Kingbuzzo's dvd covers

This forum is where you can show off your art, such as emulator software skins, DVD and CD covers; or discuss other art-related topics.
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kingbuzzo's dvd covers

Post by kingbuzzo »

I've noticed that many people have been making dvd covers for Dreamcast.

here's a few of my own additions since no one has made Kof covers. I'm working on kof 2000 right now.

Right now I'm working on one for Guilty Gear X

-removed work that wasn't fully my own.

thanks,

King.
Last edited by kingbuzzo on Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

I like the style you've chosen for the template, but I think it could be more polished. The Dreamcast logo on the front is noticeably stretched and I'm not sure about the pink text, especially not if it overlaps the screen shot.

The second one is pretty good though, the colors blend really well :)
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

The front covers on both of them look great. The side looks fine too. But the back covers on both, however, fall apart.

Let's start with the first one. The text needs to be smoothed out because it is too pixelated. The pink color is too bright to be read easily and draws too much attention to itself. Perhaps more of a pastel would make it blend better. Also, the text overlapping the screenshots really make the screenshots seem unimportant, which is bad since the average consumer will base a lot of their game-buying decisions on those screenshots. Those are the big three concerns. Addressing them will improve the cover immensely. Now, here are a couple of 'tweaking' suggestions. First, whenever you are making a cover, try to stray away from word splitting. That is, don't let a word run out of the space so that it has to be split. For example, look at the words 'landmark' and 'techniques'. See how they are split by a hyphen? Try to avoid that, since it hurts the readability of the sentence. Also, right now the screenshots look like they are just floating there. If you could find a way to tie them together so they don't look so tacked on, it would help.

Now, the second's back cover looks much better. The face shots on the left are nice, and the screenshots look more planned out, and not so tacked on. However, like the first one, the text needs work. First, fix the pixelation. Second, change the color to something that will contrast the background. Right now, the words 'tossed out' and 'oldskool' practically disappear in the lightning. The background and character shots are mostly made up of warm colors, so try a cool color to contrast. See that guy with the red hair and the purple jacket (I don't play KOF, so I don't know their names). The purple in his jacket seems like it would be a nice color to play off of with the text. Don't make a bright purple, but more of a pastel one. Another suggestion is to change the font. That font doesn't seem to fit the rest of the piece. I wouldn't pick anything with serifs, but just something less bland will help. In fact, I'd suggest the same thing with the first cover. For that cover, however, I'd use an italicised font, to contrast with the girl's slant.

Anyway, give those suggestions a try. You've got a good start, especially with the front of the covers. That just needs to echo to the back.
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

ya I didn't spend nearly as much time with the back as I did with the front.

thanks a lot for the tips.

I'm not familiar with "de-pixelating" fonts. The printed results don't look pixelated at all. I'm using glossy paper as well.

I changed a bit of the layout, and the font color for KOF 2001 though.
Last edited by kingbuzzo on Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

kingbuzzo wrote:I'm not familiar with "de-pixelating" fonts. The printed results don't look pixelated at all.
I totally apologize, I didn't realize that Imageshack scaled down the pictures, so that's why the fonts look pixelated. Please ignore the pixelation comments.

Anyway, the second attempt looks better. A few more suggestions:

1. The yellow looks muddy and doesn't fit right either. I'm glad you decided to warm it up a bit, but I suggest going a bit more orange. See that top screenshot with the timer at '55'? I'd use that color of orange for the text.

2. I'd still change the font to something else. Something that would go well with the KOF 2001 logo.

3. I can kinda see drop shadows, but I would push them more. Make them really stand out. Leave them kinda soft, but make them really visible. Same goes with the shadows on the screenshots.

4. On the front cover, the logo KOF 2001, try pushing it more to the right so it is next to the guy's head, not on top of it. I wouldn't suggest shrinking it to fit, but moving it right will help balance out all of the dead space over there.

Anyway, keep working at it. Its getting better.
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

I don't want to move the logo.

gave the font some italics and some contour

some more blending to the pics too.
Last edited by kingbuzzo on Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Getting better! I'm not quite sure if I like the embossing on the text, but it looks nice on the screenshots. Font color works well. I'd try centering the text instead of left aligned. One other thing: Read the last sentence on the back. It doesn't quite make sense. Did you leave a word out or something?
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

I took most of that write up from snk actually. Guess there's a bit of Engrish

edit: fixed, no more engrish, text has been centered. There's not much more I can do now without totally starting over I guess.

I'll pick up where I left off on the kof 2000 cover.

thanks,

King.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Awesome dude I have both games for DC mayber I should consider moving from cd slims to dvds
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

update. Did more work on both 01, 02, and finished 00.

I also put up some touches I've done on other people's contributions.

no more rough orange and stretched swirl :D

thanks,

King.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

I love the idea you've used to lay out the front of the Shenmue cover - that's a totally different take on it.
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

Lyris wrote:I love the idea you've used to lay out the front of the Shenmue cover - that's a totally different take on it.
I didn't make that one. All I did was touch it up a bit, and throw on dc logos
Shiima
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Shiima »

I applause for Shenmue, Dead or Alive II, and MvC 2 covers. Those are very well done.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

kingbuzzo wrote:
Lyris wrote:I love the idea you've used to lay out the front of the Shenmue cover - that's a totally different take on it.
I didn't make that one. All I did was touch it up a bit, and throw on dc logos
Touched up someone else's work? I think you should atleast credit the person/people who first made those covers.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Yeah, that's plagiarism. Definitely give the original author a credit.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

BTW I thank * someone * for the pics in my sig, to the brush creators, and of course, the people behind the fonts.

It looks ugly here, 'cause of the reduced size. At least I'm not too happy with it.
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

now working on a GGX cover. Haven't written up anything yet for the back. I hope I got every character on there cause there's not much more room left :p