Super Mario World: BOR Edition

A forum for news and discussion about Beats of Rage and its modification.
bizzle
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Super Mario World: BOR Edition

Post by bizzle »

PROJECT IS NOW CANCELED.

I am not the biggest fan of BOR, but I am going its modding a try. I've done VERY little so far, but this could turn out quite nicely. So far I am just in the planning stages, and screwing around with BOR to see how things look. I am also looking for people to rip sound effects and sprites, or work on custom sprites and/or music. If you're interested let me know! The current Mario sprite was just to test, but the final style will be the Super Mario World/SNES style.

I'll update as I progress.
Last edited by bizzle on Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I changed the Mario sprite, and got the walking and standing sprites finished. Mario looks around a bit while sitting idle, and walks so far.

bizzle

Post by bizzle »

A bit more progress, fixed the top part with the name/icon.

I am really going to need some people with experience to help make different levels, so thats the main thing I need help with.

BTW, is there a way to set it so you can only have enemies/players to only be able to walk like this only left and right instead of left, right, down, up?

bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Here is a small video of the current work: http://anthony.fanazio.com/bor3divx.avi
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

This topic seems a little one sided up to this point, so I will make a post to help even things out a bit. Xylene -I gotta say, its great to see you trying out a BOR mod. Keep with it, it'll turn out nice I'm sure.
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

very nice

ill waqtch this with ,major interest
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

BTW, if anyone is wondering what the fraps.com crap is about, its the program I used to record the video, and when you aren't registered, it puts the message there.

I've tuned the jumping a bit more, but thats about all I've gotten done since the last update. I am going to try to get all the Mario sprites done by tonight. If someone can make me an awesome title screen, it would be great.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I am having a bit of trouble getting the proper cordinates in Photoshop 7 for the images, to use for "bbox". It keeps giving me a decimal. Any idea how to fix this?
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Like in Mario RPG :lol:
Wing6
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Wing6 »

Xylene wrote:I am having a bit of trouble getting the proper cordinates in Photoshop 7 for the images, to use for "bbox". It keeps giving me a decimal. Any idea how to fix this?
O, I had this prob too when I started, what u need to do is click on the cross looking icon right next to X and Y in the info/navigator box.

Just click pixels and there u go!
"We will lead a revolution!- John Cho"
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Thanks. That worked.
bramenjam
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by bramenjam »

Xylene wrote:BTW, is there a way to set it so you can only have enemies/players to only be able to walk like this only left and right instead of left, right, down, up?
No, not in BOR. It will be impemented in AotB, but I wouldn't put your mod on hold for that. AotB will not be released for a long time...
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I think it was ace who told me reaper fixed it so you can have it only side scrolling.. but oh well.

Again, if someone is interested in helping make the levels I'd greatly appriciate it, as thats something I suck at doing.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

According to the charactors config file, you can use GIF, PXR and BMP for sprites. Is there a way to use those for the title screen? I tried, but it always complains about the file being missing then. I am kind of stuck becuase my title screen looks like pure crap when saved with their gif color palette.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

According to the charactors config file, you can use GIF, PXR and BMP for sprites. Is there a way to use those for the title screen? I tried, but it always complains about the file being missing then. I am kind of stuck becuase my title screen looks like pure crap when saved with their gif color palette.
You can change that. I had a badass DKC mod I was doing, but I got all pissed off about it because of the colour palette. But you can get around this by adding the colours you want to use into the palette. I forgot how exactly (and couldnt be bothered to open PS right now, sorry :P) but when changing it to the palette, perfect everything in the pic you want to use BEFORE changing to 256colours, you can do the following. Turn the preview off (and on again to see what colours are being changed that you wish to keep, if needed) then select the colours you need and add them to the palette. Then apply the palette and all should be well.

That's probably a terrible explanation and I'm sure someone could explain it better. If not, I'll see if I can make a vid of it and post it for you. Or perhaps someone else could, who understands what I mean.

But it is possible, I have had numerous BOR mod ideas that would be awesome. But due to work and other personal matters I just can't complete them. That's why I've never announced any.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Alright.. thats a huge pain in the ass, but I know what you mean.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Yeah, and can be quite a pain if you're needing to add many colours. But for something simple like a sprite it's easy enough. But backgrounds and title screens... GAH! :x
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Yeah, I haven't had to edit the palette at all for sprites, becuase they always came out close enough to the original colors that you wouldn't notice the difference.
bramenjam
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by bramenjam »

If I'm not mistaken the intro screen doesn't need a special palet. So it should be able to make a gif with 256 colours of your choice for the intro screen.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Hey Xylene, I got some bor stuff leftover from Nintendo vs Sega if you wanna use em, fully ripped mario (not the goofy one i had in the game but the Mario World one) and also the "Beta World" level I made. Just remember to give me credit if you want em (oh, and lpjunior999). Also, about the title screen, I've found out in my experience that the "myth" about the 256 color intro screen is wrong, it's only for the animated gif files but you still need to fix your colors to the bor palette or other palette for the best results, especially with the font. oh and Xylene, press F12 to take pcx's in BoR, much easier :)
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!