Shenmue question

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Shenmue question

Post by Nico0020 »

Does the PAL version of Shenmue 1 have the same voice settings as Shenmue 2 (JP voices w/ English subs)? I wouldn't mind playing around in the game again, but after playing the pal version of shenmue 2 years ago it's hard to go back to the terrible english voice actors.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Re: Shenmue question

Post by cube_b3 »

Yes the english voice acting is not great, the voice actor for Mark has recorded the worst VA in the history of VA, and what is even more horrible is the fact that no one at Sega heard his recording cause it is obvious he was reading through the text, without any expression or tonal variation.

There is a part in the passport where he has to say something like I love driving the forklift, win races, ha ha ha and he literally read the whole part without any expression somebody should have stopped his recording there and then it was sad and quite surprising that no one was paying attention, I mean bad acting/over acting are sort of expected out of cheap actors, but no acting is just unethical.

Anyway as far as I know only the japanese version had japanese voice actors.
Grimlock
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Grimlock »

The European version of Shenmue I is the same as the American version.

There is however one HUGE difference between the two that makes the European version superior, and thats the ability to transfer your completed save from the first game over to the second. So, if you're considering buying it, thats reason enough to do so.

Hail Picard!
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yeah that is why I bought the european version as well.