an IP like 10.0.0.222 (I think most Comcast routers assign IP addresses out of a fairly low range in the network). You'll want to set the netmask to 255.255.255.0 and the Gateway to 10.0.0.1 (Gateway == the router). Yes, you'll still want to make the primary DNS the Sylverant DNS server.
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

BlueCrab wrote:If your router is 10.0.0.1, then you should probably give your Gamecube an IP like 10.0.0.222 (I think most Comcast routers assign IP addresses out of a fairly low range in the network). You'll want to set the netmask to 255.255.255.0 and the Gateway to 10.0.0.1 (Gateway == the router). Yes, you'll still want to make the primary DNS the Sylverant DNS server.
Hmm i just tried that and get the same 101 error. In the router under local ipv4 connection is says;

Dhcp beginning adresss 10.0.0.2
Dhcp ending address 10.0.0.253

.222 would be inside that range but i thought you had to be outside. Also tried this time with firewall disabled
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

Do i need to enable moca connection on my router?
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

At this point im offering a handsome reward if you can take some time out of your busy day to help me connect. Pm me if we can somehow do this over the phone.

Any help would be extremely appriciated.
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

I can see on my router status that my gamecube bba is connected as online with its mac address as a moca connection but that makes no sense to me as moca is disabled.

Still cant connect
Kayak
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kayak »

I sent you a PM kunio.
Characters:
Kayak L200
Kat L200
Kate L200
Submarine L200
Magic Boat L200
Banan@ Boat
Jarrett
Katey
Tow Boat
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

*Update*

Kayak spent a lot of time helping me try to connect but there is something that is just preventing me from completing the connection. Going to try a new router to see if there are some more options that my comcast router does not provide.

Big thanks to kayak for helping me !! Hope to try again later or tomorrow and cant wait to play.
Kayak
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kayak »

mrkunio wrote:*Update*

Kayak spent a lot of time helping me try to connect but there is something that is just preventing me from completing the connection. Going to try a new router to see if there are some more options that my comcast router does not provide.

Big thanks to kayak for helping me !! Hope to try again later or tomorrow and cant wait to play.
@BlueCrab, I had him connect to my dns which was forwarding him to sylverant. He was able to make it to my dns to get forwarded, however he would just hover on the lobby. So his cube is definitely establishing some sort of his connection, but either his router or connection strength is preventing him from completing the connection.
Characters:
Kayak L200
Kat L200
Kate L200
Submarine L200
Magic Boat L200
Banan@ Boat
Jarrett
Katey
Tow Boat
Otto Baus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Otto Baus »

mrkunio wrote: I have the newest comcast router with the 10.0.0.1 range of ip if that makes a difference
I doubt it. I have been using the same Comcast router for a few years now. I blame most of my connection issues with the company (and also on who creates the room/team leader), though that's another conversation entirely...
mrkunio wrote:After checking my router to find my dhcp ranges i set manual ip settings as followed

Ip address - 10.0.0.254 (just outside the range by 1)
Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
Default gateway - 10.0.0.1 (ipv4 gateway address)
Primary dns - 138.197.20.130 (sylverant)
Secondary dns - blank
The only time I have had to set this manually as such is when tunneling via crossover cable to pc after bridging LAN and Ethernet for a connection. I have done this in the past to connect to other servers using a PLUS disc when that was the only version I owned. However, I used 10.0.0.3 for GC IP and 10.0.0.2 for both Gateway and Primary DNS because the actual DNS is connected via a program such as Mr DNS/Dr DNS. I am not cogent enough to understand whether or not this matters, but it was my first instance using the method I arrived upon which actually worked so I kept it. It still works when I (infrequently) wish to use it.

Apologies if my input is unwarranted or off-base. I have a very nebulous understanding of networking in general. Anyway, it is strange that you cannot just auto DHCP with that router.
HotteLunch - HUcast
Gaijin - RAcast
MintChip - FOnewearl
MAGz - extra bank storage character; RAmarl currently
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Kayak wrote:

@BlueCrab, I had him connect to my dns which was forwarding him to sylverant. He was able to make it to my dns to get forwarded, however he would just hover on the lobby. So his cube is definitely establishing some sort of his connection, but either his router or connection strength is preventing him from completing the connection.
That's really weird... I'm not sure what to suggest short of trying a different router... :?
Kayak
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kayak »

BlueCrab wrote:
Kayak wrote:

That's really weird... I'm not sure what to suggest short of trying a different router... :?
My experience with comcast related products/services in the past has not been favorable. Every person I've helped that's had comcast products or services has had difficulty in getting things to work. Eventually they were able to get it, but it required a lot of extra work to get it working.
Characters:
Kayak L200
Kat L200
Kate L200
Submarine L200
Magic Boat L200
Banan@ Boat
Jarrett
Katey
Tow Boat
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

*update 2*

Welp looks like im probably out of luck. I tried a new router to piggyback off of my comcast wifi modem to no avail. Still does the same thing, just hangs in the lobby with music. Im chalking ot up to comcasts router trying to locate a dns thats different than where i told it to connect to because its trying to "fix" the issue for me.

I saw a different thread where a guy using comcast said he used a software called dnsserv to connect but i cannot find a link to download it.

Also im not sure how to connect through tunneling. If anyone has some info about those two methods, id like to try them out since im ripping my hair out over this modem.

Thanks
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

https://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 5&t=102260

Abvove is the link to the thread where the op was having problems using comcast