Question No. 2475 about Serial Numbers

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

al281442
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Question No. 2475 about Serial Numbers

Post by al281442 »

I'm pretty sure that this has been asked before somewhere and sometime. I'm afraid Google just didn't get me there.

For a few weeks I've been playing GC PSO (which is still rather new to me) on Sylverant every now and then. It's a delighting experience to play with random people so long after this game was said to be dead by many people in many occasions.

I also want to get my Dreamcast back online to be a little more flexible and able to use my well developed characters.
Due to a personal odyssey I've been going through the last few years it might be possible that my copy of PSO v2 is lost. The Dreamcast I used the characters on is still there.

Would it possible to buy a new copy of PSO and use my old serials (which I think should pop up when going online or creating a new chracter) with it?
I remember connecting to schtserv with Ive's version of PSO with a backup of one of my characters which caused no problem at all. This makes me hopeful but I'm not entirely convinced that this is comparable.

I trust you have a quick answer to this.
AmonX
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: Question No. 2475 about Serial Numbers

Post by AmonX »

you could log in and access your serial and access number in your sylverant account I find that is easier than me hunting for the text file I saved them in :) but yes
al281442
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by al281442 »

I didn't even know Sylverant existed the last time I played PSO on the Dreamcast.
AmonX
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by AmonX »

Oh sorry :) yeah if you create a new character and try and go online they should pop up again. Just copy them down exactly and register them here :)
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Yes, it works as long you use a serial that works for both the game version and char you are going to use.

If it works only for the game version, the char will be locked in the vmu, presenting itself as "corrupted" in the US game version.
If it works only for the char then it will lock the game and ask you to input the serial again and again until it matches.

Assuming you had a PAL PSO v2 (for example) then just find another PAL PSO v2 game and you should be good to go.

Note: this only applies when using a new dreamcast that requires a flash reset, that action asks you to reinput the serials, creating a problem if the region doesn't match, other than that you should be good to go when using different regions, going online however will ask for the serials once and those must match.
Last edited by K_I_R_E_E_K on Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

If you want to register your serial number on the Dreamcast version with your account, but don't know what it is, I can facilitate that. You just have to get online once with your Dreamcast character, then send me a Private Message here on the forum with your username on Sylverant (that you registered on the website with), your email address, and the guildcard number you got when you went online. I'll be able to handle the rest from there for you (and once it's on your account, you'll be able to read your serial number/access key from the website, so if you want to write it down, you can do so). :)

As has already been said, you just have to use a copy of the same version of the game to get online with, and then everything I said applies. :wink:
al281442
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by al281442 »

I already ordered a copy. Seems like there's absolutely nothing left to worry about.

Everyone should be using Sylverant and I hope to make a few old players do so.
It took me a few hundred kilometres of travelling but i could locate a lost old friend and he's preparing to get online with the Gamecube.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

To be clear, it's possible to use any region disc to play existing characters. You only run into trouble if you try to go online with a new character with a disc that doesn't match the region of your serials, as the game will ask you to verify your serial number over and over, since it will refuse serials from other regions. The game doesn't ask for your serial anymore after you've been online at least once, so at that point any disc will work with that character.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
al281442
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by al281442 »

I'm currently not in need of new characters. Still for me it's reason enough for getting another disk. They're not that expensive anymore.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

The only downside to BlueCrab's loader is that prices have risen a little since he released it. USv2 was dirt cheap at $5 when it was a coaster that couldn't go online, but it's $10 - $15 now that it can go online again. :P EUv2 has always been a bit more expensive, since it was the only disc that could go online for several years.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Aleron Ives wrote:The only downside to BlueCrab's loader is that prices have risen a little since he released it. USv2 was dirt cheap at $5 when it was a coaster that couldn't go online, but it's $10 - $15 now that it can go online again. :P EUv2 has always been a bit more expensive, since it was the only disc that could go online for several years.
It did lower the price of the European one a bit though. :wink:
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Forgot to say that the changed region disk won't work if the memory in the dreamcast is erased (it isn't the case here), indeed changing the region disk shouldn't create a problem and will only when going online for the 1st time or when going offline with a new dc (since that mostly requires a flash reset, creating the problem i mentioned), afterall my char is originally a US PSO v2 char that required a PAL PSO v2 to go online, afterwards my char became a PAL PSO v2 char and only accepts the serial in the PAL case.

I take the opportunity to ask, does sylverant have that ability? to change the serial and region of a save without damaging it in anyway?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

K_I_R_E_E_K wrote:I take the opportunity to ask, does sylverant have that ability? to change the serial and region of a save without damaging it in anyway?
I can facilitate changing the serial number on a character using the /save and /restore functionality on the server. Of course, this has all the downsides of that method (like the fact that it doesn't save your bank items and such), but it does at least transfer the whole character and regular inventory.

All regions use the same format for character data, so it doesn't matter if it is changing region. Heck, all versions of the game use pretty much the same format for the base of the character data -- they just add things on at the end for later versions of the game. :wink:
al281442
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by al281442 »

I got my new V2 and I'm able to connect.
However I was not able to find out my Access Keys. My old V1 serial was still stored when I tried going online with a newly created character but the game wouldn't show me the V1 access key.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

You need to go online with a new character on V1 to get the game to show you the serial number and access key for it.
al281442
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by al281442 »

I should be able to relocate my V1 sometime.

But for now at least I can register. Thanks for that!

EDIT: Not quite yet, it seems. When trying to register V2 with the data you gave me I'm getting this:
There was an error registring your Dreamcast serial number and access key. Please try again. If you continue to receive this error, the serial number and access key pair may already be registered. If you believe this is in error, please contact the administrators of the server.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

If you went online with it (which I assume by your Private Message you did), then yes, that message will pop up. I'll associate the guildcard you mentioned earlier in your PM with your account, then it should all be good to go.
al281442
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by al281442 »

Well... I had to do it like you had mentioned a few posts earlier as I didn't get past the V1 acces key entry.

Thanks again.