Doom limit removing in NxDoom, or Doom4DC

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Doom limit removing in NxDoom, or Doom4DC

Post by Stryfe »

Hello. I think by this now third thread asking about DOOM that people can tell I like the games.

I'm not asking for another port that'd be BOOM compatible, but if it would be possible to modify one of the current ports to remove some of the original Doom engine limits?

The most encountered limit that I've encounter while trying out pWADs is the horrifying "visplanes overflow" game crasher.
doom.wikia.com wrote:The Visplane Overflow is a fatal error that occurs in Vanilla Doom when there are more than 128 unique floor and ceiling surfaces (visplanes) on the screen simultaneously.
Would it be possible for this single, original, engine limit to be modified in one of the above ports? BlackAura, Chilly Willy, anyone know?

I'm not sure to what extent, but back in the day, somebody had hacked the original engine/executable to at least raise the limits. It was called Doom-Plus.
ImageImageImageImage
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: Doom limit removing in NxDoom, or Doom4DC

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Stryfe wrote:Hello. I think by this now third thread asking about DOOM that people can tell I like the games.
You're not alone, the threads have sparked off my interest in Doom on the DC again too, it's been years since I messed around with Doom.

Any idea how many WADs are effected by the Visplane Overflow fatal error?
Across the Universe
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

DCDayDreamer wrote:Any idea how many WADs are effected by the Visplane Overflow fatal error?
Pretty much any of them that require a "limit removing" source port as per the readme will get this error, and possibly others. It's just the most common I've seen, usually because the modder went crazy with the level designs.

Ports specific mods (pwads) for ZDoom/GZDoom also add all sorts of of other features (instead of just changing/removing original Doom engine limits), and will not work period.
ImageImageImageImage
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

@ Stryfe: Have you had the Visplane Overflow fatal error with Hacx?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm playtesting the game thoroughly on the DC, that means going after everything at all difficulty settings. I'm generally pretty impatient (meaning crap) at FPS games with any difficulty level above 'whimp' but for this game I'm making an exception. I'm only at level 6 with all settings so far and everything seems ok, any heads up on possible problems would be appreciated (I'll even take time out and fix the WAD for a complete Dreamcast version if necessary).
Across the Universe
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Have you had the Visplane Overflow fatal error with Hacx?
I can't recall ever getting the error through normal gameplay. If do remember correctly, sometimes it is possible to get this error in the original, unmodded, Doom wads by using the IDCLIP command. This can be even more exemplified by modders stretching the limits of the original Doom/Doom2 engine, missing textures, missing patches, or even by them exploiting original engine bugs for certain effects.

A good sign that you may shortly get a visplane overflow is by witnessing the HOM effect.

Last edited by Stryfe on Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

It's been my intention to update the core I use for my Doom conversion (probably to prboom+), but I've just been so busy lately. I hope I can get some time for DC stuff here soon.
:?
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Chilly Willy wrote:...
but I've just been so busy lately. I hope I can get some time for DC stuff here soon.
:?
That sounds very cool. ;)

Can I ask what platforms you've been working on? I know you did stuff for PSP, and were until recently doing something with the Genesis/Cd/32X stuff.
ImageImageImageImage
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

I'm still mostly on the MD/CD/32X. I've been making improvements to the Neo Myth menu (along with Conle and madmonkey), and I'm hip deep in Wolf3D for the MCD.

I'm trying to make more time for DC and PSP this summer. My main projects are to get Doom updated with a more modern base - maybe PrBoom-Plus, and to get AvP going.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

How are things coming along Chilly?
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

I'm going to be working on Doom over the next few months... I've got the NeoFlash stuff done to a point where I don't have to put in as much time as I did over the summer. Most of the year until now was spent working on the MD then N64 Myth menus. Fortunately for me, mic is doing most of the work for the SNES Myth menu. I've been helping here and there with SD support, but he's doing most of the work himself... which is good since most of the menu is all his work anyway. It would take me a few weeks just to figure out how to shoe-horn SD support in. :lol: