DC Emulation Transition

Be careful where you tread in here...
choujij
https://www.houzz.com/pro/kuchnie/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC Emulation Transition

Post by choujij »

So, I was wondering if someone (in the least angriest, sarcastic, closest to the truth way possible) could give me a rundown of what transpired with the whole dcemulation.com turning into dcemulation.org thing.

It sounds to me like it was a vicious drama of betrayal and greed, and makes for some good reading to be enjoyed with bowl of popcorn.

You know what... forget the popcorn. Just a quick rundown would suffice.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: DC Emulation Transition

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Act I: in which Captain 007Cheater engages in heated discourse with ranking officers re: the course to be plotted for DCEmu Forums

Act II: wherein said officers and most remaining commoners mutiny, and set sail with the good ship DCEmu Forums to the land of Org, aka Secret Pirate Island

Act III: containing the brief exploits of 007Cheater and his endeavors to recreate his commandeered ship from old blueprints, promoting the remaining riff-raff and rabble to officer status

Act IV: a brief tale of the strife between the lands of Com and Org, a lopsided rivalry between DCEmu Forums and DCEmu Forums, and of pistols at dawn

Act V: whereupon the Darc Captain of the Land of Org is the last man standing after the smoke has cleared
Last edited by DaMadFiddler on Fri May 28, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I managed to get myself banned in Act 1, BEFORE I posted a global announcement calling 007 out on what he was doing.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

NIGGA STOLE MY SITE
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I convinced 007 I'd be on his side and he made me an admin once he put the forums back online. I saw all the private forums and made a copy of the database before he knew what was going on.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Act I: in which Captain 007Cheater engages in heated discourse with ranking officers re: the course to be plotted for DCEmu Forums

Act II: wherein said officers and most remaining commoners mutiny, and set sail with the good ship DCEmu Forums to the land of Org, aka Secret Pirate Island

Act III: containing the brief exploits of 007Cheater and his endeavors to recreate his commandeered ship from old blueprints, promoting the remaining riff-raff and rabble to officer status

Act IV: a brief tale of the strife between the lands of Com and Org, a lopsided rivalry between DCEmu Forums and DCEmu Forums, and of pistols at dawn

Act V: whereupon the Darc Captain of the Land of Org is the last man standing after the smoke has cleared
*accompanying theatrical music*
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
choujij

Post by choujij »

nvm
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Act I: in which Captain 007Cheater engages in heated discourse with ranking officers re: the course to be plotted for DCEmu Forums

*claps* Bravo, wellsaid! And lol@BlueCrab for getting himself banned during Act 1. =P!

So, is this the main reason why there are quite a few veteran members of the .com that do not visit the land of the .org? Or is that mostly due to the aged DCEmu scene?

Edit: Sweet....Ness! I found my old user account that I thought had been lost in the shuffle. I had been searching for it for quite some time, but had completely forgotten my credentials.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DanteJay wrote:So, is this the main reason why there are quite a few veteran members of the .com that do not visit the land of the .org? Or is that mostly due to the aged DCEmu scene?
95% the aged scene, but a few actually weren't aware that .org existed because 007 eliminated all mention of the site on .com. So visitors who simply had .com bookmarked and took everything 007 said at face value never really realized there's a .org out there now.
It's thinking...
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

The move really happened to late. The change to the current site should have happened back in the hay day when we got screwed with the Homebrew section. I'm not saying no one pulled their weight, I'm well aware what went on but it would have been so awsome to get away from 007s hold sooner and setup the site we always wanted.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Prophet][ wrote:The move really happened to late. The change to the current site should have happened back in the hay day when we got screwed with the Homebrew section. I'm not saying no one pulled their weight, I'm well aware what went on but it would have been so awsome to get away from 007s hold sooner and setup the site we always wanted.
I remember that. It was a nice resource, and there really hasn't ever been anything to completely fill the gap since.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Prophet][ wrote:The move really happened to late. The change to the current site should have happened back in the hay day when we got screwed with the Homebrew section. I'm not saying no one pulled their weight, I'm well aware what went on but it would have been so awsome to get away from 007s hold sooner and setup the site we always wanted.
I agree it should have happened earlier, though in a way it did, twice. Consolevision was a break away by the staff in the early days, and then after the Homebrew debacle, wraggster took all his shit and moved over to the UK site. Those just didn't work either because people stayed here. I don't think what I did to Cheater was the most moral thing, but it had to be done IMO.
It's thinking...
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Why did wraggster move to a UK site? It seems kind of pointless to try and split up the scene.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

DanteJay wrote:Why did wraggster move to a UK site? It seems kind of pointless to try and split up the scene.
I forget the exact order of events, but Wraggster had maintained the DCHomebrew site for ages so around the time when all of the original DCEmulation staff split from 007Cheater to form Consolevision, Wragg snatched and grabbed DCHomebrew and took it with him to his dcemu.co.uk domain- this along with dcemu.co.uk being smothered with ads is why lots of people still have a problem with Wraggster.
When all of the DCEmulation staff split to form Consolevision, there were lots of DCEmu users who would have loved to have been staff at DCEmulation, so when cheater, in a panic, was throwing around mods like candy, people stuck around. To be fair, only us staff at the time really knew what a moron Cheater was, knowingly posting news of fake emulators for hits, posting pirated software and just generally being a muppet, if anything he was a lot worse back then.

TL;DR THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

I didn't notice the ads, as I have ads blocked with my browser, but it does seem to be pretty popular. If I may ask one more question before I get shot in the face:
Why is Consolevision dead then if it was started by the original admins from the .com?
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

not just souLLy now wrote: so when cheater, in a panic, was throwing around mods like candy, people stuck around
Gotta admit, I'm part of that demographic.
DanteJay wrote: Why is Consolevision dead then if it was started by the original admins from the .com?
Probably the same reason Boob! died, inactivity. The only reason this site stayed around for so long, was because it was the first, it was home to most, and it became the fallback when all other sites died.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I think it has more to do with the focus on a now-dead emulation scene that nobody gives a shit about.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BoneyCork wrote:I think it has more to do with the focus on a now-dead emulation scene that nobody gives a shit about.
I disagree. Consolevision focused on more than just the Dreamcast. They just never really got off the ground in the right way.
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

|darc| wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:I think it has more to do with the focus on a now-dead emulation scene that nobody gives a shit about.
I disagree. Consolevision focused on more than just the Dreamcast. They just never really got off the ground in the right way.
Nah, Consolevision was even more niche, because only homosexual retards were allowed to sign up.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

i always liked boob as it usually had a lot more technical discussion and information