Genesis Plus GUI Artwork

This forum is where you can show off your art, such as emulator software skins, DVD and CD covers; or discuss other art-related topics.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Blue and silver and black are my favorite colours :D
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
ianjdavies
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ianjdavies »

Lyris, those screenshots look incredible. They're so sleek and professional - they're in a totally different league to anything I've seen before! They look fun too, and having the paused game subtly in the background is a great idea. The 'select ROM file' shot looks slightly empty, but I'm sure there's a reason for that with the DC's processing power and such things.

This is truly awesome! Have you ever thought about doing this sort of thing professionally? Your game covers are of a very high standard too.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I understand there is a lot of transparency and other visual effects in here that probably won't be possible, so of course if this layout were to be used I'd obviously tone it down and work around when necessary.
Actually, I don't think you would. I should be able to handle transparencies, and other kinds of visual effects. Well, as long as I can get the DC's 3D hardware to render it.

Oh, and your mockups are at a higher resolution than the Dreamcast is capable of, not that it really matters too much. I'm going for 640x480, which is the highest resolution that can be displayed on an NTSC TV. A PAL TV can display 768x576, but I'd rather not have a separate set of menu graphics for PAL users. At the moment, the emulator doesn't even work correctly in PAL video modes...

One thing that might be a bit difficult though... Having the current image from the game in the background. At the moment, that's not possible, because of the way the image is rendered (the 3D hardware is used to do the game drawing, instead of rendering to a texture as most emulators do). That's not to say that it's impossible though. I can think of two ways to do it.
Saiyan Eye
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Saiyan Eye »

I got a voice synthesizer to do a sound for when the Genesis+ logo is displayed...

http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/saiyaneye0/genesis_.wav
--==--
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Speaking of the logo... can someone come up with a better one? The existing one looks a bit crappy, to be honest. Writing the name of the emulator in the same font that Sega used for their logo seems a little unimaginative.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Oh, and your mockups are at a higher resolution than the Dreamcast is capable of, not that it really matters too much. I'm going for 640x480, which is the highest resolution that can be displayed on an NTSC TV. A PAL TV can display 768x576, but I'd rather not have a separate set of menu graphics for PAL users. At the moment, the emulator doesn't even work correctly in PAL video modes...
Yeah, I did them at a much higher res on purpose, so they could all be scaled down. I'm guessing if there's a PAL mode at all, it'll just be a standard bordered one.

And a new logo hmm... I'll try and come up with something.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Quite plain, but is this along the right lines?
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

gimme a few hours and i'll work on something...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

some logo designs ill let lyris play with them if he wants them
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Don't know if it's my choice, but I really like the first of your new logos :D
The only change I would make would be to make it very slightly more readable, just by changing the S characters a little.

I really like that first one though - it sort of looks like the "Sega Genesis" logo font only made more futuristic. I think any one of those would look great, except maybe the pixellated font, which is a little too plain if you ask me :)
ianjdavies
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ianjdavies »

Hmmm. I actually really liked the original logo in the Sega font - I thought it looked great! I don't think the first of those is very readable, and if I had to choose one it would probably be the 4th. I still think the original "sega style" one is best of all. Lyris, I can't see the one you posted up there still... maybe you could send it to me?

Ian
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

The third one reminds me a lot of the Sky One (or Sky Onc depending on how you read it) logo and the PS3 logos sony have shown so far... I like the font but I think it's been used before so that's why I prefer the first. The first is interesting yet also immediately recognizable as saying "Genesis" (or at least it will be after a change or two?)

Personally I think the one in the SEGA font looks OK, but probably is a bit overrused.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Hmmm? :)
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

This rocks! :D
Insane homebrew collector.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I'm gonna post some hopefully useful info in here from the http://www.DCEmu.co.uk dev forum:
Me wrote: http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewto ... eas#563266
My idea was - allow the emulator to display loads of information, but leave it up to whoever's creating the disc to compile it. Basically, you can select games based on the games themselves, not by file name, and you can put a load of additional information in there. At last count...

Can store multiple versions of a game under the same name
Game information
Name of game
Mutiple languages, chosen based on the Dreamcast's language setting, or a menu option.
Different names for different regions if applicable (like Contra, or Streets of Rage), again based on the Dreamcast's region/language setting or a menu option
Image of games logo (again, multiple versions if applicable)
List of supported languages in-game
Release date (in multiple regions if applicable)
Developer, Publisher (with logos)
Supported peripherals
Other information (like number of players, game rating if it had one)
Graphics
Screenshots (multiple, can be region or language based)
Box scans (multiple regions again), which are displayed in 3D wrapped around an actual box
Custom background image for info screen
Scanned manuals (different langauges/regions if you want)
Other scanned documents (magazine reviews, previews, adverts, posters)
Extra stuff
Game reviews
Hint + tips
Cheats (both in-game and codes)
Passwords
Save games if the game itself supports them
Game soundtrack (probably Ogg Vorbis or VGM/GYM/similar)
Any other text that might be interesting, like game history, walkthrough, whatever)

The idea is that you could write a disc with a few of your favourite games, and put in as much additional information as you like. For example, you could put all the Sonic games onto one CD, along with every piece of information you could find, alternate versions, complete box art and manuals from all regions, and as much else as you want. Or, if you like, you could just stick the raw games on a CD and go with that.
[...]I had a thought about what if you don't have the scan of the entire box, only the front? A solution would be to wrap the front scan also to the back, using the side for the name of the ROM/game to display. If there isn't any scan, there could be a template of the box (in the suitable language version US/JP/EU) where the name displays on front and side, while the back holds some info custom text/info that the user would have to write down into a config file.

Here's a quick mock up that I've prepared yesterday:

PSD download (incl. notes)
http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... plates.rar

It's a quite big PSD file due to beeing converted by Corel Photopaint (that I use still a lot).

Here are lowered quality/resized preview pics:

The sonic pic in the JP template is just there to make it look a bit more...well it's maybe a placeholder for the GPDC logos (WaCk0? Politoe?) / something that applies to the default theme of GPDC...

I did these templates without any original boxes (which I still have at my parent's house). I'll have a look at scanning some of my EU/JP/US games and maybe create another bunch of new and better templates these days if you wish.
...which I still didn't do :(

If maybe anyone of you graphic artists will have a look into doing something like this?

BlackAura wrote:I think it might be generally a good idea to include some information with the emulator, so even if people don't add box scans and stuff, they can still use most of the UI features. For example, a copy of the blurb that goes on the back of the box...

For the back of the box, we could pull any screenshots we have, and composite them onto the back along with the text. If we don't have any screenshots, we just do a boring text-only back...

For the auto-generated front, we could just put a GP/DC logo there, but if we have a screenshot of the title screen we can use that instead...

Actually generating the images might be slightly painful, but probably not too hard.
The measurements of an MD box:

Box:
Height: 17,6 cm
Lenght: 12,7cm
Side: 2,5 cm

Insert:
Height: 17,2 cm
Lenght: 12,2 cm
Side: 2,35 cm
Last edited by Christuserloeser on Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insane homebrew collector.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

And a smaller version in the bottom right...
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

That looks awesome Lyris.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
ianjdavies
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by ianjdavies »

Actually, that new logo now looks very nice! Changing the S made all the difference, and the matching 3D effect is nice. I do still like the original, but this is more... erm.. original.

Looking good!
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Thanks guys, but the logo's souLLy's suggestion, I just added some soft shadowing and changed the S's around :)
WaCk0
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by WaCk0 »

Nice job Lyris! Really cool design.

I'll try something with box template. :mrgreen: