LCD or Plasma that works with DC VGA Box

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
anal=probe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LCD or Plasma that works with DC VGA Box

Post by anal=probe »

I'm looking to get a 40" 1080p plasma (or maybe LCD) TV and was wondering if I get one with PC input or analog RGB (D-Sub 15-pin) if that works with VGA box. I tried searching for this and it seems like people that have tried this can't get it to work. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am excited to get my Dreamcast displaying 480p through VGA box now that I am maybe going to break down soon and finally get an HDTV.
Christuserloeser

Re: LCD or Plasma that works with DC VGA Box

Post by Christuserloeser »

Yeah, it will work and it looks pretty amazing. :D
Insane homebrew collector.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

It will not be sure to work. I have a 47in LCD and it's vga input is not compatible with the DC's vga out. Avoid 47LG70 for that
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
anal=probe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by anal=probe »

I think I'm just going to have to get one with PC input and make sure I can take it back. It's kind of hard to find info on and kinda hard to find one that has PC input. Like I'll find a great deal on one that has everything I else prefect for like $600, but then the most similar one with PC input is closer to $1000. I can see why a lot of TVs don't have it as this the only thing I can think of PC input being really useful for since PCs do HDMI now.

Christ what kind of TV do you have?
Christuserloeser

I myself use an old CRT monitor for much of my Dreamcasting. I have an even older Grundig EDTV in my living room. - My brother's Samsung LCD (LE32A436T1D) however does produce a much better picture than the Grundig, although a tiny hint of a nuance 'softer' than the CRT monitor.
anal=probe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by anal=probe »

I'm thinking maybe this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6889187121

the manual says it does these VGA resolutions w/ PC input:
resolution, horizontal frequency (kHz), vertical frequency (Hz)
640 × 400 @70, 31.47, 70.08
640 × 480 @60, 31.47, 59.94
Macintosh13” (640 × 480), 35.00, 66.67
640 × 480 @75, 37.50, 75.00

Has anyone tried it on a NTSC Panasonic like that?
anal=probe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by anal=probe »

I think I might get a 1080i Trinitron 16:9 CRT instead since people are leaving them on the curb these days for big LCDs.
nymus
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by nymus »

16:9 CRT TV?

googles...
behold the mind
inspired by Dreamcast
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

My westinghouse TX-47F430S works great with the VGA box (except with light gun games). It's an older 1080P LCD, but it does the trick.
Christuserloeser

anal=probe wrote:I think I might get a 1080i Trinitron 16:9 CRT instead since people are leaving them on the curb these days for big LCDs.
A modern LCD is a hundred times better than any of those old HD CRTs, even the cheap ones.

Chances that you end up with a LCD which VGA port actually is incompatible with Dreamcast (and Wii) are none to very slim.

So if money isn't an issue, I'd go with a modern LCD. 720p is good enough (and waaay better than 1080i anyway).
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:
anal=probe wrote:I think I might get a 1080i Trinitron 16:9 CRT instead since people are leaving them on the curb these days for big LCDs.
A modern LCD is a hundred times better than any of those old HD CRTs, even the cheap ones.
I'll have to disagree with that in this instance. For playback of SD material an HD CRT will look better than an HD LCD. Even modern LCDs don't upscale very well, especially when compared to a high quality CRT. This is even more true when you look at the cheap ones, which tend to use odd resolutions. When you throw in the possibility of an interlaced signal on top of the rest, CRT wins hands down.

Not to mention that LCDs tend to add a nasty lag to analog inputs and are incompatible with lightgun stuff.

I've got a 22in SGI CRT that does up to 1600x1200 and side by side compairison with a good quality LCD monitor for DC gaming clearly demonstrates how poorly LCDs do with non-native analog resolutions. Hell, just hook up a PC to a TV via DVI and VGA to see the difference when using the ADC.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
anal=probe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by anal=probe »

I think I'm going to get the TC-P42G10 so I can get 1080p for htpc and blu-ray and vga for dreamcast. I hear plasmas are actually very good these days and don't have the burn in problems like older ones. And they are kind of dying out like crt so they are probably the best they are ever going to get. Basically what will fill there gap I was told is led lcds to have the good viewing angles and deep blacks that lcds lack.

this thread confirms the G10 series works awesome with dreamcast
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st16599304

I was thinking with a crt the only thing that is really 1080p for me to use is blu-ray. Consoles, aside from a handful of ps3 and 360 games, are all lower than 1080p. I don't even have either console. Problem is those big Sony's are like 150+ pounds so I probably couldn't even get that up 4 flights of stairs even though they sell for like $200 used these days. I was thinking of just using the hdmi for 1080i max htpc and keep using dreamcast via s-video.

$200 was very a tempting bargain to get all the hd resolutions except for 1080p and dreamcast vga though. I also just love my 24" wega so much and was kinda hoping for a hd version of that. This guy here was even using one as a monitor
http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/sho ... stcount=56
anal=probe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by anal=probe »

Quzar wrote:I'll have to disagree with that in this instance. For playback of SD material an HD CRT will look better than an HD LCD. Even modern LCDs don't upscale very well, especially when compared to a high quality CRT. This is even more true when you look at the cheap ones, which tend to use odd resolutions. When you throw in the possibility of an interlaced signal on top of the rest, CRT wins hands down.
That was my thinking as all my tv habits are currently in 480i because I still get analog cable sdtv somehow. PS2 and Wii can easily be upgraded to component, but I'm definitely going to have to upgrade to satellite TV or equivalent. 480i i heard looks real bad on non crt hdtv. It will be an easy habit to break. That analog cable I still get is like 95% advertising anyway.