Might Scrap Makaqu. Possible to Finish Bero's Work?

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
Rizzoislandgame
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Might Scrap Makaqu. Possible to Finish Bero's Work?

Post by Rizzoislandgame »

Hey guys! I'm starting a new thread because the old one is sort of dead. After a conversation with Mankrip, he has told me that since everything is all in software, it would be a waste of time to reverse engineer the engine to try to add KGL support. He then pointed me toward's Bero's old engine that he never finished (he lost interest?). Due to it's glitchiness, I'm not even able to run the first level of the game (which is rather large though).

So I need three things:

1. Confirmation that he only left the project due to boredom and not because it was getting impossible to do.

2. Confirmation that it is possible to expand upon his source code and finish it up.

3. Someone willing to help finish what he started, so a proper high quality engine could be made and run decently on the Dreamcast.

Makaqu, while good, is not powerful enough to run my game on larger, less blurry settings. Like I said before, what I need is a hardware renderer with some other features that vanilla GLQuake doesn't have, such as longer draw distance and smoother lighting (if possible).

If anyone is willing to help, please PM and I'll give you my email and Discord.

I'm getting kind of desperate now since I wanted to have a demo ready by at least may/june, August at latest. If the Demo needs to be pushed back, so be it, but I need someone to step up and help me.

Unlike my previous offer, I can no longer offer money as an incentive, but I'm willing to negotiate for what you'd like as compensation, just make sure you have an idea in mind when you contact me.

Thank you, and sorry if it seems like I'm spamming! Not trying to, just trying to get more of this project off the ground! This will probably be my last post on finding an engine programmer, and if I can't find one, I'll just release it with Makaqu at a lower but playable framerate (around 20-25 FPS on 600x400).

EDIT: Changed the engine to Chui's Dreamplaces instead of Bero's completely incomplete engine! Dreamplaces has more potential.

If anyone is willing to help, please PM and I'll give you my email and Discord.
Last edited by Rizzoislandgame on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Smile for me, You're in loving hands
Don't be sad today, You can make other plans"

-Smile, Tom Rizzo
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Re: Might Scrap Makaqu. Possible to Finish Bero's Work?

Post by Moi »

There was also a DarkPlaces port by Chui from around 2008 or so. It had hardware accelerated renderng and decent speed iirc but no sound.

It was released on a compilation ISO. Not Sure If the source Code is still avalable somewhere.
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
Rizzoislandgame
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Rizzoislandgame »

Moi wrote:There was also a DarkPlaces port by Chui from around 2008 or so. It had hardware accelerated renderng and decent speed iirc but no sound.

It was released on a compilation ISO. Not Sure If the source Code is still avalable somewhere.
Thanks for the tip! I just contacted Chui to ask for the code, since he never released it, but I plan to release it, and he's not working on it anymore. Hopefully he responds, even though he hasn't been on the forum for 2 years and has no email attached to his account :(.

But you never know!

EDIT: I found the code! Apparently it was released under the Return to Castle Wolfenstien Dreamcast sourceforge!
"Smile for me, You're in loving hands
Don't be sad today, You can make other plans"

-Smile, Tom Rizzo
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Rizzoislandgame wrote: Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: I found the code! Apparently it was released under the Return to Castle Wolfenstien Dreamcast sourceforge!

You are welcome. I wish you all the best with your project. It'll be a hell lot of work for sure if you want to do both Q1 based game design/qc coding AND engine coding as well all by yourself.
If you want some inspiration I suggest to take a look at Codename Corporal for QuakeDC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbWDmX6dTTw

this is the most complete standalone Q1-based game the dreamcast has ever seen. It exclusively uses custom game content such as music, art, maps, menus etc. No ID Software content aside from the leaked WinCE based engine port of GLQuake.
Aside from impressive technical achievements it's also very fun to play.
park
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by park »

Moi wrote:
Rizzoislandgame wrote: Thanks for the tip!

You are welcome. I wish you all the best with your project. It'll be a hell lot of work for sure if you want to do both Q1 based game design/qc coding AND engine coding as well all by yourself.
If you want some inspiration I suggest to take a look at Codename Corporal for QuakeDC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbWDmX6dTTw

this is the most complete standalone Q1-based game the dreamcast has ever seen. It exclusively uses custom game content such as music, art, maps, menus etc. No ID Software content aside from the leaked WinCE based engine port of GLQuake.
Aside from impressive technical achievements it's also very fun to play.
I always meant to try codename corporal, it looked pretty cool. Now that you reminded me of it , I cant seem to find this mod anywhere. Know where I can find it?
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

Doctor Dan
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Doctor Dan »

so @rizzosisland @moi is there any chance of seeing 56k netplay on a future quake 1 port\fork?

8 player Q1 deathmatch with keyboard mouse would be a great addition to the library, mic support too for the ultimate nerd experience :lol:
park
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by park »

Moi wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:03 pm Try one of those

http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/downloads/codename/
Thanks. Got around to try and I must say it was very fun. It was a pain getting it to run but it was a nice surprise when it did. With some tweaking it could have been a commercial game. Its more fun than outtrigger in my opinion. Music is good too.
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

I'm glad you liked it, Park. Now with Makaqu getting dreampi support soon Codename Corporal could some day even beat Outtrigger by featuring online multiplayer on the DC.