THE OFFICIAL ANIME THREAD - FALL 2010 UPDATE ON PAGE 4!!!

Be careful where you tread in here...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.houzz.com/pro/kuchnie/
Has thanked: 0

Re: THE OFFICIAL ANIME THREAD - FALL 2010 UPDATE ON PAGE 4!!!

Post by melancholy »

Serious question for Boney: So I started watching Haruhi for the first time ever. I got through the first season that started with the nearly last episode first for some reason, then painfully made my way through Endless Eight, and am now halfway through the second season that appears to just be the middle of the first season. Disregarding the crazy ordering of these episodes, I got to know; is anything ever going to happen in this show? Because I pretty much already know how Season 2 is going to end considering we already saw the end in Season 1, and I'm having a hard time believing that this show can just continue to be popular without any indication that things will be resolved.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Nope - the TV show is just selected animation adaptions of the original light novels. The anime has finished, but the books are still ongoing - the 10th came out last month and AFAIK an 11th is planned. While there is a light over-arching narrative I tend to take each episode as a self-contained story.

If you like the characters and want something more meaty try watching the movie; The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's a gorgeous 160 minute piece of movie-quality HD animation (not the quick Korean stuff the show uses), is a self-contained story (pretty much), and adapts the best book in the series.

Also, I don't know if you're a reader, but in many ways, I prefer the books to the show.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by mrandyk »

The only anime Ive ever watched is Death Note. Incidentally, my girlfriend's name is Kira. Im afraid to leave her.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by DanteJay »

Great, now I have her name. Now if you'll kindly give me her number...
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Smiley wrote:I like anime dealing with vampires..any suggestions.
Well, there's always Hellsing and Blood+. The Japanese have a bit of a different take on vampires than the West. Don't expect to find anime covering vampires like Lestat or Twilight - that kind of vampire only appears as a caricature or parody in comedic anime.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

You could always watch "Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?" if you wanted to see some vampire ninjas. :lol:
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

BlueCrab wrote:You could always watch "Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?" if you wanted to see some vampire ninjas. :lol:
Ah yes, that series was kinda fun. :grin:

There's also Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase. Not as much fun, but more vampire-y.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

BoneyCork wrote:Nope - the TV show is just selected animation adaptions of the original light novels. The anime has finished, but the books are still ongoing - the 10th came out last month and AFAIK an 11th is planned. While there is a light over-arching narrative I tend to take each episode as a self-contained story.

If you like the characters and want something more meaty try watching the movie; The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's a gorgeous 160 minute piece of movie-quality HD animation (not the quick Korean stuff the show uses), is a self-contained story (pretty much), and adapts the best book in the series.

Also, I don't know if you're a reader, but in many ways, I prefer the books to the show.
I think my problem is that I enjoy the over-arching narrative way more than the rest of the show. I keep watching just because I'm hoping more bizarre stuff happens and she eventually figures it all out, but I'm consistently left disappointed. Would reading the novels change that, or will I continue to be disappointed?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I haven't read the latest book, but I'm willing to guess a final conclusion won't come until the final one. Like every serialized thing though, the last book will come when every one has lost interest, because there's no point stopping something when they haven't. C'est la vie.