PSO Questions & Answers

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: PSO Questions & Answers

Post by Aleron Ives »

Treamcaster wrote: Is it possible to patch the game to stack grinders and materials?
Yes, but no. You'd completely desync with unpatched clients who expect using a Monogrinder to free a slot in your inventory. Who knows how they would react to you having "more" than 30 inventory slots, but mismatched item lists (you drop a Saber, I see a Knight/Power) are the best case scenario, with FSOD being the worst. Also, since V2 doesn't have x99 item stacks, having Mongrinder x10 would be more of a nerf than a buff, so it isn't a practical idea on that platform, anyway, unless you also introduce the concept of item x99.

You can only make such fundamental changes when you can force everybody to use the patch whether they want it or not, i.e. on BB only.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Treamcaster »

Ok, thank you for the explanation.
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

Yesterday I was playing battle mode on PSO PC against a PSO V2 player and we selected Mission 1 if I'm not mistaken, the one you start with your current level on VR Spaceship. There were invincible Delsabers walking around from room to room killing us. This must be a bug right?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Delsabers are able to leave the room they spawn in when you play Battle 1, and the quest forces them to always have high stats, so they will 1HKO you if you're playing the rule on characters < level 100. The rule is working as intended. Rules 2, 3, and 6 are the most fair since they reset everybody's level and equipment, so they're by far the most popular rules.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
episguardian
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by episguardian »

For playing Sylverant on PSO Episode 1 & 2 + on Wii/Gamecube via Devolution, are the item drop rates the same as the original? I found a drop chart on PSO Palace (http://psopalace.sylverant.net/doomchart.html), but I was unsure what the drops and drop rates are for PSO+GC players.

Also, are the download quests (The Ends of Desire, Twisted Towers, Hero & Daughter) compatible for offline play on the PSO+GC?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Drop rates are determined by the client unless you enable server-side drops (by way of a special command you have to run before creating the team). However, it is currently not possible to enable server-side drops on PSOGC due to a bug in the Sylverant code.

So, all the drops in PSOGC are completely normal.

Any downloadable quests that you see when you log on with PSOGC should work just fine, otherwise they wouldn't be there. ;-)
solitario01
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by solitario01 »

I have the GD-emu and I need the Hexa code of the sylverante to apply the patch in the gdi to connect to the server but in the page of how to connect does not have the codes Hexa someone could make the codes for phantasy star online Ver 2 Us please
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You cannot patch a GDI of USv2 to connect online, because the game binary is compressed. If you can't get BlueCrab's boot disc to work with GDEMU, then you have to use a GDI of EUv2 or a CDI of USv2.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
solitario01
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by solitario01 »

Aleron Ives wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:55 pm You cannot patch a GDI of USv2 to connect online, because the game binary is compressed. If you can't get BlueCrab's boot disc to work with GDEMU, then you have to use a GDI of EUv2 or a CDI of USv2.
tks ^^
Laephis
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Laephis »

Is there a "New player/Getting Started" guide someone could point me to? I've had PSO sitting on my shelf for a long, long time, but was too busy playing UO back in the day to get involved with it much. I've recently set up a DreamPi and would like to give this a shot. I have a soft spot in my heart for long-running private servers.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I'm not sure that I know of a really good getting started guide, but there's a good amount of information on the PSO Palace website that is quite useful for getting started. Here's a couple of quick links to useful things there:
Character Classes
Enemies
Laephis
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Laephis »

BlueCrab wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:28 pm I'm not sure that I know of a really good getting started guide, but there's a good amount of information on the PSO Palace website that is quite useful for getting started. Here's a couple of quick links to useful things there:
Character Classes
Enemies
Thanks, that gives me a starting point and I'll poke around the psopalace website a bit. I also found some old Gamefaqs docs that have some useful info.

Is it generally best to start in "offline" mode and play a bit there before playing online? Will there be much for a low-level newb to do online?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Laephis wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:41 pm
BlueCrab wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:28 pm I'm not sure that I know of a really good getting started guide, but there's a good amount of information on the PSO Palace website that is quite useful for getting started. Here's a couple of quick links to useful things there:
Character Classes
Enemies
Thanks, that gives me a starting point and I'll poke around the psopalace website a bit. I also found some old Gamefaqs docs that have some useful info.

Is it generally best to start in "offline" mode and play a bit there before playing online? Will there be much for a low-level newb to do online?
I'd probably try to clear at least forest (and maybe cave) offline before going online to play, as teams you create online will only have the levels unlocked that you have unlocked offline (this doesn't affect teams you join, only ones you create). That said, you'll likely find plenty of people who are willing to help you out online as a newbie, even if you do go online without having really played much at all.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Playing the offline quests "Magnitude of Metal" and "Battle Training" will give you some very basic tips on how to play if you read the NPC dialogue. The Sylverant Discord is a good place to get questions answered before you play, but you can also ask questions in game of other players. The most important thing is to buy a keyboard before you go online so you can communicate! You will enjoy PSO much more if you can talk at a normal speed.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
atombone
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by atombone »

Please excuse me if this is "beating a dead horse" or if this is the incorrect thread but; Is the gamecube version of PSO playable via Devolution (Wii) on the Sylverant server? I've read the controversies between BlueCrab and tueidj and am a little confused at the compatibility with these software(s). Thanks in advance :grin:
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

atombone wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:36 pm Please excuse me if this is "beating a dead horse" or if this is the incorrect thread but; Is the gamecube version of PSO playable via Devolution (Wii) on the Sylverant server? I've read the controversies between BlueCrab and tueidj and am a little confused at the compatibility with these software(s). Thanks in advance :grin:
It is usable, just quite possibly not in the way that it was documented in Devolution's documentation. See this post from the Sylverant website for the settings you will need to make it work.
atombone
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by atombone »

Thanks BlueCrab! Followup questions: Where do I find a current player base for the GC version? What ship is most popular (or is PSOGC locked to a specific ship) and how do i know who is playing the GC version as PC/DC players can't intermingle. Again, if theres a more appropriate thread to find my answers, please direct me. I'm simply curious to know if i will be alone most of the time on the GC ships or if theres a knit of folks playing GC. Thanks again!
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

V2 players have orange names, while GC player names are white. You can find GC players on Iselia and Altimira, but our population is pretty small, since GC players are split across multiple servers. (The DC population is bigger, because all DC players use Sylverant.) What time zone are you in? Most of us play in the evenings US time, which means Europeans have to stay up really late.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
atombone
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by atombone »

Thanks for some clarification Ives. I’m in EST. I occasionally play with some you with v2. Played with you (Ives) when you were with schtserv back in the day. I’ve just always wanted to explore episode 2 as is the reason I’m interested in GC. There’s a bit of a cost wall to tackle before entering properly and wanted as much info before just jumping in head first.
nytesong
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by nytesong »

Hi all,
Its been a while since i played Ep. 1 And 2 (on dolphin) on my desktop I built for it.. but I suddenly wanted to play again! I was was wondering if anybody could help or point me in the right direction.

What happened is, my controllers aren't working properly. As a result i absolutely cannot load into multiplayer mode to share items. I can somehow get into single player mode with the keyboard tho..
Spoiler!
Note that the controller works properly when i get into single mode, and also note i use the wii u adapter and it's "detected"..
and thats fine! But if i don't fix this my chatacters cannot share items at all and thats not how I do things.

My apologies if this is for sylverant related problems only. But seeing as you can use it to co-op here i was hoping for help. Thanks!