Doom for Dreamcast v1.1.6

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Doom for Dreamcast v1.1.6

Post by Chilly Willy »

Doom for Dreamcast v1.1.6. This has all the goodies - mouse, keyboard, and joypad controls, force-feedback (Jump Pack), stats on the VMU LCD, load/save options and games from/to VMU, allows up to four DEH and patch WAD files (Doom patches, not Boom), NTSC, PAL, and VGA support, music, and stereo sound effects. It has networking, but that's one thing I haven't been able to test yet. So give it a try! Old School Dooming at it's finest. :twisted:

DCDoom-SW-CW-1.1.6.zip
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: Doom for Dreamcast v1.1.6

Post by Nico0020 »

Nice, i'll be trying out this one. Jump pack support sounds nice. Networking? You think you can get anything working with it?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Nico0020 wrote:Nice, i'll be trying out this one. Jump pack support sounds nice. Networking? You think you can get anything working with it?
I really need to setup a DC-to-PC connection to test networking on the DC. Without that, all I can do is hope the code works... that's no way to work on code. :|

I've been keeping an eye out for a DC BBA, since that would be the best way to get networked, but so far, every one I've come across is being auctioned with a starting point of $200+, and there's no way I'm spending that kind of money on a BBA.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Yea you just have to keep a good eye out for them. One of my friends recently picked up a USA boxed BBA off ebay for about 95 bucks shipped off ebay. It even still had the gamestop sticker on it lol. They pop up pretty often at more reasonable prices, you just have to always be on the lookout.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Chilly Willy wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:Nice, i'll be trying out this one. Jump pack support sounds nice. Networking? You think you can get anything working with it?
I really need to setup a DC-to-PC connection to test networking on the DC. Without that, all I can do is hope the code works... that's no way to work on code. :|

I've been keeping an eye out for a DC BBA, since that would be the best way to get networked, but so far, every one I've come across is being auctioned with a starting point of $200+, and there's no way I'm spending that kind of money on a BBA.
None of the network stacks in KOS (lwIP or the one I wrote) support PPP, so the only way to work with networking is a BBA or LAN Adapter, unless you put in a working PPP stack...
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

BlueCrab wrote:
Chilly Willy wrote:

None of the network stacks in KOS (lwIP or the one I wrote) support PPP, so the only way to work with networking is a BBA or LAN Adapter, unless you put in a working PPP stack...
Thanks for the info... I'd have probably been pulling my hair out over that. :grin:
Maturion
Been thanked: 0

Post by Maturion »

Oh well, yet another time I have to thank you for all your efforts! Really, keep up the good work!
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I have downloaded this and will burn it tonight, among a few other things. Has anyone with a BBA tried messing with the network play? I have a BBA and a friend with one, so we will try a LAN game sometime maybe this weekend. I read the readme that came with it, so i think i should be able to figure it out. Though will this ever allow for online play with other users or just local?
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

I just won a BBA on eBay, so sometime next week I'll actually be able to test networking myself. :D

You should be able to play anyone in the world, as long as you have their IP address. If you have more than one computer on the same IP address (I've got like six or seven here), use the port setting and forward the port to the proper computer. Local systems don't need to worry about that - just use the local IP address.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Nice, how much did you win it for? I've always loved playing doom over network, chaotic as all hell! Here is hoping I can get it working this weekend with one of my friends.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

About $164 with shipping. Expensive, but the last three I've see all went for almost $250. The last "Buy It Now" BBA on eBay was $250 even, matching the only two stores I've ever found carrying the BBA. These things are seriously rare and expensive. I set my top bid at $160 (not counting shipping) and fully expected to lose. Hell, the last DC link cable I saw (and bid on as well) went for about $70 - for a plain serial cable! :o
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

when play asia has them in stock, rarely, they go for 150 bucks used. They had some over the summer I remember.

BTW if you are looking for the link cable (vs cable right?) I know where you can get the official one for under 40 bucks shipped. The price for the cable itself is low, its just the shipping that is a bit expensive. I bought one not too long ago. Just PM if you are interested.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Split screen 2 or 4 players?
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

BILAL_XIA wrote:Split screen 2 or 4 players?
That's not part of Doom. Some conversions do allow you to run multiple instances of the game on the same computer, but that requires even more memory and CPU power... memory and CPU power the DC doesn't have. Split screen multi-player is pretty rare, especially for FPS games.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yeah when I asked the question I forgot it was a DOS port or something along those lines.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Well, a quick look around shows Doom Legacy has split screen, and the XBox Live version has it. Someone also worked on a mod to Chocolate Doom, but gave up on it.

So it looks like Doom Legacy might be the version to work on for multi-player without networking. I'll have to look it over.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Well with BBA in your hands now. Let me know if you try testing the network play and how it works out.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

It doesn't work... I'm looking into the BBA usage right now. Once I get that worked out, I'll post an update that also fixes the 50 Hz OSK problem.