Open Transport Tycoon ported to Dreamcast !

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
Christuserloeser
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Open Transport Tycoon ported to Dreamcast !

Post by Christuserloeser »

New forum member stevenh ported Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe, an open source clone of Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon Deluxe from 1995, to Dreamcast:
So, after a few grueling weeks of screwing around with the KOS libraries (KallistOS) I managed to compile and run the latest revision of OTTD.
It's been more of an educational experience than anything else and runs like crap [at around 70% speed] (the 200mhz SH4 CPU seems to struggle) but it's been a lot of fun...
I have CD images in DiscJuggler format (self-booting) of the latest version but due to dependencies that don't exist off-the-shelf I don't think this should ever be included in the trunk... I mean, does anyone still have DC with Mouse and Keyboard?
... on that note, the controller can be used... but it's not as much fun.

You can download the CDI here: http://www.otenko.com/dreamcast/OPENTTD-DC.cdi

Links:
Insane homebrew collector.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0

Re: Open Transport Tycoon ported to Dreamcast !

Post by Nico0020 »

the learning experience is what is important, so dont get discouraged about slow speeds. Thanks for the port.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Still working on it, it seems:
stevenh wrote:Update (as of 3rd December..)
Rubidium has been doing some more great work ... a lot more solid than my hacking around... we've added a lot of support to the OpenTTD codebase to interact with the KOS build tools to the point where the command-line arguments are minimal and compiling is a much happier task.
With the kos_v2.diff patch seen here and this command-line:
$ LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS romdisk.o" ./configure --os=KOS --cc-host="kos-cc" --cxx-host="kos-c++" --with-sdl --with-png --endian=LE --personal-dir="/rd" --install-dir="/rd"
You'll nearly get a working version... apart from the romdisk which you'll also need... so this update is pointless until I sort that out :D
Stay tuned...
Insane homebrew collector.
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

Pretty sweet work, stevenh. I'd love to see this running at full speed.
stevenh
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by stevenh »

How completely random... 8-)

I was just digging through my blog and saw that there were quite a few references from dreamcast.es... So I went to the site and saw the post of my efforts... then saw this link and realised I'd gained coverage everywhere!? :)

The original CDI is on my site... but I can't get it to run in nullDC, DEmul or Marakon... but the anonymous comment poster tells me it runs in Marakon on his Linux/Mac? machine and also lxDream.

Either way, the attempts to re-port it gained some momentum... but I'm at a point where Rubidium on tt-forums said it worked but I can't get anything going locally... as you can see from the screenshot above I used to use DEmul, but that wont work anymore...

If people could post success stories (and then tips on what bios/flash/emus they used) it'd be greatly appreciated :D