Is there a step by step guide for connecting on Gc?

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Otto Baus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Is there a step by step guide for connecting on Gc?

Post by Otto Baus »

The way that I set it up is to plug an ethernet crossover cable into my gc and run the other end into my laptop. I do not know if a normal cat5 Ethernet cable will work. Sorry, I never tested that.

Then I open the Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel (Windows 7 here, but XP and Vista are the same to my knowledge). I then click on Change Adapter Settings, and I highlight both my Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection. After highlighting them together, I right-click and choose to Bridge Connections.

Afterwards, return to Network and Sharing Center and click the newly created Network Bridge. In the dialogue box which pops up, click Details. I now have the necessary information to Manually Configure the DCHP Settings in PSO's Network Options. However, it's a little tricky because you aren't going to use the IPv4 Default Gateway of 10.0.0.1 for the Default Gateway because you are not connecting directly. Because you are routing your connection through another device, you want to use that device as your Default Gateway. In this case, the IPv4 Address of the chosen device replaces the DHCP Server. It also replaces the DNS of the PSO Private server you wish to connect to, but I will get to that momentarily.

For the Gamecube IP Address, I just use 10.0.0.3, but any value from 3 to 254 would work I guess. It depends on whether or not any other devices are connected to your Comcast Router and what value they have been assigned. In my case, that's not an issue because nothing else is ever connected.

For the Subnet, I use 255.255.255.0 obviously. I don't claim to have any idea what this means. Total laymen here.

Now, to make all of this work, you will have to find either Dr_DNS or MR_DNS. Both are programs which allow you to put the PSO Private Server DNS into a small text file named "redirect" without the quotes. I haven't used Dr_DNS in quite some time now, and I think it only used to work for schtserv anyway. So find a recent copy of MR_DNS. The last place I found it was in the new schtserv forums. But when I tried to find the DL link for you, I found that link no longer active. So you'll have to google it I guess.

Once you have MR_DNS, enter 138.197.20.130 into a new simple text file with the redirect name, and then save it into the MR_DNS folder. Then open the program as an administrator to avoid any conflicts and choose to Play Online in PSO as normal on your GC.

That is essentially tunneling in a nutshell.

Also, now that I think about it, the same issue that mrkunio is having with Sylverant is the one I have over @ L33tserv. When I attempt to log, I connect successfully, but simply hang in limbo above the lobby waiting for a Welcome Message which never materializes. Ives calls it the chandelier or something if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, hope this helps. If you cannot find a copy of MR_DNS, shoot me a PM.
HotteLunch - HUcast
Gaijin - RAcast
MintChip - FOnewearl
MAGz - extra bank storage character; RAmarl currently
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Otto Baus wrote:Ives calls it the chandelier or something if I'm not mistaken.
That's what you see if you try to join a laggy Episode II team. ;)
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

If you're looking to try your own DNS server, I actually wrote one of those for PSO, if you want to try it out... I'm assuming your PC runs Windows here (if not, then I can give you instructions for how to build the DNS server from source)...

Grab this file and this file and put them in the same directory together. Then, run the .exe file (I think it should pop up a DOS window, but it probably won't say anything in it). Then, instead of setting your DNS server on the Gamecube to the Sylverant one, set it to the IP address of your PC.

I can't guarantee it'll do anything, but at least it's worth a shot (and shouldn't require trying to run your Gamecube's connection through your laptop or whatnot).
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

Otto Baus wrote:The way that I set it up is to plug an ethernet crossover cable into my gc and run the other end into my laptop. I do not know if a normal cat5 Ethernet cable will work. Sorry, I never tested that.

Then I open the Network and Sharing Center in the Control Panel (Windows 7 here, but XP and Vista are the same to my knowledge). I then click on Change Adapter Settings, and I highlight both my Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection. After highlighting them together, I right-click and choose to Bridge Connections.

Afterwards, return to Network and Sharing Center and click the newly created Network Bridge. In the dialogue box which pops up, click Details. I now have the necessary information to Manually Configure the DCHP Settings in PSO's Network Options. However, it's a little tricky because you aren't going to use the IPv4 Default Gateway of 10.0.0.1 for the Default Gateway because you are not connecting directly. Because you are routing your connection through another device, you want to use that device as your Default Gateway. In this case, the IPv4 Address of the chosen device replaces the DHCP Server. It also replaces the DNS of the PSO Private server you wish to connect to, but I will get to that momentarily.

For the Gamecube IP Address, I just use 10.0.0.3, but any value from 3 to 254 would work I guess. It depends on whether or not any other devices are connected to your Comcast Router and what value they have been assigned. In my case, that's not an issue because nothing else is ever connected.

For the Subnet, I use 255.255.255.0 obviously. I don't claim to have any idea what this means. Total laymen here.

Now, to make all of this work, you will have to find either Dr_DNS or MR_DNS. Both are programs which allow you to put the PSO Private Server DNS into a small text file named "redirect" without the quotes. I haven't used Dr_DNS in quite some time now, and I think it only used to work for schtserv anyway. So find a recent copy of MR_DNS. The last place I found it was in the new schtserv forums. But when I tried to find the DL link for you, I found that link no longer active. So you'll have to google it I guess.

Once you have MR_DNS, enter 138.197.20.130 into a new simple text file with the redirect name, and then save it into the MR_DNS folder. Then open the program as an administrator to avoid any conflicts and choose to Play Online in PSO as normal on your GC.

That is essentially tunneling in a nutshell.

Also, now that I think about it, the same issue that mrkunio is having with Sylverant is the one I have over @ L33tserv. When I attempt to log, I connect successfully, but simply hang in limbo above the lobby waiting for a Welcome Message which never materializes. Ives calls it the chandelier or something if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, hope this helps. If you cannot find a copy of MR_DNS, shoot me a PM.
Thanks for that! Yes the chandelier is exactly what it is. Sucks. Its like taunting me to run down to the counter. Looks like im buying a crossover cable tomorrow after work. Did you ever get to connect after?
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

BlueCrab wrote:If you're looking to try your own DNS server, I actually wrote one of those for PSO, if you want to try it out... I'm assuming your PC runs Windows here (if not, then I can give you instructions for how to build the DNS server from source)...

Grab this file and this file and put them in the same directory together. Then, run the .exe file (I think it should pop up a DOS window, but it probably won't say anything in it). Then, instead of setting your DNS server on the Gamecube to the Sylverant one, set it to the IP address of your PC.

I can't guarantee it'll do anything, but at least it's worth a shot (and shouldn't require trying to run your Gamecube's connection through your laptop or whatnot).
Thanks a lot. Gonna try this tomorrow. I still just hook up to my router right? Computer/laptop is hooked up wirelessly, is that a problem?
Otto Baus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Otto Baus »

BlueCrab wrote:If you're looking to try your own DNS server, I actually wrote one of those for PSO, if you want to try it out... I'm assuming your PC runs Windows here (if not, then I can give you instructions for how to build the DNS server from source)...

This PSO_DNS program by BlueCrab works and makes MR_DNS unnecessary for connecting to Sylverant (and maybe others, too) via GC. However, it contains the old IP Address from before the server moved sometime last year while I was away. So, you have to open the CONF file with Notepad and paste the new IP Address over the old ones and save for it to connect properly. Otherwise you get a 101/102 error (I already forgot which).

Also regarding my post above about Bridge settings: I was wrong about the DNS Gateway. It should be the same as the one listed in the Network Bridge Details: 10.0.0.1. For the DNS Server, you would still use the Network Bridge IP, which is probably 10.0.0.2, but check to be sure because I don't know what else you have connected to your Router. It has been some time since I used this setup, and I feel as though I'm forgetting something... But it worked anyway.

Lastly, I attempted to connect to L33tserv to test if this fixed my hanging upon login, but I suspect the server was down because I couldn't connect no matter what I tried. Oh well.

EDIT: HAHA! I just remembered what I forgot to mention! Using MR_DNS or even when trying to connect to something like PSOserver/khyller, you ideally don't want to start the program early and have it waiting for the GC connection for too long. In my experience, it seems to go 'stale' for lack of a better term and has less likelihood of performing as intended if even connects at all if you let it hang too long without GC pinging (?) it. I don't know if this also applies to PSO_DNS, as I only just began to use it, but just a heads up anyway.
HotteLunch - HUcast
Gaijin - RAcast
MintChip - FOnewearl
MAGz - extra bank storage character; RAmarl currently
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

Otto Baus wrote:

This PSO_DNS program by BlueCrab works and makes MR_DNS unnecessary for connecting to Sylverant (and maybe others, too) via GC. However, it contains the old IP Address from before the server moved sometime last year while I was away. So, you have to open the CONF file with Notepad and paste the new IP Address over the old ones and save for it to connect properly. Otherwise you get a 101/102 error (I already forgot which).

Also regarding my post above about Bridge settings: I was wrong about the DNS Gateway. It should be the same as the one listed in the Network Bridge Details: 10.0.0.1. For the DNS Server, you would still use the Network Bridge IP, which is probably 10.0.0.2, but check to be sure because I don't know what else you have connected to your Router. It has been some time since I used this setup, and I feel as though I'm forgetting something... But it worked anyway.

Lastly, I attempted to connect to L33tserv to test if this fixed my hanging upon login, but I suspect the server was down because I couldn't connect no matter what I tried. Oh well.

EDIT: HAHA! I just remembered what I forgot to mention! Using MR_DNS or even when trying to connect to something like PSOserver/khyller, you ideally don't want to start the program early and have it waiting for the GC connection for too long. In my experience, it seems to go 'stale' for lack of a better term and has less likelihood of performing as intended if even connects at all if you let it hang too long without GC pinging (?) it. I don't know if this also applies to PSO_DNS, as I only just began to use it, but just a heads up anyway.
Thanks! :grin: Im searching for mr_dns or a dr_dns but the guys website is offline and there are no files available anywhere! Let me know if you can post or send me the file and I will try it. I will try bluecrab's method later when i get time to lug everything back down to the router. I bought a crossover cable today to try and tunnel but i need those dns programs or something equivalent. I appriciate all of your guys effort in helping me, you guys are awesome. Im gonna keep trying though! Hopefully i make a breakthrough
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

*New update* (Still hanging in the lobby after tunneling)

Seems like i have everything hooked up right. Gamecube - PC with crossover - bridged with wireless connection. Used the PSO_DNS file and the MR_DNS file to get the same results of hanging above the lobby. Gamecube settings are manually set to static IP of gamecube and dns of my pc running one of the two programs with its conf file with sylverants IP. and the gateway is the wireless ip of 10.0.0.1 .The programs respond to my connection when connecting. MR_DNS even closes when pso connects.

Even when using Mr_dns, it says it has found the host - accepting dns query. When PSO connects, I can see a message pup up in the prompt that says something and lists my gamecubes static ip but it closes so fast i cant read it.

Any other tests I cant do? Port forwarding, triggering, DMZ settings? This is madness! :twisted:
Kayak
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kayak »

I know MR. DNS and DR. DNS use both Port 53 (UDP) So if you haven't opened that already, then that may be worth a try. For me, when I run MR DNS (because I hate DR. DNS), it never closes after I or someone else connects through it. I think you should consider contacting your ISP to see if they can help you. I would also consider turning off your AV or Firewall while using MR. DNS to see if that will help you.
Characters:
Kayak L200
Kat L200
Kate L200
Submarine L200
Magic Boat L200
Banan@ Boat
Jarrett
Katey
Tow Boat
mrkunio
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by mrkunio »

Kayak wrote:I know MR. DNS and DR. DNS use both Port 53 (UDP) So if you haven't opened that already, then that may be worth a try. For me, when I run MR DNS (because I hate DR. DNS), it never closes after I or someone else connects through it. I think you should consider contacting your ISP to see if they can help you. I would also consider turning off your AV or Firewall while using MR. DNS to see if that will help you.
I have 53 forwarded in my router but not sure how to forward it in my firewall. Gonna have to do some research unless turning it off solves that?

What is AV?

Ran a test with khyller and it shows communication between gamecube and pc but redirects me through 9001 and says something about multiple versions.
Kayak
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kayak »

AV= Anti-Virus program

I wasn't referring to your firewall for the port, maybe just turning it off while you run MR. DNS. It is most likely your ISP tbh.
Characters:
Kayak L200
Kat L200
Kate L200
Submarine L200
Magic Boat L200
Banan@ Boat
Jarrett
Katey
Tow Boat