Pier Solar HD on Dreamcast demonstration

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
Christuserloeser
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Pier Solar HD on Dreamcast demonstration

Post by Christuserloeser »

via https://www.facebook.com/PierSolar

Hello, Backer & Friends! One more great update for you, this time regarding to one of the most wanted news ever: Pier Solar for Dreamcast!

In this video Tulio shows you parts of the game running on Dreamcast, also one big surprise that you, Dreamcast lovers, will be so excited to find out! And, of course... We made some extra juice just for you! You must watch it to get it!

Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573 ... sts/683901
Insane homebrew collector.
TheRedFox
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Has thanked: 0

Re: Pier Solar HD on Dreamcast demonstration

Post by TheRedFox »

wow! first vmu mini game for a long time!
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd
hilltopper06
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by hilltopper06 »

I am curious about the additional resolution support they hope to add to the VGA box. I know in the past coders have mentioned that 800x600 could be hit, but at a performance decrease. Is it possible that they have worked around this? Could they potentially pull off a native widescreen resolution? Or even *gasp* 720p?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Can't wait to get my copy :D

I do hope they manage to fix the music issue during map transitions, though.
TheRedFox
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheRedFox »

You know, considering that it's probably not the most technically difficult game for the Dreamcast to run (what with it being a port from much older hardware), the performance hit from upping the resolution might not be a huge issue. IDK though, that would probably only be true if it's fairly optimized.
Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I very much doubt they'll implement widescreen support as it would involve to redraw EVERYTHING in a different resolution which then would be stretched to widescreen on your TV to correct the aspect ratio of the redrawn graphics but would introduce artifacts. It would look pretty terrible.

This would work in 3d games I'd imagine, but not in 2D games.

As for resolution: The game is 480p on all platforms, that is already four times the resolution of the Mega Drive original. Guilty Gear X is the only other 2D game on Dreamcast in 480p, I think. A LOT of work to draw 2D pixel art in 480p, and it often doesn't look too hot either, which is probably why they went with the low res solution for the game's sprites - which was a brilliant move in my opinion.
Insane homebrew collector.