Elysian Shadows Kickstarter Live NOW!

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Elysian Shadows Kickstarter Live NOW!

Post by GyroVorbis » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:39 pm

WHOOOOOOOO!!!!! WE DUN GOOD, GUYS!!!!
Ayla wrote:I was getting worried some days ago as it was going really slow. But it looks like it's going to make it very soon :)
Honestly, so were we. It started slowing down hardcore, and I literally couldn't sleep at night, because I was living through the agony of a failed Kickstarter...

This has seriously been a dream of ours years in the making. Not sure who all new, but two of us quit our jobs, withdrew our 401k, and literally put our entire financial stability on the line just for this project. There was no plan B. Foolish? Sure. But we are passionate, and it totally paid off for us.

Really, I want to personally thank all of you. Somehow of $150k, the vast majority of the purchases still came from the Sega freaking Dreamcast, in 2014... Our project is well-known in the YouTube gaming community, which is predominantly PC, so I never in a million years would have anticipated such a gigantic push from this scene... Maybe the forums aren't as active as they used to be, but the Dreamcast is absolutely still thinking, and I seriously feel like this scene is starting to pick up quite a bit of momentum with the latest round of projects. We're introducing gamers and press to the Dreamcast scene for the very first time, and it's something exciting to be a part of.

We really hope that us releasing ESTk to the community will also encourage other developers to take a look at the Dreamcast as a development platform.

Anyway, thank you all so much. It's still totally surreal to us right now. We have a bajillion Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Steam, and KS comments we're trying to respond to, and hopefully we will wind up getting some big press coverage when gaming journalists return to work on Monday... We can no longer respond to everyone's messages and posts individually, because there are just too many of you... But I will always try to remain here on these boards, because this is literally where my entire career and Elysian Shadows began. All because BlackAura took the time to answer the questions of an aspiring 14 year-old game developer a decade ago... STAY GOLDEN, DCEMULATION! :D

edit: Also, we totally made it on the local news for our Kickstarter. The news anchor almost shit himself when he heard we were targeting the Dreamcast. LOL!
http://whnt.com/2014/08/20/two-madison- ... eir-dream/
Elysian Shadows - "Next-Gen" 2D/3D RPG coming to Sega Dreamcast, Steam, OUYA, and Smartphones
http://www.elysianshadows.com
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Glad to see this did so well. I got the Amazon Payments email (indicating that my pledge had been deducted) as I was packing up to leave PAX.

I am curious about a couple of things, though:

1. I know there have been some donations outside what Kickstarter counts--namely, PayPal and Bitcoin. Were these enough to hit the second stretch goal?

2. The release of the toolkit seems to have generated almost as much buzz (in certain circles, at least) as the game itself. Any word on what the licensing for this will look like? Will other developers be free to use it for games they intend to market, or is it free for noncommercial use only?
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:38 pm

1. Not just yet. I think outside of Kickstarter, we've acquired something like $5k, but as time goes on, and especially as we attend conventions promoting ES, it looks like this number should steadily rise.

2. It's going to be free for noncommercial use, then we are going to have to ask for a very modest percentage for commercial use. Not because we're evil, but because this is an insanely complex piece of software that will undoubtedly need bugfixes, new features, and maintenance that we will have to do for you guys.

Thanks so much for backing us, dude!
Elysian Shadows - "Next-Gen" 2D/3D RPG coming to Sega Dreamcast, Steam, OUYA, and Smartphones
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 am

The last update about Elysian Shadows development seems to be this Facebook post from February. After that, I couldn't find any posts with news about the progress of Elysian Shadows itself.

At the end of August, the artist got a job in a VR company. His last post about Elysian Shadows was in June 12.

The feeling I've got is that this project was a sad ride. Such rides can really drain the motivation of a developer, to the point where the only way to get motivated is to get out of the ride and forget about it; I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm speaking from experience - because that happened to me 11 years ago.

What puzzles me is that I never got to know how far this game (not the tech) actually got. Things such as the percentage of enemies, items, quests, cities, dungeons and NPCs - the things that makes the game actually playable, even if unpolished. I remember watching hours of videos about the tech of the game, with only a few disconnected gameplay elements that doesn't constitute an actual gameplay experience. I've saw the team experimenting, but not experiencing. Is there any single area in the game that's completely playable, even if it's just a city with NPCs and items? Would be nice to see a video of it being played without discussing the tech.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:01 pm

I know, I know, I'm in no position whatsoever to give reassurance or anything, but you're making a lot of assumptions in your previous post that I just want to clarify.
mankrip wrote:At the end of August, the artist got a job in a VR company. His last post about Elysian Shadows was in June 12.
Yep, and I'm happy for him. We were all living full-time on ES kickstarter money, and when that started running low, Patrick's life has been an endless shitshow of having to take odd jobs here and there and being so anxious about his expenses that he couldn't really dedicate much time to ES. There's nothing to hide. We do not have the money to do ES full-time anymore, and we have had to move on to other permanent/temporary employment to secure the financial stability and means to complete ES.

This is actually much better for the project. He isn't freaking out about paying rent every month. Not to mention, we have been in talks about licensing our engine to them for their own products which would help secure additional funding for ES itself.
madkip wrote:The feeling I've got is that this project was a sad ride. Such rides can really drain the motivation of a developer, to the point where the only way to get motivated is to get out of the ride and forget about it; I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm speaking from experience - because that happened to me 11 years ago.
Eh, not really. Parts of it were some of the roughest times of my life, but parts were also the single proudest moments of my life... which is why I'm still here. If I'm being completely honest, the roughest times have been more about our public image, disappointing people, and feeling drowned with work while also being expected to continually post updates and such. Obviously that's like... part of the job too, and it's none of your fault, I'm just saying.

The actual game development? No. It hasn't been sad. It's been epic.

The truth is that a few things have happened here:

1) we've had to secure financial stability outside of ES
2) we've had to forgive ourselves for being late and stop drowning in anxiety and disappointment long enough to take pleasure in working on ES again.
3) I've had to take a few months off to focus on my life and health after giving up a substance abuse issue I picked up to cope during the Kickstarter. Turns out quitting opiates fucks your immune system up. Had pneumonia 3 times in a row, was in the hospital. Had to fight to regain my energy, my stamina, and wait for the anxiety to die down. Had to find pleasure again in the things in life that I used to love.
4) We've had REALLY REALLY REALLY shitty luck with level designers. Even at this stage, EVERYTHING in the game is so far ahead of level design, that it's a serious problem. ES has been plagued with this issue since the start. If you want to get really technical, here's the deal. We've all discussed it as a team and have reached the same conclusion. Creating standard 2D maps with our custom tools is a joke. It's a breeze. It's been optimized and streamlined to all hell. Any half-way competent RPG-maker user could shit out a quality 2D map in no time... but ES is not 2D, and this is where the level designers seem to piss themselves and never wind up getting far. Our worlds are built in full 3D, with each tile having an elevation in 3D space as well as each tile being able to face a different plane. It's honestly more like voxel-based, where you're laying one of the faces of a cube with each tile.

This is part of the fundamental vision of ES. It's not really a 2D game. It's a 3D game. This is required for platforming, dynamic lighting, and so many other things we want to do, but because we're doing something very new, nobody seems to have the skillset to do it, and nobody seems to have the patience to master the new skill.

So many fingers get pointed towards us making our own tools and engine instead of just the game. You know what? I looked at Unity 2D the other day--just trying to see how they approached the problem, and if it was more elegant, user-friendly, or streamlined than what I'm doing... And you know what? Not only is EVERY SINGLE THING they're doing done better in ESTk, but they aren't even addressing 1/10th of the complexity and functionality we have to address. Unity 2D REALLY IS locked to a plane. There is no concept of a third dimension. Hell, you even have to manually specify render order statically for things like a bridge or overpass. It would take an insanely larger amount of time to even attempt any of this in Unity...

Anyway, the bottom line is that we are actually still here. Progress has been slow and shitty, but we've actually been ramping up this last month. It's fine if you don't believe me. Totally fine. I've lost that privilege, and I get it.
dreamcast-news
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dreamcast-news » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:52 am

Hi,
A lot of backers want to be refund, what do you answer them?
Thanks.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:56 pm

GyroVorbis wrote:Even at this stage, EVERYTHING in the game is so far ahead of level design, that it's a serious problem.
Are the enemies, bosses, NPCs and GUI finalized then? Is it already possible to build an empty room with some enemies and play against them, with both the combat system and inventory management fully working?
GyroVorbis wrote:Creating standard 2D maps with our custom tools is [...] been optimized and streamlined to all hell. [...] but ES is not 2D, and this is where the level designers seem to piss themselves and never wind up getting far. Our worlds are built in full 3D, with each tile having an elevation in 3D space as well as each tile being able to face a different plane. It's honestly more like voxel-based, where you're laying one of the faces of a cube with each tile.

This is part of the fundamental vision of ES. It's not really a 2D game. It's a 3D game. [...] but because we're doing something very new, nobody seems to have the skillset to do it, and nobody seems to have the patience to master the new skill.
This sounds similar to how Sauerbraten/Tesseract works.

If you put up a video of your level editor in action, it should be easier to find people who understands how to use it.

==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Nico0020 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:27 am

Falco, is there any "game" there at all currently? That's what I most wonder. Not just Dev stuff, but something that is playable at this point?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:49 am

The post attacking Falco was deleted? Mods get that or did the original poster remove it?

I sent a PM to the kickstarter team about wishing to see something before years end. I remember Falco claiming to offer refunds if people had lost faith in the project, do you still stand by this?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:56 pm

GyroVorbis wrote:
madkip wrote:The feeling I've got is that this project was a sad ride. Such rides can really drain the motivation of a developer, to the point where the only way to get motivated is to get out of the ride and forget about it; I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm speaking from experience - because that happened to me 11 years ago.
Eh, not really. Parts of it were some of the roughest times of my life, but parts were also the single proudest moments of my life... which is why I'm still here.
Only now I noticed that you changed my name to "madkip" in that quote.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times

Post by BlueCrab » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:13 pm

Nico0020 wrote:The post attacking Falco was deleted? Mods get that or did the original poster remove it?
I removed it. There's just no reason for that kind of post...
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 am

mankrip wrote:Are the enemies, bosses, NPCs and GUI finalized then? Is it already possible to build an empty room with some enemies and play against them, with both the combat system and inventory management fully working?
Nico0020 wrote:Falco, is there any "game" there at all currently? That's what I most wonder. Not just Dev stuff, but something that is playable at this point?
Nico0020 wrote:I remember Falco claiming to offer refunds if people had lost faith in the project, do you still stand by this?
Silence is the answer.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:38 pm

JEEEEESUS CHRIST, PEOPLE. What in the actual hell. This is not a forum that I regularly visit anymore, and in case you haven't noticed, I've been INSANELY busy day and night working on Elysian Shadows lately on Facebook and Twitter. But nooooo god forbid, I just merely was unaware of responses on this page, and all of Kickstarter loses their shit pretending that I got freaked out and ran away or something. What in the actual hell, people. Seriously. I swear to god, I just didn't know that there were responses, and this thread slipped my mind, holy shit. It's not some maniacal plot to steal your money. We have a new guy doing PR to help out with the Kickstarter, and I changed the credentials from my own personal password to something for him, and now I can't remember, so I am locked out of KS until he gets back to me just reading all of the shit talk and comments. I fucking grew up with you guys on this forum, are you SERIOUSLY going to believe that this was all a scam? REALLY?

Seriously, what in the actual hell. I've been horrible at posting updates. Terrible. Pathetically so. You have ever right to be angry, but the extent of hatred and just plain bullshit being posted by people who I thought were my friends on here is astounding. Like holy shit, I'm magically some maniac narcissist who planned out a decade-long plot to steal 200k (that not even half of went to me personally) with a fucking Dreamcast game? Really? Is that more likely or is it more likely that we're stressed out, overworked, and yeah, no shit, Kickstarter backers and comments make us anxious as hell. We're late. Sorry. I do tend to avoid that place and its toxicity to keep my spirits up to make the game you guys paid for.

YES, yes I DO hide in the comfort zone of Facebook and Twitter where we're better received. That makes me a psycho narcissist? What in the actual fuck? No, dog, I'm human and respond better to positive reinforcement than I do stress and anxiety. It's not that deep. I was basically getting the content stream back up and going, testing the waters, getting the fans who don't just jump up our asses and call us thieves for not responding to posts excited again to help cushion the inevitable blow of how the Kickstarter backers respond. Is that so evil? Really? Because I have nothing to hide there. Holy shit.

Jesus, christ, before I even start trying to defend myself from the fucking witch hunt going on here:

Your money? YES, I stole ALL OF IT. We all stole it. It was all an elaborate scheme to steal your money to... MAKE A GAME WITH! :roll:

Like god damn, I have been working my ass off all day every day lately preparing for a big KS update
dreamcast-news wrote:Hi,
A lot of backers want to be refund, what do you answer them?
Thanks.
The same way I've always answered. You have no idea how much it makes me feel like a miserable piece of shit to have to just say "Kickstarter does not enforce or require refunds," but that part is true. They don't. If I had the money, though, and they still didn't REQUIRE it, oh my god yes, I wish to god I could refund people and get the hate off my back so I can finish this game I love so much in peace. But I'm sorry. I can't. Do you seriously think there's $185k just sitting there unspent, ready to be shipped back? That money was to sustain us while we worked on ES full -time. I did the majority of the work during this time period and was still getting barely minimum wage and was getting no more money than rest of the team. Another team mate lived off of this income too and left, ripping all of his equipment away without even giving us time to commit our code and set us back substantially. He LITERALLY robbed you, if you want to look at it like that. The same guy who good ol' Bilal is in cahootz with and whose game developer project he's promoting on Dreamcast sites.

Is it really fair that I have to pay every single dime back, because I have the integrity to stay here and fight for you? Is it fair that I'm the one being literally ripped apart when I'm the dude who stayed and is seeing it through while he took the bitch way out? It doesn't matter what's fair or not, the reality is I couldn't pay that back myself if I wanted to. The reality is also that it's not fair to you, but that's just how it is. There's nothing any of us can do about it.

Just like the reality is that you all have a very good reason to be pissed off. We're late as hell, and we're shitty at communicating (although I've been trying to rectify that shit lately), but look at this objectively. This shit is the reason I'm on antidepressants, I have high blood pressure, and even looking at some of the fucked up shit people are saying about me on KS is enough to ruin a whole day of productivity with ES. Is it fair that I'm hiding like a bitch from some of the comments there? NO. It's not fair. It's not fair at all, but I would rather finish this game some day and get you all off my back than just sit here in a state of perpetual guilt and anxiety and get nothing done. So YES, my "omg evil scheme" was to avoid the place for awhile, keep my head down, and then come back with enough hype and progress to cushion the shitshow. But OOPS. Guess it's too late for that now. But yes, I'm such a narcissistic piece of shit for having that level of emotional awareness over myself and doing what I KNOW to be in the best interest of my productivity.
mankrip wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:Even at this stage, EVERYTHING in the game is so far ahead of level design, that it's a serious problem.
Are the enemies, bosses, NPCs and GUI finalized then? Is it already possible to build an empty room with some enemies and play against them, with both the combat system and inventory management fully working?
GyroVorbis wrote:Creating standard 2D maps with our custom tools is [...] been optimized and streamlined to all hell. [...] but ES is not 2D, and this is where the level designers seem to piss themselves and never wind up getting far. Our worlds are built in full 3D, with each tile having an elevation in 3D space as well as each tile being able to face a different plane. It's honestly more like voxel-based, where you're laying one of the faces of a cube with each tile.

This is part of the fundamental vision of ES. It's not really a 2D game. It's a 3D game. [...] but because we're doing something very new, nobody seems to have the skillset to do it, and nobody seems to have the patience to master the new skill.
This sounds similar to how Sauerbraten/Tesseract works.

If you put up a video of your level editor in action, it should be easier to find people who understands how to use it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgVS0f4l-HU[/youtube]
Interesting. I need to spend more time looking at exactly how this is implemented as far as like placement and manipulation goes, because this is definitely not what we're doing in ESTk, although maybe this is the better way to handle it. We don't have every face of the cube, as with ES it doesn't make sense to render the back planes, because you'll never see any of it. The camera direction is fixed for the 3D perspective view to preserve the look and not look TOO Paper Mario.
Nico wrote:Falco, is there any "game" there at all currently? That's what I most wonder. Not just Dev stuff, but something that is playable at this point?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Yes, of course there is. See the last video.
Nico wrote: The post attacking Falco was deleted? Mods get that or did the original poster remove it?

I sent a PM to the kickstarter team about wishing to see something before years end. I remember Falco claiming to offer refunds if people had lost faith in the project, do you still stand by this?
Dude, I NEVER EVER once said that. I don't know where in the hell this is coming from. I offered one guy a refund back towards the beginning, and MAAYBE I was offering a few here and there back when we had the funds no later than the first 6 months into development, but I have NEVER EVER said that I would be able to bulk refund everyone like that. As a matter of fact, if you look at all of my social media posts and everywhere else I'm continually asked this, I give the exact same answer I gave above. Would I like to? My god, I would love to. It's just physically impossible. This is not something I've EVER been avoiding answering or something I'm sideswapping or giving a bullshit, political answer to. That's all there is to it. Look around at Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and everywhere else. That's just the reality of the situation, and it's the same reality I've been saying even before we were late with ES.
mankip wrote:Only now I noticed that you changed my name to "madkip" in that quote.
LOL I promise that was a typo! I never really learned how to quote on PHPBB, so I'm sitting here manually typing your name in. I promise that was not intentional.... are you seriously feeling defensive against me because of a single character typo? Do your mannerisms here? Do you see the threat in my words? That's on you, man, not me. Your spite towards me is so deep that I know you're sitting here thinking I did that on purpose to be sarcastic or something petty and stupid like that. But nope. Once again. Not even real. Just me being straighforward and honest and nowhere remotely near as disrespectful as you guys are all loving to pretend.
mankrip wrote:
mankrip wrote:Are the enemies, bosses, NPCs and GUI finalized then? Is it already possible to build an empty room with some enemies and play against them, with both the combat system and inventory management fully working?
Nico0020 wrote:Falco, is there any "game" there at all currently? That's what I most wonder. Not just Dev stuff, but something that is playable at this point?
Nico0020 wrote:I remember Falco claiming to offer refunds if people had lost faith in the project, do you still stand by this?
Silence is the answer.
I can't even find the post where this came from. I could've sworn that i had already spent quite a bit of time responding to this, and if not it was an accident that I didn't.

Nico, I reaaaaaaally, really hope you are not "Nick" on the Kickstarter page... because I considered you a friend... and I would like to think that you would have... I don't know... bothered reaching out to me before saying half of the (completely and absolutely incorrect) things that I'm hoping were not actually said by you... Tell me you aren't the guy who just went into some unwarranted, page-long rant about why I'm a narcissist in response to some bullshit images posted by disgusting people just trying to make me look back?

I had the amazing time tonight of posting that video to YouTube, right. The majority of my fans? Happy as shit. But then I get to spend 3 hours trying to defend myself from those fucking bullshit images and memes, where I could LITERALLY PRODUCE PAYPAL PROOF that they are bullshit. I had to sit there and wade through years worth of Paypal history to find some little refund I gave to some guy years ago who was being an asshole in some meme where I'm being demonized for things that literally weren't said by me and I NOT ONLY PAID THE GUY BACK 100% OUT OF MY POCKET WHEN WE ALL LIVED ON KS MONEY, but I also paid him back EVEN MORE because I felt bad for being late. That meme where it's like "omfg falco is so evil to backers, he promised this guy a refund then bitched him out, blah blah..."

Yeah, he was paid back in full and then some, and then my dumbass ex team mate on the ES account said some horrible things to him that looked really bad. I spent the night pissed as hell, bitching him out and telling him to never ever do that again, because it was so fucked up. So I was literally THE good guy here, and I'm blamed for absolutely everything. Like okay, I get it, you all hate me, but Jesus christ, can we at least make SURE that the things you hate me for are actually true? Like is that okay? Because yes, we owe you so much. Yes, your initial investments meant the world to me, and I am literally KILLING myself to make you the best game I even possibly know how to make to redeem myself, but seriously, it's almost getting to the point where the punishment isn't even fitting of the crime anymore. It's getting to where it's actually not fair to me either... and if I'm being honest, yeah, that's why I've been shitty at Kickstarter updates. But okay, obviously we can't go on that way. So you can look forward to seeing this face you all despise so much on a more regular basis.

Just for the love of fuck, can you guys stop believing every stupid-ass meme created by my fucking psychopath little brother and jealous ex team mates? I'm a thief, hack, criminal, and now a fucking rapist....

Guys, I said that we had new team mates. I said we needed time to gel. I said we were working on it... and my god, we have been. =/

Edit: yeah, that's definitely you, Nico. Wow. Have I ever said my substance abuse was anyone else's fault? What in the actual fucking hell are you even talking about, dude? I have had absolutely NOTHING but pleasant interactions with you and have done nothing but humbly confess my own fucking stupidity on these boards with regards to that. Please direct me to a post that could even be construed remotely as me not tasking responsibility for it. Also what the fuck? I can show you multiple posts where I take responsiblity for shittily managing this project... Do I not start basically EVERY SINGLE POST OFF WITH "I know we're late and you guys are upset, rightfully so, XXXX"? Really? EVERY. SINGLE. POST. Look on social media. Look at any way I interact with backers. I am doing nothing but taking full responsibility for the fact that we have been the ones at fault and that any (rational, logical) rage is justified towards us. You are very clearly upset, but like... what you are saying is unjustified and unwarranted and is just downright fucked up in addition to being untrue. I don't know what in the fuck I did to piss you off to that extent other than be honest and not remember to check for the responses on this thread, but I don't think I deserve it.

The irony is that the last post where you are so pissed off and freaking out about the state of ES and demanding a refund is like right when we've been working the absolute hardest. You aren't actually mad about lack of updates, because you're very clearly EVEN MADDER that they came out on Facebook and Twitter and very clearly don't actually give a shit that its being developed hard again. So what exactly are you mad at? Your perceived "narcissistic scheme" of basking in glory away from Kickstarter that is literally LITERALLY nothing but anxiety? For fuck's sake dude, honestly, that's kind of fucked up. I just can't believe you've gone so far out of your way to project that much about me, express that much hate, and never bothered to actually talk to me about it. You're a true friend, dude.

Since you have seen fit to completely shit and piss all over me on Kickstarter, when I considered you a friend, I would assume that I am no longer bound by some form of social convention to be polite to you back at this point? You're throwing this huge fit calling me a "joke" for not responding to some developer here on some post I literally never saw. And now that I'm here, the post is gone. I would LOVE to respond to some developer asking serious development questions if that's what that was, or hell, even to defend myself to someone who wants to act like their technical knowledge makes them uniquely qualified to judge our game. You know what I find funny, though? I'm this miserable, sideswiping coward for missing a forum post... Meanwhile you're off posting fuck-knows-what about me, when we have totally spoken to one another on numerous occasions? Kind of seems to me more like you're the one being spineless here, not me.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:05 pm

I'm rereading my response that triggered you so hard, Nico, and I'm just not seeing what in the hell is there that set you off... especially considering we've all been doing nothing but working diligently... Why don't you ask darc about my original response to this thread? I didn't know this was here. I didn't know anyone was asking. Thank GOD darc is the kind of guy who would bother to message me and be like "yo dude, you might wanna look at this," before jumping to the conclusions and saying the kinds of shit you're saying.

In basically a month of at least being okay with my response you've gone from that to freaking out and attacking me and jumping on the hysteria bandwagon, and ironically that month has been one of the most insanely productive months I've had. So all this because I missed a couple forum posts and you read some bullshit GIFs about me? Oh, meanwhile, I was killing myself working on the game you're shitting on...
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:35 pm

PS: FOR ALL THE WORLD TO KNOW, YES, YES I HAD A DAMN HAIR TRANSPLANT. I've wanted one since I was 17 damn years old. I did not ever spend a fucking DIME from the Kickstarter on that. Are you fucking crazy? It was an engagement gift from my wife.

And you know what? I KNEW people would say that I spent KS money on it. I knew they would, so you know what I did? I was 100% completely open, honest, and public about it on social media, showing pictures of it every step of the way, telling people I was getting it weeks before I even had it and assuring people it had nothing to do with KS... You know what someone who stole money for a hair transplant wouldn't do? THAT. I thought I was doing the right thing being honest and open there with nothing to hide. But nooooooooooo the hysteria train somehow still is able to convince everyone I blew KS funds on a hair transplant? Jesus, I wish, my wife is only now finishing the last payment. Okay, I'm kidding, I don't wish, but give me a fucking break. Am I really going to have to sit here and justify and disprove every dumbass little meme and shit post trying to defame me? Do you sort of see now why I avoid KS? This is insane.

ElysianVMU, a school project that I could've done completely unrelated to ES, that had nothing to do with our KS, but I still wanted to develop for you guys since i had to do something for a class anyway, is a total waste of time and betraying peoples' investments. But having to defend myself from every dumb little accusation instead of coding? Nope. Not at all a waste of your investments.

You guys do know that at any point I could've just said "shit, we didn't make it, I'm so sorry you guys, it just didn't work out," and I could just walk the fuck away, right? There is nothing legally Kickstarter can do about it. Not given the terms that were in place when ES was Kickstarted. I would be clean. I could get on with my life and be happily married. I wouldn't have to put up with this shit. It would be over... Just take a second to think about that. No, I would not be sued or anything like that for the money. Review the terms. I've known this the entire time. Yet every goddamn day. EVERY DAY, I wake up and CHOOSE to subject myself to this more, because I want to. Now think what you want about me, hate me all you fucking want, shit talk my game, my years of work, kick me down, beat me up, I don't give a shit, but let that sink in for a second, because it's the truth. I'm here, because I believe in this fucking game, and I want to make it for me AND for you. I believe and want to make it SO BADLY that it's still worth it to me to go through this... At the end of the day, how the fuck are we not on the same team here?
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Now that I've cooled down, I sincerely apologize for the very defensive tone of my posts (and the liberal use of the F-word), although I still 100% stand by everything I said... I was so happy and excited with where the project was headed again, it was like a dream come true, and then I got to spend the entire day yesterday being torn back down and dragged through the weeds for sins that I never even actually committed.

While I'm bearing my soul here to you, and even though I'm sure it'll be used against me, just as being honest about my substance abuse was, you want to know WHY I wanted a hair transplant so badly? Because I got so fucking sick of the comments on YouTube being more about my hairline than they were about my work.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Now that I've cooled down, I sincerely apologize for the very defensive tone of my posts (and the liberal use of the F-word), although I still 100% stand by everything I said... I was so happy and excited with where the project was headed again, it was like a dream come true, and then I got to spend the entire day yesterday being torn back down and dragged through the weeds for sins that I never even actually committed.

While I'm bearing my soul here to you, and even though I'm sure it'll be used against me, just as being honest about my substance abuse was, you want to know WHY I wanted a hair transplant so badly? Because I got so sick of the comments on YouTube being more about my hairline than they were about my work.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by |darc| » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:07 pm

Well, I feel I oughta respond to this...

I completely understand the upset towards Falco, as anyone backing this surely must be disappointed in the progress of the project, years later and pretty much nothing delivered. People have the right to be upset. Add to it the fact that Falco is obviously not the best at PR, and this isn't a good situation...

That having been said, none of this type of ganging up on him will actually accomplish anything other than feeding into your own upset emotions. And being a $500 backer I have just as much reason to be upset as almost any other backer. I'd love to see some of that money back, especially considering I'm pretty fucking broke at this point in my life and $500 is a damn lot of money to me compared to when I was better off during the Kickstarter. But I won't even ask for it back, because even if Falco could pay it back, it isn't really going to help the outcome of this project.

I've known Falco for damn near half of our lives, and I don't think he intentionally did anything malicious with the Kickstarter money. Yeah, the project was completely mishandled, and I am not well informed enough to have a good opinion on whose fault that is exactly. To be completely honest, Falco blames others, but I know Falco isn't the best at handling the criticism, so maybe he was toxic and drove others away. I honestly don't know. And at this point, I don't care.

Here is where we stand now. The facts:
1) Elysian Shadows has no legal obligation to deliver anything at this point.
2) Despite point 1, anyone following Falco on social media knows he's still working on it.

I have faith that the project will eventually be finished, or at least finished to a degree where something acceptable is released.

My biggest fear at this point is if all of the Kickstarter money is gone, how will all of the promised extras be manufactured?

All I can say to other backers is to just wait. I know this project has already gone beyond what anyone could have expected from their patience, but at this point, what are you gonna do? It is what it is. There's nothing good that can come out of torturing Falco.

@GyroVorbis -- I totally understand the mental anguish you've had from this project. But despite that, I'd caution you that people are simply not going to be all that sympathetic, and your abrasive responses aren't going to help much. I'd suggest much less flipping out. Just keep your head down, keep working on the project, post updates, and not respond to all of the criticism other than factual updates on the project's progress. You'd have a much better response from the community if you did that.
It's thinking...
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:24 am

Rather than tear down everything Falco just posted here, I'll just offer this.

These type of tantrums is why your fanbase has turned on you. Plenty of kickstarters have been late, or even failed. But how you handle your mistakes is even more important than the mistakes themselves.

You can't come out and say "people have every right to be angry at me, BUT...." and then go off on a huge spiel about why they shouldn't be angry at you because you are working so hard and it's not your fault. Just as its no better to come out and say "I'm not a racist BUT...." followed by some clearly racist remark. You can't have it both ways. And usually in life, when you stop blaming others for things, shit starts going your way a lot more.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:27 am

Nico0020 wrote:Rather than tear down everything Falco just posted here, I'll just offer this.
Wow. What a big response. Just completely ignore everything I've said, as though you were going to have some sort of rational, well-conceived comeback justifying half of the things you said, somehow totally discrediting what I said (which is the truth)? You had quuuuite a lot to say before, but now that you got your wish and you're actually speaking to my face--rather than behind my back--you've decided to take the moral high road? :roll:
Nico0020 wrote:These type of tantrums is why your fanbase has turned on you. Plenty of kickstarters have been late, or even failed. But how you handle your mistakes is even more important than the mistakes themselves.
My fanbase has not turned on me. Look around you. You're actually in the minority... The majority is actually happy as hell to see these latest updates and while they aren't thrilled with the delays, the majority are still saying that they believe it will be worth the wait. Have a look at the posts. Many people actually HAVE bitched me out, and I've spent paragraphs talking with most of them to ultimately wind up at an understanding with them no longer harboring anger towards me... would have sure been nice to have been given that opportunity with you.

And if I have never posted anything on Kickstarter, how can this even be so? You're acting as though I've thrown a "tantrum" on Kickstarter, at Kickstarter, or towards Kickstarter. As a matter of fact, I challenge you right now to find some quote of me on Kickstarter where I wasn't even moderately polite (and if I'm wrong, I'll apologize and own up to it, because I legitimately forgot). The only "tantrums" I've had have been directed at dickheads from Reddit who are just trolling... everything else is just people like you projecting and believing said dickheads. And by the way, this STILL is not a tantrum directed "at" the backers. This is a tantrum at YOU, who I considered a friend, so yeah, my tone is a little bit different... and by the way, Mr. high-and-mighty, if anyone wants to start talking about tantrums, maaaaybe you should look back at your own KS posts. It's funny, because you of all people were the least justified to start doing that kind of stuff, considering i had actually just responded to a bunch of questions here and had given you what you wanted. The rest of them (many of whom are happily waiting patiently), would have been a lot more justified in doing what you did, as they legitimately haven't heard from me. You really think I'm pissed at you (or anyone else) just because you have a problem with me being late? Really? That's what you've simplified this entire thing down to in your head? :lol:

To the Kickstarter Backers who I know are reading this: don't let people like this convince you that I hate you. I'm frustrated, I'm pissed off in general, and if you have been posting shitty made-up things about me or attacking my character, yeah, I'm probably pissed off at you. If you haven't been? Wtf? I love you. You literally helped me achieve my greatest goal in life. You've done nothing but help me and support my work, and I've failed you so far. It's a pain that fucking stings. It stings so badly that it makes me anxious even being on the KS page, but I'm getting my shit together now and will be back. Please don't let people like this who say "omg you treat fans/backers like shit" (just because I don't let them walk all over me) give you the wrong idea and convince you that it's you guys against me, because it's not. It's those individuals against me, and they're just trying to turn you against me as well, when in reality this has absolutely nothing to do with you and never will. As a matter of fact, most of these people aren't even backers and don't even know a damn thing about our project. I'm even respectful to people who DO shit on me and at least inform me of the fact that they're KS backers. Look around. Look at my posts on social media. Look at my posts on YouTube. Go back through every one of my KS posts. As long as people aren't just saying "OMG THIS LOOKS LIKE A PIECE OF SHIT" or "OMG FALCO IS A PIECE OF SHIT," 9 times out of 10, I'm graciously thanking them and am apologizing for being late, even if they're criticizing me. Yeah, I'm pissed off at Nick. He's been a total dick, and I'm frustrated in general. That has nothing to do with you, as much as they want to pretend it does.

If you would've messaged me and asked for anything, dude, I would've personally walked you through the toolkit, shown you progress, and shit, for someone like YOU who was a little closer to me and who was part of the DC community, I would've shown you the design doc or even let you play with some of the software. I do that kind of stuff all the time. But now? Nope. You've burned that friendship bridge.
Nico0020 wrote:But how you handle your mistakes is even more important than the mistakes themselves.
Agreed, which is why I've been spending more of my time lately with my head down working rather than responding people who have clearly already made their minds up about me based on misinformation. Right now? Responding to you? I'm fucking up, because I'm weak. :evil:
Nico0020 wrote:You can't come out and say "people have every right to be angry at me, BUT...." and then go off on a huge spiel about why they shouldn't be angry at you because you are working so hard and it's not your fault. Just as its no better to come out and say "I'm not a racist BUT...." followed by some clearly racist remark. You can't have it both ways. And usually in life, when you stop blaming others for things, shit starts going your way a lot more.
...what? That's not even remotely a realistic analogy there. Have you read what I've said? You have a right to be pissed off at me for things I actually did, like being late and being a shitty PR spokesman. You do NOT have a right to be mad at me for bullshit that you're making up or projecting onto me, like your little rants about me being a narcissist (I don't think you actually know what that word means)... I don't think that's unreasonable at all, to only ask for the anger that I have rightly earned as a consequence of my own actions, and I know if you sat down and thought about it a little more, you would agree with me. I assume everyone IS mad at me right now, and obviously they're justified as long as it's for me being late, being a shitty manager, or being shitty at PR. Shit, it's so torturous for me, because I AM MAD AT MYSELF FOR THE SAME REASONS. But my guilt can only go so far, and it's reached faaar beyond the point where the accusations, the spite, and the half-baked Freudian analyses are even justified. If you have some complaint with me for something I have actually done, then by all means, you will never hear me crying foul. :roll:

You want a racist analogy? Okay. It's more like I fucked up and accidentally said something racist, and am fully aware of the fact that I did it and accept the consequences of those actions, but now you're calling me a pedophile out of nowhere, and you're bitching at me for not wanting to be called a pedophile, because I said something racist. You are once again only able to demonize me, because you've drastically oversimplified what is even going on here. Me being late does not give you a blank check to say or do whatever you want to me out of anger, because you think my lateness serves as your justification. The fact that you seem to be operating under that assumption, Dr. Freud, is far more indicative of narcissism than any impulsive emotional response I make out of people pissing on my work (which is a sign of low prefrontal cortex control over the amygdala, which is a tell-tale symptom of ADHD).

Another thing I would like to address... What's my role on the (former) team? What does it say? Engine programmer. You know what one thing is actually like 98% done? Yeah. That thing. I've obviously and admittedly made more than my fair share of mistakes with this project, but my main job? I have done it to the best of my abilities, and any responsibility I'm taking on now (like PR, wtf, that was never agreed to be MY job, where's your rage towards the other members of the team? lol), are things I'm doing additionally, because I love this work, and I want to make this game. To be fair, I was never even officially elected a "manager" of sorts either, as everyone working on the team at the time insisted we be a democratic unit. Those of us getting paid received the same amount, regardless of position or work, but okay, I'm the leading face, I'm the one who happens to do PR (because I'm the only one who has ever taken the time to talk to you), and I'm the one with the vision who had the idea of the Kickstarter, so sure. I'm the manager. I fully accept it now, and maybe even half of my shitty management was not even really managing. Was just trusting in this fuzzily-defined democratic unit that didn't have any sort of strong central leader. So yeah, it was stupid of me to go into the Kickstarter like that. It was almost like a childish evasion of responsibility, thinking I could bury my head deep in the code and the rest would just work itself out... Managerial fault. I accept the resulting guilt and anger there too.

Now to address the people who say "omfg if it's done then why don't they just release that!?!" he must be lying!", but it is true. You want to know why? We've had MANY talks about this on the team. You guys think the game is already late now? Imagine how late it would be if my new job also became to be constantly responding to bug fixes and feature requests on a massively cross-platform engine and toolkit, supporting other peoples' games instead of my own? Seriously. Thats' it. That's why we haven't released it. It would be a NIGHTMARE to work on ES AND support ESTk simultaneously. There's no big lie to conceal here either, guys, that's just the reality of any piece of software, and ESTk is an ENORMOUS, complicated, ambitious piece of software.

...but I promise you. Once it is released, and you're all still hating me, undoubtedly, you'll have a new generation of DC homebrew to thank me for. It's funny, because from what I'm seeing, the MAJORITY of the DC community and the DC megafans understand that and the ambitiousness of what we're trying to achieve--and they're the ones who SHOULD be the most pissed off at me, because they backed us at the highest tiers--yet they are the ones who after having a few short conversations with are the most forgiving and understanding (after initially being pissed as hell, don't get me wrong)... meanwhile someone like you, who basically lives in the scene, has taken it upon himself to essentially crucify a project aspiring to bring so much to the console. I'm not sure what you want here or what you're trying to achieve, actively seeking to hurt my work.

Do you know how many people who had never heard of the Dreamcast are stoked as hell to be able to use this tool to create games for it? Please show me another tool that has a built-in VMU emulator to just seamlessly allow you to use the device in the editor for display, debugging, and audio without a big, fancy DC development setup or a thorough, low-level understanding of C and KOS? When we were first Kickstarted, I was contacted by a group at IGN BEGGING me to give them early access to ESTk, so they could get their hands on it and make a DC game.

About 99% of my fans and viewers are PC gamers and couldn't give less of a shit about the DC. My own team doesn't even really care, and as a matter of fact, it does make our jobs harder, having to always consider the hardware's limitations, especially given the scope and technical complexity of the game. I have gone through hell and back again to support this console, bringing tons of my fans with me, and opening the eyes of people who never gave a shit about or had never even heard of a Dreamcast to this scene. Maybe, just maybe you should be supporting me rather than trying to crucify me? There is nobody here who wants to keep the little white box dreaming more than I do...