3/4 Player DC version needs testing.

A forum for news and discussion about Beats of Rage and its modification.
Kirby2000
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

3/4 Player DC version needs testing.

Post by Kirby2000 »

http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/DC3PLAYER-BETA3.zip

Please let me know if you have any success getting this to work. I've been told it now plays with 3 players, but I have no DC with me so need some feedback from you guys.

This release is not from CGRemakes, so don't hassle him about it if it doesn't work or is full of bugs. Please post any problems on the BORRev forums (listed below) so I can keep track of all comments.

From the readme.txt

This BETA is WIP, it is designed to show that 3 players can be done.

It is not finished, it is not optimized. There ARE problems with it.

Controller 4 must be used instead of 3 for the moment for player 3.
You may need to set up player 3's controls on the menu before you play.

It is based of 2.0044 DC source code. There is no memory saving version yet.

Please post bugs on the BORRev forums, not the OpenBOR ones at the moment (so all comments are in one place).

http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/

http://www.openbor.net

Thanks goes to Tails who I worked with to get the 4th controller working.
Without his help I would have a 3-player BOR that only used 2 pads!

Cheers

Pete N
(Kirby2000)

Pete@Kirby2000.fsnet.co.uk

Also thanks to KingHerb, Mr Q and Gitanno (or whatever he's called these days) and CG and DCSteve for the hosting space (and of course Senile Team for BOR)
Last edited by Kirby2000 on Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirby2000
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Kirby2000 »

http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/for ... c.php?p=65 <--- post feedback here.

I've just added custom lifebar postioning for 3 players and an option to disable player 3's "press start / credits" for 2 player games (on the options menu) so it plays like normal 2 player BOR.

However I don't have my Dreamcast in my current house, so I need DC testers before I release (or I can put it up here untested, but I'll prob get lots of people moaning it doesn't work right).

If you are really desperate and don't mind running untested code...

http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/DC3PLAYER-BETA4.zip

http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/WIN ... -BETA4.zip
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

I think you should bow in and re-add Tails' Code at least to preserve his works in DarkBOR in return for the remarkable service he's done in helping you with this recent work.

It's really a shame how CGremakes is continuing to not add in Tails' features from DarkBOR into openbor. He made a big deal about OpenDarkBoR and then...nothing. Even in xport's latest port, they said they HAD support for darkbor but none of the features will be usable. That's like having a ferrari with no engine.

Stand up for your fellow bor modders and voice your opinions on this! Image
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!
Kirby2000
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Kirby2000 »

Dude, I've already spoke to Tails about it, I can't start another seperate port of BOR or what would be the point in merging the two ports, there would still be two ports after, my merged one and CGs OpenBOR.

The only way you are going to get OpenBOR and DarkBOR features is for CG to add them to OpenBOR.

Saying that, the code for character scenes after player selection is now in both the 3-player ports (Windows and DC) if you still need to use if for your Sailor Moon Mod.

Sorry if I sound a little pissed, but so far in the 3 days this has been released, I've had only two posts about the DC 3 Player version, and about 7 or 8 with people posting off topic (on BORrev and OpenBOR.net) or about the Windows code in the DC thread.

Any issues you have with OpenBOR you should take up with CGRemakes on a seperate thread, I handed the project over to him in April 2005, its not mine anymore. I'm just trying to help you guys out from time to time with new features like 3P.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

No offense intended.

Sad really, when a bunch of guys sit around discussing sailor moon but ignore a 3 player breakthrough in the engine and can't take the time to reply.

Kirby, I tried it earlier and I haven't found any problems as of yet other then the things you've already mentioned - I've run out of CDrs so this was strictly a windows test, I'm guessing a 4 player version would be a bit easier now to implement?
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Kirby2000
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Kirby2000 »

4 player is quite possible now. Creating a forth player, a forth set of controls and making him move around the screen and attack people is very easy work, would probably take about 2 hours to do.

The main bulk of the work is coding the AI to recognize how many players and which to attack, its quite simple with 2, much more complicated with 3 and with 4 I will either need to write about 4 pages of code, or devise a simpler way of checking.

Thanks for testing Tyne, nice to get some positive feedback. I will try to get some work done over the weekend on it (either fixing bugs or working on 4 player) and post any progress here.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

AI is very tricky work, a simple route would to randomly select between the 4 players on screen and go after that person specifically! If that person is killed randomize on who to go after again.

It'd be better to have them attack who's closest actually but that is trickier, how is BoR's AI handled anyway? I wrote some pretty smart AI for TAoV I can share methods with you as it's a beat em up too!
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

kungpow12345 wrote:That's like having a ferrari with no engine.
Or an engine with no Ferrari... wait a minute, that would make it a Lamborghini. :lol:

Same as Tyne here, don't need to hear the same stuff from me.
...controller hasn't killed me yet.
Kirby2000
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Kirby2000 »

AI on BOR works in a couple of ways, but the main code works out which player is the closest. This normally wouldn't be too hard to code, but at the moment if it checks for a player that doesn't exist it will crash, so I have to use some long winded code to check for every possible combination of players before it works out who to attack.

Once a player is chosen, they are then locked as the enemys target until the code asks it to recheck (which happens for a number of reasons).

The AI of how the enemy moves and attacks is seperate and is not affected by the multiplayer code, however it is something I'd love to see improved in BOR, any suggestions?

BTW, please redownload the Beta's at the top of the page. I've made a couple of changes.

-On the DC options menu, the number of players was showing in the middle of "game speed", that has been fixed now.

-Also the players are more accurately positioned on the player selection screen.

Apart from that, there aren't any major bugs so far, so if you find them (or have something nice to say) let me know.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Well I for one need to apology for sounding demanding when I was talking about the darkbor features in openbor. I did ask CGremakes before about adding the simple things like magic and the additional shot projectiles to openbor so my darkbor roots in Sailor Moon are better applied with just one engine and not multiple ones, which I'm trying to avoid. I want a lot of people just to see how great BoR is and that's why I've been pushing myself hard with hopes of getting Beats of Rage to the DS and making Expansion Packs and writing up modding tutorials so Sailor Moon fans can make their own games and enjoy BoR for themselves until I decide to "retire" from BoR in the near future.

I know Ed Edd n Eddy will easily be modded into the 3 player engine and I wish we could go and implement 3 player specific commands or attacks. For example, in the Mis-edventures games by Midway, if you press a certain button as one character, all 3 team up to do an action. Example: When you press the button with Ed, he turns into a massive battering ram and the 2 eds are dragged along for the ride until they crash into a wall or into the enemy. Then again, in that game, all 3 are controlled at once and you have to press either an L or R trigger on the PS2 or Xbox versions or Z on the gamecube version to switch between Ed, Double D and Eddy.

I will be using the player select command with the 3 player port in Sailor Moon Plus and for original bor, I'll just slam all of the transformations into one scene just like in the anime so either way, they have their transformations.

I truly do love the 3 player port of Openbor. It's a great step forward and I wish you the best of luck at a possible 4 player port of Openbor.
Last edited by kungpow12345 on Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

:x stupid quote command...delete this post admin
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Kirby2000 wrote: The AI of how the enemy moves and attacks is seperate and is not affected by the multiplayer code, however it is something I'd love to see improved in BOR, any suggestions?
Idea for an AI Improvement that makes them harder to hit, if the player jumps then have the AI back away from the player while moving up/down the screen to avoid any incoming jump kicks; right now they stand there drooling. :\

Double Dragon also had enemies randomly decide to move behind you, I coded this in TAoV also and it helped, I'm sure BoR has this though..
but at the moment if it checks for a player that doesn't exist it will crash
Wouldn't it be easier to have it not crash and check for another player instead? or are you basically forced to write long winded code because of the way Team Senile wrote it?
Kirby2000
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Kirby2000 »

Its more my coding ability to be honest. Rather than completely rewrite the AI, I'm extending the current code.

Seniles code is pretty good, its more of a case of sitting down and designing a less complex but equally effective system.

I check the players exist because I need to use their x/y co-ordinates to compare which is nearest. If I try and compare a player that does not exist the compiler generates an error, so at the moment I have sections for just player 1, just player 2, just player 3, player 1 and 2, player 1 and 3, player 2 and 3 and players 1, 2 and 3.

Each of these sections compares the current players distances from the enemy to select which is the new target. If I expand this to four players the amount of possible combinations will increase even more, so I need to find a more efficient way of doing this.

As for enemies moving when a player jumps, it might be quite easy. You could calculate the players range from their current speed / jump height / direction and check if the enemy is in range. From that you would be able to make them move up or down or back off. However it would have to be a selectable option per character as we would not want to affect the behaviour of older mods.

The question then would be "when do the enemies dodge?"

I suppose I could use a random number, like a 1 in 5 chance they will dodge out the way. If they did it all the time it would be impossible to hit them!!!

I'm not sure if there is a enemy block command, I think I saw one in there recently. If so, I could use some of the code from that as a basis.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Sorry, been not around these days - surely doing some testing tomorrow :kiss)
Insane homebrew collector.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Allow modders to define wether or not enemies can dodge, you're right: upsetting the balance of older mods wouldn't be wise. Also enemy movement speed would also affect their dodging since slower characters can't get out of the way faster!
Christuserloeser

Blocking is already there, Dodging is beeing worked on. So far only player can really dodge:
http://openbor.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=51
Kirby2000
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Kirby2000 »

I started work on 4 player today, got it up and running. I still need to work on the AI and a few other things, but its looking good.

Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Great job! Keep it up.
Christuserloeser

As I already wrote: This looks incredible !

:kiss)

Newsposted on http://DCEmu.co.uk/
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

When you are done with the 4-player version, could you send me a link to the source? A pure fighting openbor as opposed to beat-em-up would be a whole lot better if based on a 4-player version than 2 or 3.