Lemmings ?Only request I have ever made:Old IBM PC game port

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
BaLLZaCH
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Lemmings ?Only request I have ever made:Old IBM PC game port

Post by BaLLZaCH »

Whats up,

In 6 years of tinkering with this Dreamcast I have never, not once asked for a port or download of any kind.... Until now, maybe it already exist ???

Lemmings !

Anyone remember the game ? IBM PC, Game gear, I'm sure every system had a version of it, BUT, I was always adicted to the PC version. Regular Lemmings 1 on a 3.5" floppy disk, for IBM PC. I actually still have it on disk, but would love to be able to play it on Dreamcast.

I'm not speaking of emulators or clones, I'm asking about the actual PC version. - It was probobly one of my all time favorite old-school games, I don't think i ever got past level 3 but haha lol I want to try with a DC gamepad :-) and see if that helps ...

Thanks....
Sinepe Yime Kuss :-p
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Re: Lemmings ?Only request I have ever made:Old IBM PC game port

Post by Skynet »

I know you don't want emulators, clones, etc. but is Lemmings on the PC the same as the Amiga? I grew up with the Amiga version, so it's what I know. If the PC version is the same, you could just emulate it via that. Also what would be sweet is if the Amiga emulator supported the mouse.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
BaLLZaCH
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BaLLZaCH »

Hey Skynet,

I was never lucky enough to have an Amiga, but I will dig into my backup discs and check my old DOS stuff ... I am Pretty-Sure Lemmings was the same in DOS 5.x(Not sure if older) and Windows 3.1+ / and win95+ ... but I could be wrong ... NOT SURE about the Amiga though, my buddy had one, but not me .... I only have about 2 minutes log time on one, what a shame, huh ?

I can do my research, and also post the demo version (if I can find it in my backups) of the PC Lemmings for cross reference ....

Thanks again for the reply,
BaLLZaCH

[EDITED - I was wrong, and you are correct about the CGA graphics and PC speaker blip, the Windows and DOS versions ARE different - Similar levels though, different executables] - edited
Last edited by BaLLZaCH on Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The Amiga version is much, much better than the PC DOS version, which had CGA graphics, and PC speaker noise. It's probably old enough that it'd run on the PC emulator that I can't remember the name of right now. Maybe.

The Windows 3.1 version is a bit better, but still stuffers from horrible MIDI music, and overall feels much clunkier than the Amiga version. That version won't run on anything on the Dreamcast.

The Amiga version should run on UAE4All, I think. It only required an unexpanded A500, and wasn't particularly demanding on the hardware.
BaLLZaCH
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BaLLZaCH »

I would like to give Amiga emulation a try ..

Any quick pointers before I waste 4 days ? :-)

Thanks
Last edited by BaLLZaCH on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
BaLLZaCH
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BaLLZaCH »

Last edited by BaLLZaCH on Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
BaLLZaCH
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BaLLZaCH »

Yup,,

You're right ---- (I think I was wrong about the DOS and Win9x version), I do remember now the CGA/EGA and the PC Speaker blip on the DOS version -- Not too bad though .... So you say Amiga is better huh ?

Here are some screenshots of my win95 version, cant find the dos right now....
It is very "SIMILAR" to the DOS version I liked ... Is the Amiga similar as well ?

Thanks again .///

Is the Amiga version similar to this ?
Screenshot:
BaLLZaCH
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Re: Lemmings ? -[edited] - DOSBOXDC PCDos Emulator ?

Post by BaLLZaCH »

OK I beleive you are speaking of DOSBOXDC , the PCDos emulator ?

I haven't had this problem in a long time so I wanted to ask, the DC screen it goes WHITE (Does not reset) and keeps trying to read the cd over and over again ... (But all my other burns and selfboots work great)

It comes as a scrambled binary, so [I imaged the scrambled binaries with Dreamboot and/or Selfbootbuddy (Also tried both CDI and NRG images) but not luck, all roads lead to nowhere]

What could cause this ?

Thanks
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

DOSBOXDC is very user unfriendly and needs a DC keyboard to use it, I would use UAE4ALL like BlackAura suggested. If you decide to use DOSBOXDC remember to keep the folder names less than 8 characters... if you don't it's impossible to cd into the directories because the "~" key isn't mapped right.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

UAE4All is a fantastic emulator and should run the game perfectly.

Link: http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/
Insane homebrew collector.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

BlackAura wrote:The Amiga version is much, much better than the PC DOS version, which had CGA graphics, and PC speaker noise. It's probably old enough that it'd run on the PC emulator that I can't remember the name of right now. Maybe.
The DOS version (from 1991), supported VGA graphics and Adlib music.

I just ran the game in Dosbox, the Adlib music is actually pretty good, brings back some memories...

This is one of my favourite games. Funny to think that these people went on to make GTA.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Phantom wrote:The DOS version (from 1991), supported VGA graphics and Adlib music.
Hmm... The version I had didn't. It was off of one of those compilation CDs of old games though - many of the games on there were broken in some way. Wouldn't surprise me if they either used the worst version they could find, or somehow broke the VGA mode.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

BlackAura wrote:Hmm... The version I had didn't. It was off of one of those compilation CDs of old games though - many of the games on there were broken in some way. Wouldn't surprise me if they either used the worst version they could find, or somehow broke the VGA mode.
When I tried the game just now, I noticed that the installer allows you to install (e.g.) only the CGA files. Perhaps that's how the files went missing before being put on that CD.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Phantom wrote:Perhaps that's how the files went missing before being put on that CD.
Quite likely. I've just... err... found another copy. The CGA version is exactly as I remember it (hideous), but there's a VGA version too, which looks pretty much like the Amiga version.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Damn BallZach I didn't know you posted on here. How is Kim and Cole doing, and how bout ole Rob.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Or you could play one of the 5 million other versions that were released.

Known ports include: 3DO, Acorn Archimedes, Amstrad CPC, Apple IIGS, Arcade (prototype only), Atari Lynx, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga CD32, Commodore CDTV, DHTML, MS-DOS, Hewlett-Packard HP-48 series, Macintosh, Mobile phone, Nintendo Famicom (NES), Nintendo Game Boy, Nintendo Game Boy Color, Nintendo Super Famicom (Super NES), Nintendo DS [2], OS/2 (demo only), Palm, Philips CD-i, SAM Coupé, Sega Game Gear, Sega Master System, Sega Mega Drive, Sinclair Spectrum, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Playstation 3, PlayStation Portable, TI-82, TI-83 plus, TI-89, TI-92, UIQ, Windows and Javascript

I always played the Genesis version, it should work with the DC Genesis emulator.
linlinlol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by linlinlol »

to be honest i've never seen a CGA version

I've only played the same old 1991 vga version

Windows version is worse. They removed the special levels, has none of the OH NO music and none of the music is assigned (it is also missing special songs for certain levels)
DOODOO
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MethodGit »

Christuserloeser wrote:UAE4All is a fantastic emulator and should run the game perfectly.

Link: http://chui.dcemu.co.uk/
Are you sure about it being excellent? PSPUAE - the PSP port of UAE4ALL - was dire at emulating nearly every game I threw at it at a decent rate, so I imagine it'd be just as problematic - if not worse - on the less powerful Dreamcast?