2d Fighters on dreamcast pad :(

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2d Fighters on dreamcast pad :(

Post by FiendWithoutAface »

I am interested in picking up some 2d fighters on DC but the standard controller is extremely lacking for these sort of games. Anyone know of some good alternatives that work well with 2d fighters?
Christuserloeser

Re: 2d Fighters on dreamcast pad :(

Post by Christuserloeser »

I do recommend a set of SEGA Arcade Sticks. Using the Total Control PlayStation controller adapters available for Dreamcast, you can also choose from a wide range of PS1/2 arcade sticks. Some of those might be much cheaper than the original SEGA ones are now... (Last I checked it was €60!) - also some of them come with built-in rumble support :)
Insane homebrew collector.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

The DC arcade sticks are pretty good and are also great if you like playing 2D shooters or any fighting game for that matter. The sticks are solid but the buttons aren't microswitched if that's someting that bothers you. You might also want to check out the Treamcast Pad or even the MadCatz Dream Pad as I think it had 6 buttons on the face. I've never used either of these so I can't vouch vouch for their reliability. Apparenty the PS2 Saturn Pad is good when used with a Total Control Adapter but that's just what I've heard.

The DC pad isn't bad. At first I thought it was too sharp and angular under my thumb, but after having a 360 for a while and having to put up with the d-pad on its controllers, the DC one plays pretty well.

You might want to try Capcom Vs. SNK as they ditched the 6 button attacks (lost the medium strength punch/kick) and plumped for just 4 so it's quite well suited to the DC pad. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 also did the same and it's pretty good fun too.
BB Hood
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BB Hood »

http://www.massystems.com/ProStick.html
http://www.estarland.com/Playstation2.c ... 18432.html
^ I got it from estarland. Sorry its out of stock. You have to use a ps2 to dc converter.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

i got this one from liksang when it existed... it might not be the best there is, but its a good choice anyway!

a couple of links i googled
consolesandgadgets- £27.99 (a little expensive imo)
hkgtoys - scroll to the bottom of the page, there are various arcade sticks from $15 to $25
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

The DC's d-pad is really good, but it can't be compared to others. All other d-pads are intended to be pressed by sliding your thumb over it, while the DC's d-pad is intended to be pressed by keeping your thumb on the center and rolling it around (yeah, I have no idea if this description made any sense). I prefer using the DC's d-pad in some games, the Saturn's one in others, and any of them in most.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I agree Manoel. The Dreamcast controller is excellent, especially the d-pad! It's great for emulation, homebrew and shmups. I am even using it on PC via my PC Magic Box (supports DC, SAT and PS1/2).

- However, for 2D Fighters, an arcade stick is the way to go.
Insane homebrew collector.
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by FiendWithoutAface »

I don't have a problem with the D pad. Its the friggen triggers that are giving me trouble.
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

I use a Saturn pad and an adapter, same for PC, works ok I guess.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
X525
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by X525 »

i could never get used to using the dpad.. i had to pick up two arcade sticks for the 2d fighters and shooters