Dreamcast SD adapter by EmuForge

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Dreamcast SD adapter by EmuForge

Post by cube_b3 »

Exactly what program we will boot, that you are so afraid off?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by OneThirty8 »

BILAL_XIA wrote:Exactly what program we will boot, that you are so afraid off?
I think that you misunderstood what I was saying. I think it would be cool to be able to use an SD card in this manner. I just meant that even though Quzar is correct in saying that the Dreamcast won't boot from the SD card, some sort of a loader (something similar to DemoMenu or DCHakker) should let us get around this limitation.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

OneThirty8 wrote:
BILAL_XIA wrote:
from writing a loader with a filebrowser to allow people to then execute a program from the card once the Dreamcast has booted from CD?
What exactly do you want to prevent them from loading & why?
Quzar stated that the Dreamcast will not suddenly gain the capability to boot from media connected to the serial port. This is true, but I don't see why this would keep us from loading a program from the SD card once the machine boots up. Somebody could write a program that would allow this, just like people can currently write programs to load a program from the CD into memory and then execute it.
What I meant was that I've heard comments along the lines of "great! I havn't used my DC since the CD drive broke, this'll revive my DC" or people wondering if they'll be able to put all 7 shenmue discs onto it and have them get recognized (so that I don't have to take them out of the box to play...). People think this will be like the PSP's MS or the Xbox' hard drive.

Of course there will be a loader like demomenu/dcload. That was my point (in fact jj10dm already released one), that a CD will still be required. It's not going to be a new ip.bin on the SD card or anything =P
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Quzar wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:
BILAL_XIA wrote:
from writing a loader with a filebrowser to allow people to then execute a program from the card once the Dreamcast has booted from CD?
What exactly do you want to prevent them from loading & why?
Quzar stated that the Dreamcast will not suddenly gain the capability to boot from media connected to the serial port. This is true, but I don't see why this would keep us from loading a program from the SD card once the machine boots up. Somebody could write a program that would allow this, just like people can currently write programs to load a program from the CD into memory and then execute it.
What I meant was that I've heard comments along the lines of "great! I havn't used my DC since the CD drive broke, this'll revive my DC" or people wondering if they'll be able to put all 7 shenmue discs onto it and have them get recognized (so that I don't have to take them out of the box to play...). People think this will be like the PSP's MS or the Xbox' hard drive.

Of course there will be a loader like demomenu/dcload. That was my point (in fact jj10dm already released one), that a CD will still be required. It's not going to be a new ip.bin on the SD card or anything =P
Exactly. The question that BILAL_XIA asked was about a boot cd, which is why I made my original comment.
BongDC
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by BongDC »

This is cool. Any ideas on when this will be ready? Also will it be able to boot homebrew code, cause that would be a dream come true if i didn't have to buy Coder Cables.

Sincerely,

BongDC
alex81
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by alex81 »

For add support this adapter to DreamShell need source/lib.

Can somebody upload them?
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

alex81 wrote:For add support this adapter to DreamShell need source/lib.

Can somebody upload them?

Try to PM fox68k, neoblast, or =FamilyGuy=- as they were involved in the development.
Insane homebrew collector.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

So, whatever happened to this ?
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

My best bet it probably went with the GP32X2DC Cable, Bleem Pod, Dreamcast Zip Drive, VMP3Watch.

A promising idea that never came to fruition :cry:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:So, whatever happened to this ?
There was no source for the connectors. That was the last news afaik. The whole thing was planned out and hyped too fast. Everyone involved got ahead of themselves before the details were worked out.

The only way this would work would be to get them manufactured from scratch, it was never sustainable as a 'we're going to tear apart existing cables' plan.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Guaripolo
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Guaripolo »

i got one, it's easy to build cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

This is where it all started right?

So was the SD Card adapter invented in China or Spain?

It is based on "JJ1odm's work" the link takes me to a chinese website.
But it is a redirection, rather then where it was originally supposed to lead.
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

It is based on "JJ1odm's work" the link takes me to a chinese website.
But it is a redirection, rather then where it was originally supposed to lead.
His new web is http://jj1odm.qp.land.to/
I think he is original creator of sd interface, correct me if i am wrong.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I believe that you are correct that he is the first one to have created an SD adapter over the Dreamcast's serial port (or at least he was the first one to publicly release it as far as I know). That would mean that (to answer cube_b3's question) it originated in Japan.
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

BlueCrab wrote:I believe that you are correct that he is the first one to have created an SD adapter over the Dreamcast's serial port (or at least he was the first one to publicly release it as far as I know). That would mean that (to answer cube_b3's question) it originated in Japan.
The story on it is as follows:

The original creator of the sd interface IS jjd01m yes, we never denied that nor hid it. It was mentioned in the news article, forum and more on our site. But for the very first year and a half ( I think this was around 2007/08 ) he just wouldn't release anything about it. Over time Familyguy and me convinced him to share more of it ( schematics and after more time some source code and a basic driver) for the benefit of the dreamcast scene.

Then I tried contacting some manufacturers that would make the cable but they were too expensive considering there was a custom connector and it would have to be ordered in really big quantities, budget wise it was not affordable for any of us.

Then I sent the data, source and schematics to fox and chui, and after some time fox had someone make him a professional built cable, that's the one you see in the pictures.

He made a kos lib based on early jjd01m's source in order to use it more easily.
A few months later we added the sd to the kos virtual file system so using it was as easy as "/sd" on emuforge's kos repo.We then tried to manufacture them but there was a serious shortage of dc serial end connectors rendering the device without any possible way to get to the "masses" until that chinese guy saw some good profit on that and started making and selling them (whoever you are thank you for that!)
In between some of those steps I tried promoting it a little so dreamcast coders knew more about it and were able to use it. I even sent everything needed to use it easily to redspot on request so they could add sd support if they wanted to to their games. Don't know if sturmwind will be able to have it, they were trying but news on that game are scarce these days...
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

Don't know if sturmwind will be able to have it
The game already has sd card support for saving screenshots.
Neoblast, are you still interested in mass production of sd adapters ?
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

Basil wrote:
Don't know if sturmwind will be able to have it
The game already has sd card support for saving screenshots.
Neoblast, are you still interested in mass production of sd adapters ?
Oh great, then they made use of it :) Even though I was expecting some more along the lines of the possibility of dlc levels through sd card.

I am interested but i have no money.

Is the chinese guy still selling them on ebay? If he is I'd say there is no need.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The GOAT Store has started carrying SD card adapters:

http://www.goatstore.com/News/62/Dreamc ... o_Use_Them
Dreamcast Development Tools In Stock... Want to Use Them?
October 1, 2012

Today, the GOAT Store, LLC added some Dreamcast SD Card Adapters so that you can try your hand at developing for the console, or if you just want an easy way to check out homebrew games, you'll want to nab an SD reader to make doing these things a breeze!

If that isn't enough, on the GOAT Store Publishing site at http://www.goatstorepublishing.com we just announced that we're up to something... and you might be able to use these SD adapters if you want to help! We have a team working on a new project that is looking for a few good men or women to join their team to help develop whatever sort of adventuresome game they are working on.

The project is a Dreamcast project, and the positions we are looking for are as follows: a level designer, a texture artist, and a C coder.

For more details about this, please visit GOAT Store Publishing and contact us! If you're just interested in the SD Adapters, check the GOAT Store Dreamcast New Developments section! Hurry, these are hard to keep in stock!