Fightoon

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MapleBuster »

Well those white super heroes with blonde hair are stereotypical - Nazis! Exactly what Hitler wanted for his Arian super race lol

As for Gangsta Rappers, are you saying they are or aren't stereotypical ? Gangsta rap is about empowering black people, as opposed to belittleing and segregating
them. About making great music. Unless you believe that Gangsta rappers are nasty gun toting bastards. Which would be strange cos some of the most famous Gangsta rappers in Biggie, Tupac et al were shot dead and most others bear the scars of survival.

I think the point is that the character in Fightoon has an affro hair cut, a jamaican costume and is fighting. It harks back to a stereotype of black people that was long ago denounced by most people as a ridiculous parody aimed at making white people feel superior.

By all means keep the character in though. I wasn't trying to twist anyones arm, I just felt a sense of revulsion when I saw it that I thought may possibly be felt by others.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Make the main character an emo who slits his wrists and bleeds on you, then says sorry and dies. Wicked.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

MapleBuster wrote:As for Gangsta Rappers, are you saying they are or aren't stereotypical ? Gangsta rap is about empowering black people, as opposed to belittleing and segregating
them. About making great music. Unless you believe that Gangsta rappers are nasty gun toting bastards. Which would be strange cos some of the most famous Gangsta rappers in Biggie, Tupac et al were shot dead and most others bear the scars of survival.
I always wondered about that--is "gangsta rap" actually an accepted term, or is that just a dismissive phrase used by conservative white Christian talking heads? The only place I've seen it used regularly is by people like Bill O'Reilly, and we all know how culturally informed he is :P
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

I'm sure it's got something to do with music, like emo lol.
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

MapleBuster wrote:As for Gangsta Rappers, are you saying they are or aren't stereotypical? Gangsta rap is about empowering black people, as opposed to belittleing and segregating them. About making great music. Unless you believe that Gangsta rappers are nasty gun toting bastards.
"Empowering" isn't the best word to describe the pimp/criminal/hedonist image they show in their lyrics... as an example, check this parody translation.

Oh, and the bit about "making great music" is debateable too. :P
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

MapleBuster wrote:Well those white super heroes with blonde hair are stereotypical - Nazis! Exactly what Hitler wanted for his Arian super race lol

As for Gangsta Rappers, are you saying they are or aren't stereotypical ? Gangsta rap is about empowering black people, as opposed to belittleing and segregating

I think the point is that the character in Fightoon has an affro hair cut, a jamaican costume and is fighting. It harks back to a stereotype of black people that was long ago denounced by most people as a ridiculous parody aimed at making white people feel superior.

By all means keep the character in though. I wasn't trying to twist anyones arm, I just felt a sense of revulsion when I saw it that I thought may possibly be felt by others.
Gangster rap is about selling out and making $$$ who are nasty gun toting bastards. [sarcasim]I also feel way better when I see black people with afros.[/end sarcasim]

Now, on to the game. I understand it is in the early stages and think it has potential to be a really good game just depends how it plays mabye some videos will make that more apparent? I'd like to see them.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

Stormwatch wrote:
MapleBuster wrote:As for Gangsta Rappers, are you saying they are or aren't stereotypical? Gangsta rap is about empowering black people, as opposed to belittleing and segregating them. About making great music. Unless you believe that Gangsta rappers are nasty gun toting bastards.
"Empowering" isn't the best word to describe the pimp/criminal/hedonist image they show in their lyrics... as an example, check this parody translation.

Oh, and the bit about "making great music" is debateable too. :P
:D

I guess it's like the characters in a film. Is John Travolta a hitman in a Tarantino film, a boy in a bubble, a disco dancer ? Or simply an actor.

Was Biggie a songwriter or a gangster ?

I've no idea what it takes to live out your life in a ghetto. I'm sure it's not easy.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

We will do some more improvements on the game before releasing a video.
MapleBuster wrote:I think the point is that the character in Fightoon has an affro hair cut, a jamaican costume and is fighting.
A Jamaican costume? Now I'm surprised.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

Videos of the game would be good. Is the game anywhere near completion ?

Would be cool to see the fight mechanics in motion. After all that's where the game will be won or lost.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

MapleBuster wrote:I don't particularly like the characters-a bit too stereotypical and a hint of racism, though I'm sure that's not intentional.
Racial and cultural stereotypes are a *VERY* strong tradition in fighting games. Look at the Punch-Out! games, Street Fighter games or Ready 2 Rumble boxing. In fact, I think you'd have a hard time finding a fighter that *DOESN'T* use stereotypes.

There's nothing wrong with stereotypes--in video games or in general life--as long as you know they're stereotypes.

...word is bondage...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

MapleBuster wrote:As for Gangsta Rappers, are you saying they are or aren't stereotypical ? Gangsta rap is about empowering black people, as opposed to belittleing and segregating them. About making great music. Unless you believe that Gangsta rappers are nasty gun toting bastards. Which would be strange cos some of the most famous Gangsta rappers in Biggie, Tupac et al were shot dead and most others bear the scars of survival.
I meant that Gangsta rappers in video games would be stereotypical. Thinking of it, real rappers act stereotypical too. That's probably part of becoming a true artist. The person we see isn't really identical with the artist himself, he created a character.
DaMadFiddler wrote:I always wondered about that--is "gangsta rap" actually an accepted term, or is that just a dismissive phrase used by conservative white Christian talking heads? The only place I've seen it used regularly is by people like Bill O'Reilly, and we all know how culturally informed he is :P
Good question. I got no idea about rap at all, so I probably shouldn't be talking about it. Personally I like the concept of rap and I think I would enjoy listening to Arrested Development and Del Tha Funky Homosapien, but I got no records of them yet.

If I am not completely wrong, 'Gangsta rap' is a term that's commonly used here in Germany for at least a certain kind of rap. Whether it actually is meant as a dismissive phrase I am not sure about.
Sweater Fish wrote:There's nothing wrong with stereotypes--in video games or in general life--as long as you know they're stereotypes.
Yeah, my comment didn't aim towards banning stereotypes from video games. I just thought that it would be wrong to kick out such a cool character from Fightoon because some (white?) people complained about it.
Insane homebrew collector.
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

MapleBuster wrote:I like the graphical style. It's bright and fun-looking. I don't particularly like the characters-a bit too stereotypical and a hint of racism, though I'm sure that's not intentional. They are rendered well with a cute look, it's lovely stuff in the main.
I guess I also don't understand why you thought the characters were a bit too stereotypical. There are many black people that do have afros, even bigger than the character in this game. As for the other character, the white guy looks sort of like Vanilla Ice did, back in the day.

Ultimately, the people that do things like that with their hair do so and it attracts attention. Vanilla Ice's hair. Ben Wallace's hair. These people attract attention, and their hair is part of their persona.

In my opinion, what a more perfect person to put in a cartoon, over the top fighting game. You wouldn't want the simple, boring characters. You would want the crazy Vanilla Ice or Ben Wallace inspired people.

As for the idea that because he is a black guy with an afro fighting it automatically makes him a bad stereotype, I think you're wrong. By the way, the "Jamaican" costume is a coincidence of a secondary color scheme. But seriously -- because in a fighting game, there is a black person fighting you find that to be a "ridiculous parody"?

The white guy is also there fighting. He has crazy hair. He looks wacky. In fact, while I know a number of black people who have afros, I actually don't know ONE person who looks like Vanilla Ice did back in the day. So wouldn't the real question be if the white guy should be removed as a stereotype? Should we protect people from other races from his image because we might be worried that suddenly all white people will be associated with Vanilla Ice?

I hope not.
leileilol
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by leileilol »

DON'T CUT THE AFRO MAN PLEASE :( he has lots of characters dont listen to these "hey hey hey! you have a different character" jerks

put in a hopping corpse too and a chainsaw killer
POOPOO
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I don't see what the big deal is personally. It's Fragger's game and he can make the characters however he wants. He's not being offensive or racist, so get over it. :roll:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I hate Jim Davidson as much as the next Guardian reader, but I really can't see anything racist at all in that character.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
b0b
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by b0b »

stereotype characters? c'mon :roll:

it's part of all good beat'm'ups.
btw i like the main character. this afro and this coolness - it really cool. remember me of williams in "enter the dragon" (i have never seen such a cool character in a martial arts movie). and i really don't think, that i'm a racist.

you should make some female characters too. it should be so 50 to 50 (male to female). i play more with the female charcters in beat'm'ups than with male - except of street fighter and mortal kombat...

some technical questions at fragger:
how many polygons are you using per fighter (how many are you ABLE to use)? how many animation-frames? how many fighters do you want in the final version? are you going to release the cellshading-code? (i've really waited for this ^^)

sorry for my english - i don't use it really much :oops:
IiLuSiv
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by IiLuSiv »

I haven't posted in a while but all I have to say is, this looks fine to me. I understand the visual style and I personally find the graphics impressive, I also realize they are going to progress further and better as they go on. I am glad to see someone putting time and effort into truly developing a new dreamcast game, I know how much work this takes and I respect all involved.

I don't think you guys (the goat guys) need to worry about the nay sayers, they are probably unemployed and won't buy anything anyways. People are going to purchase your game because it is a NEW dreamcast game, and they take pride in that in being part of the DC scene. I respect all the work you've done, and althought I probably won't be buying your game, (I don't play games anymore) I wish you all the best of luck and would love to see how far the scene has progressed because of the work you all are putting in.

This game looks to take the "indie" and "homebrew" whatever the fukk you wanna call it, to the next level, and at the end of the day that is really all that matters. If the scene last for as long as it already has, people will look back and comment on this game as a milestone for development.

This topic has really degraded into idiocy, with the talk of "racist" characters. If I were anyone involved in the game, I would just stop talking to this unskilled jackasses, develop my game, and sell it as it is. You weaken your position when you even listen to not even compromise to dipshyts.
I have a secret...
you
got
punkd
lo

ser
MapleBuster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MapleBuster »

Woa there tigers !

I should have realised that remark would distract the thread. I'm really sorry about that, hope you're not too mad at me. It was only a tiny fraction of my original post which was meant to be about how much I liked the game. I think the character had already been removed from the game before that post. I have a feeling he will be reinstated now !

Apologies and good luck with the game.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

MapleBuster wrote:I should have realised that remark would distract the thread. I'm really sorry about that, hope you're not too mad at me. It was only a tiny fraction of my original post which was meant to be about how much I liked the game.
It's okay I think. It's probably a fact that video games hardly ever can be politcally correct, except maybe you're doing a Tetris or Sokoban clone.
Insane homebrew collector.
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

Is the game running in hardware? or software?