Cube port to DC.

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cube port to DC.

Post by Dreamcast4life »

There is a really fun death match FPS called "Cube" I play a lot with people online. I think this would be a coo thing to port, it is open source and can find the link if you wish. I think it may run but I could be dead wrong, is it a possiblity?
Have you played dreamcast today?
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Masen »

as its opensource and SDL it should be portable ... but i think it also uses OpenGL wich isnt so well avaible for DC ... at least i dont know if the DC would be powerfull enough ... but Cube on DC would be very nice ^^
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

It's 3D, so it would be very hard to port. The main problem is the lack of proper OpenGL support in KOS.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
Segafreak2
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Segafreak2 »

What's the link?
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

You don't think KGLX could work? (http://a128.dreamcast-scene.com/projects.htm)
If I understand it right, it integrates OpenGL in KOS. Not certain if its fast enough, but on the other hand, Cubes engine is made so it will take little power.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

http://www.cubeengine.com/

here is the homepage, I just though we could have another DC game that uses online capabilites and play with people online, I like the engine but if it can't be done then it can't. wishful thinking though.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Hm...looks cool. There's been a few FPS games ported to the Dreamcast, and this seems like it might be a cool addition.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Somebody should be able to do a similar type of thing (but not necessarilly with internet play) with the Yeti3D engine. It was designed to be similar to Cube, and I don't think it would be too hard to allow for more than one camera so you could split the screen into two, three, or four parts so you could have a multi-player game.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

Imerion wrote:You don't think KGLX could work? (http://a128.dreamcast-scene.com/projects.htm)
I have tried pretty much all KGL hacks out there. Trying to write portable code that works fine on proper OpenGL implementations as well as on Dreamcast has been nothing short of pure hell. I'm currently using my own hacked version of bero's KGL hack.
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I play this On Pc all the time. I love the game even though its simple but its intense when your fighting other opponets and all. simple and fun, this game is fun.
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Somebody should be able to do a similar type of thing (but not necessarilly with internet play) with the Yeti3D engine. It was designed to be similar to Cube, and I don't think it would be too hard to allow for more than one camera so you could split the screen into two, three, or four parts so you could have a multi-player game.
If I remember right, the Yeti3D engine has been ported to DC. Its quite a capable engine considering it runs in software rendering mode. I have played around with it a bit and it making a multiplayer splitscreen-shooter out of it could be fun to try. Some time ago I had this idea and I was thinking about giving it a try, but I doubt Im skilled enough to do the programming. I can do maps for it though... Guess Im not much of help yet. :)
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Imerion wrote:
If I remember right, the Yeti3D engine has been ported to DC. Its quite a capable engine considering it runs in software rendering mode. I have played around with it a bit and it making a multiplayer splitscreen-shooter out of it could be fun to try. Some time ago I had this idea and I was thinking about giving it a try, but I doubt Im skilled enough to do the programming. I can do maps for it though... Guess Im not much of help yet. :)
Yeah, Vortexx ported it to the DC. I've played with it some as well. You can take a look at what I've done at http://www.storm-studios.net/onethirty8/Yetistuff.html if you're interested. Basically, to do a split-screen version, you would just have to hack in a second camera. If you do something similar to the pvr code I used (which really doesn't make good use of the pvr) it should be really easy to put two viewports on the screen wherever you want them. Vortexx's version would work also, but you'll have to convert everything to RGB565, and the easiest thing to do there would be to have two 320x120 viewports, and just draw one above the other. It's really an easy engine to work with. Most of the hard stuff is already done for you.

On Edit... that version on my pages at storm-studios.net might actually use SDL for the DC and not the PVR, since I put it up when I got it running on my Mac. There is code posted on the forums here, which you could copy + paste if you want to try and play around with the engine on DC.
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Interesting! Ill take a look at it as well. Thanks.