New Dreamcast SD Adapter on sale at Chinese website

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
User avatar
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:51 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: New Dreamcast SD Adapter on sale at Chinese website

Post by Neoblast » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:00 am

Quzar wrote:The big benefit is the ability to have large rewritable storage that can be read near universally. The VMU can hold a max of 128k (100k usable) and it is very very difficult to get data on/off the VMU (especially without a Dreamcast, and serial cable or BBA). Having this allows for all sorts of homebrew that has simply been impossible or pointless in the past due to that limitation.
I hope now that there is a fairly easy to get one, people start using it and coding with it.
Waiting for mine to arrive...

We decided not to manufacture them, got a budget and it wasn't going to get any cheaper than the chinese ones including shipping lol, they are really cheap.
User avatar
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:29 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: New Dreamcast SD Adapter on sale at Chinese website

Post by Anthony817 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:35 am

They will start shipping mine tomorrow on the 11th thats when Chinese couriers resume work from their holiday vacation. I'll let you guys know how long its till I get mine.
User avatar
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
Posts: 7492
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Miami, FL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 4 times
Contact:

Re: New Dreamcast SD Adapter on sale at Chinese website

Post by Quzar » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Neoblast wrote:We decided not to manufacture them, got a budget and it wasn't going to get any cheaper than the chinese ones including shipping lol, they are really cheap.
These were available back when dreamcast es promoted their own SD adapters? I thought the reason they weren't made back then was no source for the plugs.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
User avatar
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:51 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: New Dreamcast SD Adapter on sale at Chinese website

Post by Neoblast » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:58 am

Quzar wrote:
Neoblast wrote:We decided not to manufacture them, got a budget and it wasn't going to get any cheaper than the chinese ones including shipping lol, they are really cheap.
These were available back when dreamcast es promoted their own SD adapters? I thought the reason they weren't made back then was no source for the plugs.
At first we were going to pay someone to make them manually, but the lack of end connectors rendered that option not feasible. Later we got in contact with a company that could make the entire cable, everything was ready and all but the budget was way higher than what it costs to get one of the chinese ones, so we decided not to make then in the end. It would have costed from 10-15$ more (shipping included).
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5441
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 23 times
Contact:

Re: New Dreamcast SD Adapter on sale at Chinese website

Post by BlueCrab » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:40 am

Neoblast wrote:
Quzar wrote:
Neoblast wrote:We decided not to manufacture them, got a budget and it wasn't going to get any cheaper than the chinese ones including shipping lol, they are really cheap.
These were available back when dreamcast es promoted their own SD adapters? I thought the reason they weren't made back then was no source for the plugs.
At first we were going to pay someone to make them manually, but the lack of end connectors rendered that option not feasible. Later we got in contact with a company that could make the entire cable, everything was ready and all but the budget was way higher than what it costs to get one of the chinese ones, so we decided not to make then in the end. It would have costed from 10-15$ more (shipping included).
Still though, if you guys had a source to make the entire thing, that would be a good opportunity to get something like a coder's cable (maybe even one of the USB ones) professionally done. I'd love to see a professionally done USB coder's cable myself. :wink:
User avatar
alex81
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:28 pm
Location: Russia/Novosibirsk
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: New Dreamcast SD Adapter on sale at Chinese website

Post by alex81 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:56 am

Quzar wrote:When you have something that's just inserting it's possible that he just took any connector with the right pin stride and used padding on the back to keep it in the socket.

My idea had been to use a vga-box or scart connector with all its pins and just chop off the extra ones. The two connectors work the same.
http://www.dc-swat.ru/forum/thread-1539.html
User avatar
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:29 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: New Dreamcast SD Adapter on sale at Chinese website

Post by Anthony817 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:15 am

Ok guys, I posted it everywhere else, so I'll post it here like I said I would.

Here is the packaging it comes in.

Image
Image

Ok, so the first thing I noticed when I was opening one of these, is the actual serial port connector has been fashoned with a peice of plastic to act as a spacer to keep the device firmly placed in the serial port. This is not a bad thing, and actualy looks quite nice if you ask me. You will never notice it when it is plugged in anyway.

Image
Image
Image

I did order an orange one, to keep the NTSC theme going with my Dreamcast, but apperiantly the orange ones sold out first, as I did specify to them I wanted the orange one, but they gave me an email saying that option was not available.

So far, I have gotten retail games Gigawing and Mars Matrix working, the later of which had some stuttering issues duing the Capcom logo, but once in game it worked fluidly as expected with full audio.

As far as homebrew goes, in my experiance with Neo Geo CD games, it works great, Double Dragon was fine by me. Aes4all should be updated in the future to be more compatible with the SD cards and use them as ram for the carts, so arcade games MIGHT work full speed in the future, but as of now, the low ram the DC has has kept emulation very slow for that system.

Dcplaya2.0 was updated with a SD card plugin, so you can browse the media directly from the SD card, but this hasn't worked for me with either my 2gb or 32gb card, and could be a common bug, but it should get worked out in the future I hope.

In the future Dreamshell will get updated with more features that I can't elaborate on just yet, but I assure you it will be more than worth it, and time spent waiting on these to come to your house. Mine took a little over 2 months, and you can do what I did and get a 32gig card on Ebay for $42 and fill it up with all kinds of GDI, CDI and homebrew binaries. ;)
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
Posts: 3964
Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 6:51 am
Location: pakistan,karachi
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: New Dreamcast SD Adapter on sale at Chinese website

Post by cube_b3 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:42 am

Bump good read.
Post Reply