Elysian Shadows Kickstarter Live NOW!

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
Christuserloeser
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Elysian Shadows Kickstarter Live NOW!

Post by Christuserloeser » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:34 pm

$60.000 :grin:
Insane homebrew collector.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:04 am

Just made a video update! Don't forget, we're also on Steam Greenlight now too!

Also, we did a huge interview with the guys at SegaBits, who I know asked all of the questions the haters from the SegaBits and Sega16 forums were mentioning... Not that I think it will convince any of them of anything, because it sounded like they never bothered looking into ES before they started hating on it... But if we have not answered any legitimate concerns or questions for them, please let me know.
Elysian Shadows - "Next-Gen" 2D/3D RPG coming to Sega Dreamcast, Steam, OUYA, and Smartphones
http://www.elysianshadows.com
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:33 am

I've made a thread at Dingoonity. I don't know other big Android gaming communities, though.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by |darc| » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Holy shit... 4 "mentor" tiers were sold ($5,000). The Kickstarter is now up to $83K!
It's thinking...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:37 pm

aaand 85.000 :grin:
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:50 am

Reading through the Gameplay section of the Kickstarter page again, I've noticed this:
Connecting the various ruins to the societies of Elysian Shadows are many overworld maps the player must explore.
No overworld map. The world is open, vast, and full of detail. We wanted to create a world that is continuous and connected rather than disjoint and separated through a world map or menu.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Nico0020 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:34 am

Hey Falco, I listened to your Segabits interview. Nicely done.

A thought came to mind involving VMU integration. You say the team is trying to figure out something special to do with the VMU during gameplay. I had an idea I thought about while listening. Maybe an "item finder" type application, ala Pokemon XY, on the VMU screen. Something simple that shows if an invisible item is nearby and to help you find it?

Anyways congrats on passing the halfway mark!
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:00 pm

^ that is a neat idea :)

GyroVorbis wrote:Also, we did a huge interview with the guys at SegaBits, who I know asked all of the questions the haters from the SegaBits and Sega16 forums were mentioning... Not that I think it will convince any of them of anything, because it sounded like they never bothered looking into ES before they started hating on it... But if we have not answered any legitimate concerns or questions for them, please let me know.
The issue with these podcasts and streams is that only like 100-300 people listen to them. What you'd need to do is a write up or FAQ that addresses the questions answered in the podcast and earlier video interviews. Have someone on your team (or a volunteer from your forums) go through your recent video interviews and pick out the most important things about the game that people might not be aware of, and post it as a Kickstarter update.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:06 pm

^ Sounds identical to Skies of Arcadia... doesn't it?
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:21 am

cube_b3 wrote:^ Sounds identical to Skies of Arcadia... doesn't it?
So ashamed to say it, but that's one of the the top games on my backlog for Dreamcast stuff. I just never picked it up somehow. I love the art style of the game and want to play it sometime in the future. I need to pick it up.

What other games had unique in game VMU features (Not standalone things like Chao Garden, but things that affected normal gameplay)?

Off the top of my head,

Resident Evil - Health Monitor
Virtual Tennis - gameplay via VMU
Shenmue - Showed button presses for learning new combos

Anyone else have any ideas what could be used for in game VMU stuff?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:09 am

mankrip wrote:Reading through the Gameplay section of the Kickstarter page again, I've noticed this:
Connecting the various ruins to the societies of Elysian Shadows are many overworld maps the player must explore.
No overworld map. The world is open, vast, and full of detail. We wanted to create a world that is continuous and connected rather than disjoint and separated through a world map or menu.
Lol, shit. I probably should have phrased the first sentence better. There is no separate or disjoint world map or menu. It's a continuous world like Poke'mon, Zelda, etc.
Christuserloeser wrote:The issue with these podcasts and streams is that only like 100-300 people listen to them. What you'd need to do is a write up or FAQ that addresses the questions answered in the podcast and earlier video interviews. Have someone on your team (or a volunteer from your forums) go through your recent video interviews and pick out the most important things about the game that people might not be aware of, and post it as a Kickstarter update.
Yeah, that's a really good point and a really good idea. Doing it.

Dudes, those are good ideas for the VMU! Actually one of the first things we thought of was some sort of treasure finder like in Skies of Arcadia. Going to send the rest of the team here to weigh in.

The campaign has been going extremely well so far. Honestly, the fact that we are almost at 100k without being mentioned by a single large mainstream gaming site (IGN, Kotaku, Gamasutra) is almost unheard of in the crowdfunding community, according to some of my friends in the press.

Also, I can easily see for a fact that this is having quite a big impact on awareness of the Dreamcast scene. I've seen articles and posts where backers who have not touched a DC in 10+ years are pulling it out of the closet and backing us for that version rather than the Steam or mobile versions... I'm really hoping once we get mainstream press coverage, this could seriously raise awareness about the DC scene... Closing in on $100k with Dreamcast versions still being the #1 platform by far.

edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention! Elysian Shadows is now on Steam Greenlight, and we are doing extremely well so far. Over 2k yes votes in just a week. We're very much expecting to be greenlit any day now, which could significantly help add credibility to our campaign for the large gaming sites. Please give us your support! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =296094908
Elysian Shadows - "Next-Gen" 2D/3D RPG coming to Sega Dreamcast, Steam, OUYA, and Smartphones
http://www.elysianshadows.com
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:53 am

GyroVorbis wrote:
mankrip wrote:Reading through the Gameplay section of the Kickstarter page again, I've noticed this:
Lol, shit. I probably should have phrased the first sentence better. There is no separate or disjoint world map or menu. It's a continuous world like Poke'mon, Zelda, etc.
Using "overworld areas" for the first and "world map" for the second could help to clarify.

By the way, I suggest recording a gameplay-focused video showing as much of the gameplay as you can. Most of the questions I'm getting about Elysian Shadows are about its gameplay:
Why not evolve features?

Hero growth (shining force),
Combine heroes in one attack, or combine them as one unit (revengr of death adder, dwarf&giant)
Have a school to develop skills,
Teach companions,
Have items to equip characters from head to feet,
Hidden treasures and characters,
Item upgrade,
Set up a camp, upgrade defenses,
Quests like leading defenses of castle, last stand,
Promotions and ranks, with land grants, etc
Now the real question is, is it going to be a game people would want to play? A lot of the hype I read is purely about its technologies and the platforms it'll be on
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:40 am

I agree a gameplay-focused video would be a good idea. One of the main concerns with Kickstarters these days is a developer's ability to follow-through in a reasonable timeframe.

Keeping that in mind, I think the "we've spent years on this" message you've got going is at odds without the amount of content you have on display.

I know there's very good reason for that and this game has been a huge journey for you guys, but looking at it from the perspective of someone who's just landed on your Kickstarter page...a few minutes of "let's play" style footage would go a long way (if you can provide it).

While your opening video looks great, there's not a lot to suggest that there's a real game there. I know there is, and all those that have followed you throughout the years know there is too, but you need to think about the strangers who have never even heard of you.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by |darc| » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:34 am

It now hit $100K :D with 2 weeks left to go
It's thinking...
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:12 am

112K. That was fast.

By the way, this comment on Kickstarter smells trouble:
Matt Thomson on August 4

I'm considering upping my pledge by $10 more because those development notebooks sound sweet. I mean I think they all had macbook pro's in one of the AiGD vids. Pretty good deal for $10
I don't know how common that is in the US, but in countries like here, the word "notebook" is synonymous with laptop computer. Several more people may be doing the same mistake of the guy above, thinking they'll buy the ES team's computers for 10 bucks.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:12 pm

$123.000 - looking good!! :grin:

They justed added five more custom ES Dreamcasts btw.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:26 am

Go ninja, go ninja go!
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Ayla
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Ayla » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:00 am

I was getting worried some days ago as it was going really slow. But it looks like it's going to make it very soon :)
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:41 pm

FUUUCK YEAH! They made it!

Congrats on the achievement Falco. This has been a dream of mine since so many years ago, to see a Dreamcast project pushing the scene, the technology, and the originality of the game design in so many ways.

When you began years ago, I remember you really liked to toy around with stuff such as particle generation, but it seemed to be more of a pastime than anything. You were already talking about making a game, but it seemed like it would be something small and simple. Thanks for pushing it forward, thanks for keeping to raise the bar.

I know there are several other good independent DC games released in the last years, but Elysian Shadows is something that feels particularly special to me now, since I began catching up on how much it has evolved.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie
Has liked: 7 times

Post by Juan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:55 pm

Great news, congrats! :grin: